Photo

Microsoft, PC Manufacturers conspiracy ?

dual booting windows 8 linux unified extensible firmware interface opinion

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,810 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:46

Because on ARM, the OS is tailored to the hardware. It's pointless. Tablets are not tinker toys. Don't want Windows 8? Buy another tablet.

Sure they are. You just need to look at sites like XDA-Developers for proof of that.

#32 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

• 102 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:58

If it weren't for the fact that 90% of PC users are uneducated and unwilling to learn about what they bought/use (but also cannot live without it these days) we wouldn't need "Secure Boot".

I got fed up of helping people with viruses and trojans taking up hours of my time (mostly for free) that I just prefer they go to someone else or even pay for a professional to help them now.

There is also huge numbers of user who uses "FREE" version and refuse to download update.

#33 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

• 2,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:16

I wonder how many manufactures allow you to turn off secure boot and how many don't? I have never seen a list of companies that say.

I bought an ASUS laptop back in December (A45A-MX2-H). It had the ability to disable or turn off UEFI Secure Boot. It has seen three or so UEFI/BIOS updates and since then, the option has been hidden or removed.

#34 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,932 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39

Because on ARM, the OS is tailored to the hardware. It's pointless. Tablets are not tinker toys. Don't want Windows 8? Buy another tablet.

by your logic, Surface RT (Tegra3 - ARM based) was not a toy,
but
Surface Pro (x86-64 based) is a toy ?

surely that the opposite of what Microsoft have to say in their marketing campaign ...

#35 Chaz Scholton

Chaz Scholton

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:44

Okay, you won't be able to disable it on an ARM system. You can disable it on a x86-64 systems. UEFI secure boot can be viewed as both a good and bad thing. For the majority of people using WIN8 on tablets (end user customers) how many really want to use dual boot anyways?

Most of the people in my family and my friends, simply want to turn on their computers go online, play games or do things without the hassle of viruses and their PC's giving them a hard time. People just want easy to use, reliable computers to do what they want to do.

Most tablet PC owners, or those that own portable devices are not tinkering around with things to these levels. I'm pretty certain there will be open alternatives for those which do. If you don't want to deal with UEFI Win8 lockdowns on a ARM tablet. Don't buy one, Buy another tablet. The Market will be responding to this.

An alternative to dual booting, is running Linux in a Virtual system (VMware and etc), does UEFI prevent this from happening on an ARM system? It would seem that if Linux applications were so important to somebody they would explore alternatives besides dual boot.

Hackers/Virus programmers exploit how open a system really is. If lock downs like this mean, I get less phone calls for help from family and friends. GREAT! They ain't so tech savvy to begin with. They buy a new PC, love it for awhile, and then within a couple of months are calling it piece of junk that they'd love to throw out the damn window. If WIN8 ARM tablets prove to be more stable and reliable because of a lock down like this. This should be a great thing. Less headaches for Tablet makers, Microsoft and those of us with family and friends constantly bugging us to help fix their computer issues.

I don't have people bugging me to come over and fix their xBox, their Sony Play Stations, or their iPADs or iPhones (insert list of devices more stable compared to an X86/64 PC running Windows whatever).

#36 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,614 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:23

I wonder how many manufactures allow you to turn off secure boot and how many don't? I have never seen a list of companies that say.

It is required for Windows 8 certification. If the PC has a Windows 8 sticker, users should be able to disable it.

#37 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,720 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 23:12

So if you have an older motherboard, without this UEFI in the BIOS, can you not install Windows 8 ? Or what ?

#38 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:41

So if you have an older motherboard, without this UEFI in the BIOS, can you not install Windows 8 ? Or what ?

Of course you can.

#39 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,475 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:50

This thread.. Pants on head.

Somebody is a poet..