Server 2012: Necessary or Unnecessary for My Home?

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what I'm doing and quite possibly, shouldn't be doing it.

Hi everyone!

Ex. 1: If I'm on the west coast and need to update a file using a program that's only installed on my home computer on the east coast, I want to be able to remote to the computer so I can my work done.

Ex. 2: I have an external hard drive attached to the computer in my home office that I want to access from my smart tv so I can watch movies.

Ex. 3: I would like for all of my devices to be able to access the information on the others (2 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, & 1 smart tv).

I do NOT like virtual storage/cloud.

I do like security. I'm big on security.

I really do want to learn how to install, setup, configure, & use Server 2012 effectively, so if I can do all of the above with it, please let me know. If not, please advise what I'd be better off doing.

Yes, I DO already have Server 2012.

I know I'm asking a million questions, but here's one more: If I have no intentions of using virtual storage, is it safe to assume I won't need Hyper-V?

If you've already paid for server 2012 then you may as well use it. Otherwise I find using linux as a 'server' pretty effective. Also, if your Smart TV supports Plex or DLNA then I recommend installing the Plex server on the computer with the external storage (your movie drive) as this will transcode/stream to your Smart TV.

Thanks for all of your responses!!!

@Tony I will go ahead & use Server 2012, but I will research the other options you presented for extra knowledge.

@majortom1981 I am an "IT guy" & although my job JUST upgraded to an earlier server, I can use the experience.

@xendrome I will have to look into that again-- I have Windows 7 & unsuccessfully tried to remote in from my tablet. I'm able to when I'm home (same network), but not when I'm away from home.

Thanks for all of your responses!!!

@Tony I will go ahead & use Server 2012, but I will research the other options you presented for extra knowledge.

@majortom1981 I am an "IT guy" & although my job JUST upgraded to an earlier server, I can use the experience.

@xendrome I will have to look into that again-- I have Windows 7 & unsuccessfully tried to remote in from my tablet. I'm able to when I'm home (same network), but not when I'm away from home.

Best method of remote login would probably be something like Logmein or Teamviewer. If you want to remote in from your tablet teamviewer would be better though as it's free for non-commercial use.

What did you mention that you want to do that 2012 does?

Your in IT and you don't know how to create a share? So your TV can access your disk?

All that is required is remote access to your PC, could be any of the remote services logmein, teamviewer - or you could just open up remote desktop to your PC.

How do you think 2012 comes into play here? How does creating shares on your other pcs so your devices, so your tablets and laptop can access them have to do with 2012?

So what do you do in IT??

What did you mention that you want to do that 2012 does?

Your in IT and you don't know how to create a share? So your TV can access your disk?

All that is required is remote access to your PC, could be any of the remote services logmein, teamviewer - or you could just open up remote desktop to your PC.

How do you think 2012 comes into play here? How does creating shares on your other pcs so your devices, so your tablets and laptop can access them have to do with 2012?

So what do you do in IT??

Made me chuckle.

You need a few things in place to make your remote from the outside world work. As mentioned team viewer or logmein should be the easiest to setup.

Port forwarding would be the minimalist thing needed to have remote work but how do you get around the dynamic dhcp issue from your ISP. Install a software client on your always on pc that monitors changes and reports back to a service like dyndns or no-ip.

Another way that would get you around the issue of forwarding ports is to create a VPN for your network.

I have listed, in level of difficulty, what you would need to do to get your tablet to remote into your computer from anywhere on the web.

Server 2012 will not explicitly do any of the things you mentioned in the original post. Can you do them on server 2012? Sure, if you have the know-how. But you could just as easily do them on any other OS.

So, to answer the original question: Server 2012 is completely and totally unnecessary in your home network.

Having said that, I run a Server 2012 home network for fun / learning and i love it.

I think that your media sharing problem is a completely separate issue to your Server 2012 experimentation. Setup your sharing on the main Windows 7/8 computer you are using - no server required - and keep that stable.

Setup a separate VM/computer for Server 2012 and experiment, without regard to stability that your experiments may take you without bringing down your media sharing.