Photo

Google nexus 4 or Samsung Gallaxy S3?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 deep1234

deep1234

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:13

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting either the Google nexus 4 or Samsung Gallaxy S3? But I am not sure on which one or wait sometime if there are new releases?

Please advise me.

Thanks,

#2 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:22

Nexus 4, unless you NEED a microsd slot. But stock Android and updates right when they get released is too good to pass up. Oh, and the price too ;)

#3 nekkidtruth

nekkidtruth

I'm sorry, do you still exist?

• Phone: Stock LG Nexus 5

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:38

I'm going to put my bitterness aside for the moment (As far as I'm concerned, LG dropped the ball with regards to availability) and try to answer objectively... :shifty:

There are really only 2 reasons to pass over the Nexus 4. If you need/want LTE or an SD slot. Sure the latest and greatest updates directly from Google is something everybody wants, however it's not always what it's cracked up to be. Case in point, the 4.2.2 update removes the ability to hack/enable LTE on the Nexus 4. I have no doubt someone will find a way to enable it again, but it was only half-assed anyway. I certainly understand not everyone is capable of getting LTE, but if you are...it's rather silly not to utilize it. I wouldn't purchase a phone not capable of utilizing everything I'm paying for through my carrier.

Putting all of the above on the back burner, with custom ROM's and the popularity of the Galaxy line, the fact that the Nexus' receive updates directly from Google is only a horribly minor benefit. Heck, I could download a custom ROM built from 4.2.2 for my S3 before it was even pushed to the Nexus devices! Most custom ROM's are also highly optimized for their specific devices.

The Nexus devices and the Galaxy series (with and without custom ROM's) are pretty much neck and neck when you ignore some of the above. I would recommend going for the one that you find most appealing with regards to look and functionality (ie. LTE capabilities, SD slot etc). At this point in time, nearly all high end devices have access to latest and greatest Google. Plus whatever other fantastic features custom ROM's bring to the table.

Edit: Oh and :p Wait for the S4 ;)

#4 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:59

I would say wait for the S4 or for any news of the rumored Motorola X phone.

#5 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:23

Nexus 4 without a doubt...

#6 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:40

I'd go with the Nexus, unless you really NEED the sd card (biggest one I've tried in mine is the 64GB micro works well, haven't tried 128GB yet, as realistically I don't need that much storage on my phone, I haven't even filled up the on board storage <16GB> yet...)
I love my S3, but had I waited, I could have chosen better.... (this is not to say the S3 is a bad device, just personally I think I might have gone for the Sony instead...)

#7 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:56

I was going to say the Galaxy S3, but just looked up the Nexus 4.
Nexus 4 is a nice phone and half the price of a Galaxy S3.
I think the Galaxy S3 rated as the best phone out, but for half the price, I'd go with the Nexus 4.
As far as Android goes anyways.

Was just reading more on that Nexus, now I want one, what an awesome phone.

#8 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 February 2013 - 13:03

Galaxy phones tend to receive very good support, I have a Galaxy S and it can still run Android 4.2 with no loss of features. If you can do without the SD card slot and LTE the Nexus 4 is much cheaper, otherwise the S3 is the phone to go for. Samsung don't lock their bootloaders so you can root it if you don't like touchwiz.

#9 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 17 February 2013 - 13:09

On Google Play site for that Nexus 4, it says it's unlocked.
So that would mean I can use my Telus Pay As You Go sim card right?

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 February 2013 - 13:17

Google ship all their devices unlocked so no worry about carrier lockin :)

#11 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:29

Unlocked and Android updates straight away, as well as a pure android experience without flashing roms

#12 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:40

I have a Nexus 4 and love it besides the "no LTE" and SD Card and removable battery. I have a SGS2 also and never needed LTE there and or to change the battery and it's almost 2yrs old now.

As for the 2 options, if the above doesn't matter to you i'd get the Nexus 4. If they do then obviously you only have 1 choice.

Then again with the Sony Xperia Z(L) coming out might as well get that instead as that's a waaay better phone than the SGS3 IMO. I was even thinking of upgrading to that but can't get into these 5" screen phones. I got big hands but my lower palms hurt after a while trying to thumb my way across the screen

#13 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:40

i would say go the s3, its a nice solid phone =]

#14 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 17 February 2013 - 14:51

i have a nexus 4 and i can say this is an awesome phone. this is the first phone that simply does not bother me at all. im extremely satisfied with it.

#15 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 17 February 2013 - 16:09

If you like to find a custom ROM and custom all the way you wanted for your phone, then Nexus 4 is the right choice.

If you don't like all that hassle and just want to use the phone as is OOTB, then S3, or whatever non-Nexus phone.