maryland sears valley mall access ramp

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 +Tech Greek

Tech Greek

Neowinian

• 614 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:57

I hope the role of the police in the crash is going to be investigated, as all too often such incidents are the result of aggressive pursuits. Police pursuits shouldn't increase the risk to other motorists and pedestrians. It's why most countries don't pursue suspects as aggressively as the US.

The police have rules pertaining to a pursuit - they can't just slam their car into oncoming traffic to end it. Most of the time if a driver is driving like a maniac the pursuit will get called off.

I call it natural selection - you shouldn't have been driving in the wrong lane of traffic. I do not feel pity for someone like that, I feel pity for the driver that did nothing wrong and ended up in a head on collision.

All I'm saying is that every incident like this should be investigated to ensure that the general public was not put at undue risk and that the police officers acted appropriately. The police need to be held accountable for their actions. I'm not saying the police even did anything wrong, just that it should be investigated to ensure they did not.

There should never be a time where the officer putting their lives on the line are assumed guilty until proven innocent. If there are an absorbent amount of suspicious activity by a police officer sure - but just over any incident?

#32 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,342 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:15

There should never be a time where the officer putting their lives on the line are assumed guilty until proven innocent.

No, but neither should they be presumed innocent. There should be an independent investigation to determine the actions of the officers involved without any preconceived notions. It's very dangerous to allow a culture whereby the police aren't held accountable and believe they are above the law, as evidenced by the horrific policing in the Dorner case.

#33 +Tech Greek

Tech Greek

Neowinian

• 614 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:21

No, but neither should they be presumed innocent. There should be an independent investigation to determine the actions of the officers involved without any preconceived notions. It's very dangerous to allow a culture whereby the police aren't held accountable and believe they are above the law, as evidenced by the horrific policing in the Dorner case.

I assure you, IA is always looking very closely at everything that goes on. Perhaps you have a future job there? :woot:

There is no doubt that some officers can go on a power trip, but there is always a higher up in command authorizing/calling off pursuits like this. I will never say that all officers are innocent, but to bundle them all together as "probably bad" is not right in my opinion.

#34 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:22

I will never say that all officers are innocent, but to bundle them all together as "probably bad" is not right in my opinion.

I agree.

#35 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:56

I guess the presumption of innocence doesn't exist anymore in north america.

#36 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:00

I guess the presumption of innocence doesn't exist anymore in north america.

It may in a court of law but public opinion ain't a court of law. People are very hardened these days and they assume everyone is guilty of something.

#37 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,544 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:12

The chases incipient act was his trying to escape via stealing the car, and as for his death: karma's a bitch, and Darwin wins again.

#38 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:19

Crooks are presumed innocent until proved guilty by a Jury. The Police, who put their life on the line every time they go to work, should and are offered the same privilege.

#39 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,342 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 13:44

Crooks are presumed innocent until proved guilty by a Jury. The Police, who put their life on the line every time they go to work, should and are offered the same privilege.

And if I was talking about a court of law then I'd agree—as the presumption of innocence is obvious fundamental to that—but I was talking about independent investigations to determine whether the conduct of police officers was appropriate. In those circumstances there should be three available outcomes—innocent, open, guilty—and there shouldn't be an assumption of guilt or innocence, as they should be established through evidence. Cases without a verdict should remain open; it's a system similar to that used by coroners. That way officers with unusually high "open" rates can be more carefully monitored.

#40 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,680 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 17:11

It may in a court of law but public opinion ain't a court of law. People are very hardened these days and they assume everyone is guilty of something.

I'm sure you are. :shifty: