england zimbabwe old family remedy starving bacteria

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:27

A nurse is researching whether an old family remedy using sugar to heal wounds does actually work.

Moses Murandu, from Zimbabwe, grew up watching his father use granulated sugar to treat wounds.

Sugar is thought to draw water away from wounds and prevent bacteria from multiplying.

Early results from a trial on 35 hospital patients in Birmingham are encouraging, but more research is needed.

One of the patients who received sugar treatment on a wound was 62-year-old Alan Bayliss from Birmingham.

He had undergone an above-the knee amputation on his right leg at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham and, as part of the surgery, a vein was removed from his left leg leaving a wound which would not heal properly.

Murandu, who is studying for a doctorate at Birmingham University, was contacted and asked to treat the wound with sugar.
Fast recovery

Mr Bayliss said: "It has been revolutionary. The actual wound was very deep - it was almost as big as my finger.

"When Moses first did the dressing he almost used the whole pot of sugar, but two weeks later he only needed to use four or five teaspoons.

The treatment is thought to work because applying sugar to a wound draws the water away, thereby starving the bacteria of what it needs to grow. This prevents the bacteria from multiplying and they die.

more

#2 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 15 February 2013 - 18:35

When I cut my lip I always put sugar on it and it heals up really quickly :).

Tasty at the same time as well :alien:

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:37

Nice to read something good about sugar for a change. :)

#4 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,735 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:37

Hah! I told you healthy eating people that sugar was good for you, and not just in making you feel good ;)

#5 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,878 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:44

hmm might try that next time. im sure salt would be just as good but downside it would hurt like hell.

spose there is truth in it, when i get a cold i put my body on the verge of dehydration. kills it fast cus no water for it to mulitply

#6 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,122 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 20:48

Not new at all - Egyptian & Greek physicians were using honey bandages to heal serious wounds over 3,000 years ago, and using honeys made from certain plants to heal diabetic and other slow healing wounds has been used successfully for almost 20 years in the US.

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:58

Mr Bayliss said: "It has been revolutionary.

Hardly. It's been around forever.

#8 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,327 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:00

People didn't know this?

Couple years ago my uncle sliced up his thumb really bad. Used sugar on it and wrapped it up. Healed up without issue.

#9 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:05

Doesn't work for me, I got a hole in my tooth and sugar didn't fix it :shiftyninja:

Being serious though, it is my tried and proven method for instantly curing hiccups, eat 1 teaspoon of sugar and they're gone, medically it works by voodoo magic, making certain parts of the mouth/throat contract or something amazing

Learned it by reading about the 7-8 yr old who made a hiccup curing lollipop and explained why its ingredients worked