Photo

Microsoft, PC Manufacturers conspiracy ?

dual booting windows 8 linux unified extensible firmware interface opinion

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 20:52

If it weren't for the fact that 90% of PC users are uneducated and unwilling to learn about what they bought/use (but also cannot live without it these days) we wouldn't need "Secure Boot".

I got fed up of helping people with viruses and trojans taking up hours of my time (mostly for free) that I just prefer they go to someone else or even pay for a professional to help them now.

#17 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,174 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 21:10

I got fed up of helping people with viruses and trojans taking up hours of my time (mostly for free) that I just prefer they go to someone else or even pay for a professional to help them now.

Only people I help for free now is family, and if I am doing work for a charity. I told my one sis if she ever installed Limewire again (she kept installing it after I kept telling her not to) that I will not longer help her and she will have to pay to get the system fixed next time.

companies can put all the protection they want on a system...if hte user is uneducated and do not know what they are doing, no amount of protection will help. I would figure with computers being so common and wide spread that more people would be smarter.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 20 February 2013 - 22:03

This **** is older then yo momma.

#19 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,165 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 22:14

Only people I help for free now is family, and if I am doing work for a charity. I told my one sis if she ever installed Limewire again (she kept installing it after I kept telling her not to) that I will not longer help her and she will have to pay to get the system fixed next time.

companies can put all the protection they want on a system...if hte user is uneducated and do not know what they are doing, no amount of protection will help. I would figure with computers being so common and wide spread that more people would be smarter.

Screw that...I stopped helping out my family because it was pointless. The only ones I still help are my parents...you cannot say no to Mom and Dad :)

#20 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 20 February 2013 - 22:17

Simple, create a limited profile, define in GPO what applications she can use after you downloaded and configured the software she needs. and there yah go. I do that for my family to keep the lappie nice and clean and keep me sane!

#21 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 1,962 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:00

There is no conspiracy, how hard is it to go to the bios to turn this off? Anyone who is going to be dual booting and such are already going to know about this or things like this to get around it. So why make a big deal over this?

#22 pookie62

pookie62

Neowinian

• 149 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:10

Can we just close this thread now then? Old news is old...

#23 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• 742 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:52

How did Microsoft not see this coming?

Posted Image

#24 bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

• 303 posts
  • Phone: Windows 8 Phone--Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:08

Thought Microsoft Security Essentials when released would cut down on Family infecting there PC's with junk, but I find that i'm still helping family remove Trojans and junk off there PC's pretty regularly, gotten to the point only help Mom these days, rest I recommend to local small PC shop, as too much time cleaning there PCs

Most of Family though removed MSE when they saw it failed certification tests...So I guess up to them now what they use.

#25 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:24

old and false article...
You fail me yet again, Hum! /Megatron voice

#26 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:39

Thought Microsoft Security Essentials when released would cut down on Family infecting there PC's with junk, but I find that i'm still helping family remove Trojans and junk off there PC's pretty regularly, gotten to the point only help Mom these days, rest I recommend to local small PC shop, as too much time cleaning there PCs

Most of Family though removed MSE when they saw it failed certification tests...So I guess up to them now what they use.

Maybe it's time that you educate your family instead of blaming MS for your woes....not that this has ANYTHING to do with the topic..of course.

#27 Mikee4fun

Mikee4fun

Neowinian

• 635 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 00:39

If you turn off secure boot in the EFI Bios then no you have zero issues dual booting into any other OS. Now, if the OEM locks down the EFI bios that is booty. I build my own rigs so I never have these issues. My latest rig the EFI Bios shipped with secure boot turned on and I scratched my head for a few minutes until I hunted down why I was getting a BCD loader non signed certificate error and then turned off secure boot.

I will have to probe some of my clients white boxes and see if they have the ability to turn off secure boot.

#28 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:57

I wonder how many manufactures allow you to turn off secure boot and how many don't? I have never seen a list of companies that say.

#29 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:02

UEFI secure boot is fine as long:
- Its allow Hardware Owner (not the hardware vendor) to change the UEFI keys
- hardware owner are allowed to disable the secure boot.

if the UEFI was set to disallow hardware owner to change the key, yes its became a locked system with planned obsolescene in mind.

its interesting that before announcing to build Surface RT themself,
Microsoft insist that users must be disallowed to disable secure boot, when secure boot is used in ARM system.
but user should be allowed to disable it on x86-64 system.

"On non-ARM systems, it is required to implement the ability to disable Secure Boot ..."
"On an ARM system, it is forbidden to enable Custom Mode. ... Disabling Secure MUST NOT be possible on ARM systems," Microsoft states.

why the differences?

#30 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,439 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:12

UEFI secure boot is fine as long:
- Its allow Hardware Owner (not the hardware vendor) to change the UEFI keys
- hardware owner are allowed to disable the secure boot.

if the UEFI was set to disallow hardware owner to change the key, yes its became a locked system with planned obsolescene in mind.

its interesting that before announcing to build Surface RT themself,
Microsoft insist that users must be disallowed to disable secure boot, when secure boot is used in ARM system.
but user should be allowed to disable it on x86-64 system.

why the differences?

Because on ARM, the OS is tailored to the hardware. It's pointless. Tablets are not tinker toys. Don't want Windows 8? Buy another tablet.