22 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=5][b][font=georgia,serif]Google announces Chromebook Pixel: a premium Chrome OS laptop ships next week for $1,299[/font][/b][/size]

[font=georgia, serif]When Google unveiled the very first Chrome OS laptop, the vision was clear: Eric Schmidt told us that Chromebooks would be cheap, disposable products that you could easily replace at will. Today, however, the company's taking a different tack. This is the Chromebook Pixel, the first Chromebook designed by Google itself, and it's unmistakably a premium product. It also just so happens to aiming directly at Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina Display.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Like Apple's notebook, the highlight is the screen: with a 12.85-inch, 2560 x 1700 touchscreen panel, Google says it's the highest resolution display that's ever shipped on a laptop. "You'll never ever see another pixel in your life," says Chrome VP Sundar Pichai. And yet this particular screen has a 3:2 aspect ratio: In order to better fit web content, which often flows vertically down a page, the screen is nearly as tall as it is wide.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]While it's a hair thicker than the MacBook Air, it shares many of the design elements that Apple popularized there, too: invisible speakers that fire upwards, through the keyboard, vents hidden in the hinge, and a very thin yet responsive LED-backlit keyboard, custom-made for the machine.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]But Google's also clearly trying to improve upon Apple machines, touting rounded edges that don't dig into your wrists, and a etched glass touchpad far finer than the competition. "We experimented with different surface textures under a microscope till we came up with these peaks and valleys that feel really nice under your fingers," said a representative. Google made a big deal about the hinge, too: you can lift the lid without lifting the front of the laptop off the ground. "You get the feel of a luxury car door opening and closing," says Pichai.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]And then there's the touchscreen. Google repeatedly told us how smooth and fluid it is to swipe through webpages on the touchscreen on the Pixel, and how it would enable developers to target a broader ecosystem for their apps by allowing their tablet and smartphone creations to have the same experience on the web. If only it were true: the touchscreen response is far from fluid, if Google's on-stage demos and our own hands-on are any indication.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]Google will ship two versions of the Pixel, one with Wi-Fi only and one with Verizon LTE: the Wi-Fi model will ship next week for $1,299 and come with 32GB of storage, and the LTE will have 64GB of storage for $1,449.[/font]

[font=georgia,serif][i]Developing...[/i][/font]

[b]Source:[/b] [url="http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/4013480/google-chromebook-pixel"]The Verge[/url]

Posted

I understand cheap Chromebooks, and think there is a market for them, but this piece of nonsense? A useless touch scree, an unnecessarily high resolution display, and $1300 to run the internet? That's just crazy.
1 person likes this

Posted

[font=georgia,serif]"You get the feel of a luxury car door opening and closing," says Pichai.[/font] <--- Google can't stop copying Microsoft, can they? This is how MS described the hinge on Surface.

[font=georgia,serif]"You'll never ever see another pixel in your life," <--- is that why they call it Pixel because I will never see anyone using it? :laugh:[/font]

Posted

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1361474285' post='595535090']
I understand cheap Chromebooks, and think there is a market for them, but this piece of nonsense? A useless touch scree, an unnecessarily high resolution display, and $1300 to run the internet? That's just crazy.
[/quote]

Seems the pixel has more local storage than the current Chromebooks. So I am guessing the Pixel models are designed to do more. And with the new pixel/touch devices...Google has to make a lot of changes to the Chrome OS. So what Chrome looks like currently will probably be different once touch/pixel systems start rolling out.

[quote name='BajiRav' timestamp='1361474563' post='595535114']
[font=georgia,serif]"You get the feel of a luxury car door opening and closing," says Pichai.[/font] <--- Google can't stop copying Microsoft, can they? This is how MS described the hinge on Surface.
[/quote]

Really, who cares. Its a statement, that is all. Many companies make similar statements. This is silly to nit pick about.

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1361474682' post='595535120']
Seems the pixel has more local storage than the current Chromebooks. So I am guessing the Pixel models are designed to do more. And with the new pixel/touch devices...Google has to make a lot of changes to the Chrome OS. So what Chrome looks like currently will probably be different once touch/pixel systems start rolling out.
[/quote]

32GB? That's basically useless.

ChromeOS, today, can compete with Windows RT or iOS, it's a few years away from competing with OSX or Windows.

Posted

1200USD for that???? and people call the surface pro overpriced.....
1 person likes this

Posted

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]"32GB of storage, and is on sale today for $1,299."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH NO..[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Really Google, REALLY?[/size][/font][/color]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1361474682' post='595535120']
Really, who cares. Its a statement, that is all. Many companies make similar statements. This is silly to nit pick about.
[/quote]
It is usually a big thing when shoe is on the other foot, isn't it? ;)

[quote name='remixedcat' timestamp='1361475118' post='595535140']
[/quote]
[quote name='The Laughing Man' timestamp='1361475169' post='595535142']
[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]"32GB of storage, and is on sale today for $1,299."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH NO..[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Really Google, REALLY?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
Waits for Google to tout that this is "Made in USA" (with some parts made in China) and then either quickly drop price or scrap it like they did the Q.

Posted

[quote name='BajiRav' timestamp='1361475231' post='595535144']
It is usually a big thing when shoe is on the other foot, isn't it? ;)
[/quote]

No, its a big thing when hardware, software, or design patents are copied/stolen. Its is silly to nit pick over a statement.

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1361475066' post='595535138']
32GB? That's basically useless.

ChromeOS, today, can compete with Windows RT or iOS, it's a few years away from competing with OSX or Windows.
[/quote]

Well, MS has a 64gb model Surface that the OS takes up over 1/2 the space. I would call that useless. It all depends on how much space the Chrome OS takes up and the installed software really.

[quote name='remixedcat' timestamp='1361475118' post='595535140']
[/quote]

1200 is way to much but we do not know all the details on the Pixel. But if it does little more than what the current CBOOKS do, then yea...this will fail big time. But have to wait on more info from Google.

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1361475494' post='595535154']
Well, MS has a 64gb model Surface that the OS takes up over 1/2 the space. I would call that useless. It all depends on how much space the Chrome OS takes up and the installed software really.
[/quote]

You're right, if it's not capable of doing anything, 32gb is plenty. :laugh:

For $1200, I expect a computer that can do something and requires storage space to do it with.

Posted

And yet, if Apple came out and did this, you'd all be praising it.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote][size=5][b][font=georgia,serif]Google announces Chromebook Pixel: a premium Chrome OS laptop ships next week for $1,299[/font][/b][/size][/quote]

WHAT ???

Someone at google fell on his head imo.

Posted

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1361476164' post='595535166']
You're right, if it's not capable of doing anything, 32gb is plenty. :laugh:
[/quote]

Not what I said or meant. It is unclear on what all the Chrome Pixel can do. It is clear on what the 64gb Surface can do.

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1361476392' post='595535178']
Not what I said or meant. It is unclear on what all the Chrome Pixel can do. It is clear on what the 64gb Surface can do.
[/quote]

It can run ChromeOS, it's quite clear what that can do.

Mind you, I don't agree with the idea of having a 64 gb Surface, either.

Posted

Source link has been updated with more info....

[quote]
For the first time in a Chromebook, specs have been improved: with a Core i5 processor

Posted

**** i had to triple check my calendar just to be sure it's not april 1st ...

Posted

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1361476707' post='595535182']
It can run ChromeOS, it's quite clear what that can do.
[/quote]

So all it can do is run an OS, that is it? You cannot type on it, run applications, or browse the internet or do anything else...just run an OS.

Posted

What a joke.
I guess there's really not much else to say about this.

Posted

Or spend less than that on a top end laptop that comes with a proper OS and proper storage! It'll even have a DVD drive for when you want to install new software or watch a movie!

Posted

[quote name='techbeck' timestamp='1361477097' post='595535194']
So all it can do is run an OS, that is it? You cannot type on it, run applications, or browse the internet or do anything else...just run an OS.
[/quote]

I have a Chromebook, I'm well aware of what it can do. The idea of spending $1200 on one is [i]ludicrous[/i]. My point is ChromeOS doesn't do anything that (yet) that requires large amounts of storage, but if they ChromeOS taken seriously, local storage would be a good start.

Posted

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1361477525' post='595535210']
I have a Chromebook, I'm well aware of what it can do. The idea of spending $1200 on one is [i]ludicrous[/i]. My point is ChromeOS doesn't do anything that (yet) that requires large amounts of storage, but if they ChromeOS taken seriously, local storage would be a good start.
[/quote]

The OS will be different on the Pixel than the current Chromebooks. And what it can do will be different as well. While some features may be the same, it is not the same as your Chromebook. And storage can be used by user to store documents, files, that sort of thing. And those can add up quickly.

I do agree the price is way to much unless Google releases some more info. The source link has also been updated with more info as well. Still pricey tho.

Posted

Just gold plate it and add some diamonds, kick it at $10.000 value as a rich man's "choice" of a Google product.
A bit like this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ysc4fzV.jpg[/IMG]
1 person likes this