8 posts in this topic

Posted

The innovations coming out of this past month's Consumer Electronics Show, from new video-streaming services and ultrahigh-definition TVs to cable boxes with better search functions, might have you lusting after the latest gadgets and services.

But before you buy another product, consider this: Expenditures on home technology have to come from somewhere. All those bells and whistles

Posted

This is all so very true. Personally, I ditched cable and home phone.

I did the math and it was ridiculous how much money I was able to save. In fact, I didn't even need to entirely get rid of my home phone (replaced with a FREE VoIP home line).

I was paying close to $3400/year on these services. It was insane! No point in having cable when you have full Internet and access to other less expensive options such as Netflix, Hulu+ etc.

Posted

[quote]The average American household spent an estimated $2,160 in 2011 for telephone, cellphone, Internet and telephone services, the most recent data available, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. That is up 21% from 2006 and equal to 4.4% of the family budget.[/quote]
I wish we paid that much, ****ing comcast. We pay $178 a month for 15mbps internet, regular HD tv, and phone. Then $120 a month for AT&T 3gb data, unlimited text and 1500 mins.

That's $3,576 a year =( But we're stuck with Comcast since it's the only provider around here...

Posted

[quote name='-Razorfold' timestamp='1361493900' post='595535766']
I wish we paid that much, ****ing comcast. We pay $178 a month for 15mbps internet, regular HD tv, and phone. Then $120 a month for AT&T 3gb data, unlimited text and 1500 mins.

That's $3,576 a year =( But we're stuck with Comcast since it's the only provider around here...
[/quote]

It's totally insane. The same issues here in Canada. By cutting cable TV and home phone the savings were incredible. Even getting third party services like Netflix and Hulu+ or even paying for usenet doesn't bring it back up to where it was.

These companies are seriously bending us over. Because I like some premium features (on my cell phone particularly), I could probably lower my bills even further if I wanted to.

Posted

I use prepaid service for my droid and that saves me a ton... I rarely call people and I only spend 25bucks every 2 months to keep the voice minutes and I mostly have data and I can just buy data packs. I mostly use my phone on wifi though.

I use kroger wireless and I get free minutes for buying groceries.

I also don't have cable tv I just have netflix and I use youtube and crackle and sometimes hulu.

as far as music I found 2 sites I fill out surveys and they give you amazon gift cards and I get music that way mostly. I do good things for both... get free music and still support the artist and I help companies by participating in surveys that help them out.

Posted

For 2 cell phones, middle of the road satellite package and crappy ass 3G "mobile internet" on the computer my wife and I are out about $300/month on average (canadian dollars).

Hopefully in a few months we'll be moving closer to the city (aka 5 minute drive) and then magically I'll be able to halve our cell phone costs and also get proper DSL/Fibre optic broadband that is also cheaper (and better)

Posted

Yes, all that stuff is expensive (we pay $250 a month) but it sure is worth every penny to me. It's only money. If I don't spend it on this then something else will come around and get it.

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1361502642' post='595535970']
Yes, all that stuff is expensive (we pay $250 a month) but it sure is worth every penny to me. It's only money. If I don't spend it on this then something else will come around and get it.
[/quote]

This is also very true Lol. Wouldn't you much rather save money on some of those "services" that could go towards more of the "toys"?