Sony's Yoshida: 'used games can play on a PS4'

seems like a slap on microsoft's face about recent rumors.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sonys-yushida-used-games-can-play-on-a-ps4/

In news that should keep parties going until the early morning at Gamestopseverywhere, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida tells Eurogamer that used games will still play on the PlayStation 4. Despite some issues with the translation, he stated clearly that "used games can play on a PS4." That appears to clearly put the issue to bed, despite rumors or patent misinterpretations passed around the internet recently. Now, we wait for our own chance to ask a few questions of Sony about its upcoming console like "what does it look like?", and the competition over at Microsoft goes on the hot seat with secondhand-loving gamers.

Why is that a slap. If the PS4 can play used games, and it hasn't been abandoned by all the big publishers because it can play used games. That pretty much confirms that the 360 can play used games as well.

Well, that's awesome! Great to know, and great to get this behind us. I feel it's rather obvious that Microsoft's next console will do the same too.

...Unless they've got some weird ass limitation or they're just plain retarded, as that'd be a major blow to them if they decided otherwise for whatever reason...

I for one am grateful, I've got some great titles that I've kept (psx and ps2)(and ps3 once the 4 is out) it would be nice to at least to some degree, play them all on one console :)

I for one am grateful, I've got some great titles that I've kept (psx and ps2)(and ps3 once the 4 is out) it would be nice to at least to some degree, play them all on one console :)

It's used PS4 games it will be able to play. The PS4 is not backwards compatible with older gen games though. It will stream those games instead (at a cost I wager), so if you plan on keeping your older games it would be wise to keep the hardware too.

He didn't say "for free" :ninja: They may require a pass or something...

seems like a slap on microsoft's face about recent rumors.

uh what? rumor was for both ps4 and nextbox, why this is a "slap on Microsoft's face"?

If you want to get technicaly though. Do note he said "it can play used games"

he did not say "Will not require an extra license fee to play used games" or "there are no Lockdowns to prevent playing used games if the developer wants to".

So in effect this exact statement means nothing.

But as I have said before, I highly doubt either next gen console will have any such locks.