Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[C#/C++]

7 posts in this topic

Posted

You know even though I have been programming in C# for a bit I have never touched really on interop. I really would like to learn how to interface with C++. I know C++ basics and have programmed some windows with the C++/WINAPI even. I'm trying to start small with it and just return a string but the program crashes and doesn't let me see the error info. Here are my C++ files (dll win32 project file):

InteropTest.h

extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) char * HelloFromDll();

InteropTest.cpp

#include "stdafx.h"

#include "InteropTest.h"

extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) char * HelloFromDll()

{

char *result;

result = "Hello from my DLL";

return result;

}

And finally my C# code (.net 4.5 console program): Program.cs

class Program

{

[DllImport(@"InteropTest.dll")]

[return:MarshalAsAttribute(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)]

private static extern string HelloFromDll();

//[return:System.Runtime.InteropServices.MarshalAsAttribute(UnmanagedType.LPWStr)]

static void Main(string[] args)

{

try

{

string strRetVal = HelloFromDll();

Console.WriteLine("Returned string: {0}", strRetVal);

}

catch

{

}

Console.ReadLine();

}

}

The program fails on the dll call. It throws an accessviolationexception but hangs forever on that.

Posted

Try to call a method that takes void and returns void first. If that works, you're just not marshalling the string correctly.

For C#/C++ interop I much prefer using C++/CLI wrapper classes to P/Invoke; this removes the need for a lot of custom marshalling.

Posted

Thanks for the tip :) I saw the C++/CLI wrapper examples I just was going to build up to that. It's amazing how much fun it is to use C++ code in C#. Even for simple things like calling ExitWindowsEx :)

Posted

I guess it's also worth nothing that you're returning a pointer to a stack-allocated object, which is the very definition of evil. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Out of curiosity (since I am assuming developers are looking at this thread), how many people here pay for MS VS? Most of my work is done (these days) in Java, some PHP, some Ruby, a dash of Python... Maybe some scala in the future. But in my spare time I play around with all kinds of things... Awhile back I worked with MS products for something like 5 years in a row and I actually enjoyed it... but now ... I don't know. I am so used to open source or freeware that just thinking about ponying up the $$$ for VS disturbs me...

Posted

Every company I've worked for gladly pays for VS. I've never had to pay for my personal use as I've always got it through Dreamspark as a student. Now that I'm not a student anymore, we'll see. I don't code that much at home, perhaps I'll make do with Express, or I'll get a discount through my employer, I'm not sure yet. It's a hefty sum but if you plan on making a lot of money with it, it's worth it.

Posted

Where I work we have the partner program, but yea we have legitimate copies of VS 2003 -> 2012