Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Meteorite impact in Urals

79 posts in this topic

Posted

Not so sure about the Russian missiles shooting it down, but....

http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

A series of explosions in the skies of Russia
1 person likes this

Posted

Wow. It was much brighter than I expected. I think I would have freaked out if it blew out my windows and made my cell phone stop working.

Posted

There are some videos out there of the shockwave. That thing would have been terrifying

Posted

Here's another one (boom @ 12 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRqK3OWLqs

Posted

I'm not an expert but i think there was no chance to use missles - impact was too unpredictable and sudden. Anyway, it must be connected to 2012 DA14 asteroid - this meteorite was probably some debris of asteroid.

Posted

Latest report: 500 dead.

Posted

Latest report: 500 dead.

Injured, not dead.

Posted

Injured, not dead.

Media here says 400+ injured mainly by flying glass. RT says 500. Either way this is a major incident as injuries of any kind from meteorites are exceedingly rare, but when they do happen big ones cause bunches.

Whatever, something a bit larger than this hitting a densly populated area could cause much more than glass cuts. Maybe this will get interest restarted in an international space-watch / meteor interception system.

Posted

There is a near miss due in about 9 hours, this could have been some debris from that

Posted

Either way this is a major incident as injuries of any kind from meteorites are exceedingly rare, but when they do happen big ones cause bunches.

No doubt. Hundreds and maybe even thousands of households have had their windows blown at their homes, in winter. That's a major inconvenience, to say the least, and a risk of overexposure to cold.

Some people are also in critical conditions.

Maybe this will get interest restarted in an international space-watch / meteor mitigation system.

I sure hope so. However, this would probably mean placing weapons onto the orbit - a practise now banned by the international treaties.

Posted

Treaties can change, and maybe they should. The missile interceptor, rail gun and directed energy techs are maturing rapidly, so perhaps it's time to start the conversation before a 50,000 mph Volkswagen (or Lincoln!!) lands in a metropolitan area.

Posted

Supposidly it was around several meters in diameter. What damage would one 20m cause, it's really unlikly it would hit a city but the sonic boom alone injured over 500 people. A slightly larger one could cause a mini Tunguska event.

Posted

The invasion has begun. Time to restart the XCOM project and prepare the troops.

Seriously though, that is awesome.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe this will get interest restarted in an international space-watch / meteor interception system.

To bad it's virtually impossible to watch a 360 degree ever expanding sphere. heck meteors don't even glow or anything so you can't watch it by optical means. no matter what way we do it we'll be extremely lucky to detect them with much more than a few hours warning, even an hour would actually be pretty lucky depending on the speed.

Posted

"I was just a child when the stars fell from the skies..."

(Ace Combat 4 intro for those who don't get it)

Posted

That is pretty awesome, in the truest sense of the word. The video captures of it entering the atmosphere gave me goosebumps. Are there any pictures of the impact site? I wonder how big a crater is. Anyone know how far away it landed from this Russian city?

Posted

An astronaut dropped their Nokia phone?

5 people like this

Posted

It's incredible that it happened on the same day that another meteor is supposed to pass within 17,000 miles of Earth. For perspective, the moon is 238,900 miles away. This is a very interesting year already! And we're supposed to have two bright comets this year as well!

Posted

Some of the news sites were reporting this to be the resulting crater:

(Don't think so though)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derweze

Posted

That is pretty awesome, in the truest sense of the word. The video captures of it entering the atmosphere gave me goosebumps. Are there any pictures of the impact site? I wonder how big a crater is. Anyone know how far away it landed from this Russian city?

The photos won't look like much, apparently the meteorite landed in a lake. The BBC News article has more information, as well as a map to give you an idea of where it landed.

Posted

The photos won't look like much, apparently the meteorite landed in a lake. The BBC News article has more information, as well as a map to give you an idea of where it landed.

Thanks for the link. Too bad about it hitting water though, it would have been interesting to see the aftermath.

Posted

This video has the best audio, after the inital shockwave you can clearly hear the meteor disintegrating

Some of the news sites were reporting this to be the resulting crater:

That's actually a crater caused by a drilling rig collapse over a cavern filled with natural gas. To stop any explosion due to gas buildup they lit the gas and it's been burning since 1971.
2 people like this

Posted

Could be the start of an alien invasion.

Posted

That sonic boom was incredible. Way louder than I expected.