• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:49

With the failure of windows 8 now official and your links being old news I think it's possible there might have been some changes in direction over in Redmond recently, one can only hope they finally got back on the right track but I'm not holding my breath, Ballmer is still there.

Your bias against the OS does not make it a failure, or an "official" failure. Whatever that means. Take a look at the job posting (that was posted less than a month ago, mind you):

We’re looking for an excellent, experienced SDET to join the Core Experience team in Windows Sustained Engineering (WinSE). The Core Experience features are the centerpiece of the new Windows UI, representing most of what customers touch and see in the OS, including: the start screen; application lifecycle; windowing; and personalization. Windows Blue promises to build and improve upon these aspects of the OS, enhancing ease of use and the overall user experience on devices and PCs worldwide.

#17 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:50

No, what's making it a failure is that it's not even outselling what Vista was doing within the same timeframe of it's launch.

#18 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:51

No, what's making it a failure is that it's not even outselling what Vista was doing within the same timeframe of it's launch.

^This.

#19 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:54

There's a lot wrong in comparing direct numbers. I assume you've done the math and accounted for sales of non traditional PCs, and also taken into account a changed market since 2006?

#20 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:57

There's a lot wrong in comparing direct numbers.

You mean like when you compare the "60 million sold" claim to actual retail sales?

#21 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:57

Even if you add the 3 million or so tablets (and that's assuming the figures don't already account for them), the sales figures are already poor.

Fact is, you can rationalise all you want, if Windows 8 were a good consumer OS it would have no trouble garnering sales.

#22 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 22:59

Even if you add the 3 million or so tablets (and that's assuming the figures don't already account for them), the sales figures are already poor.

Fact is, you can rationalise all you want, if Windows 8 were a good consumer OS it would have no trouble garnering sales.

You're forgetting the fact that there is 30% of Windows XP users who will be jumping ship next year. Most likely waiting for the first update to Windows 8.

#23 Windows Nashville

Windows Nashville

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:03

There's a lot wrong in comparing direct numbers. I assume you've done the math and accounted for sales of non traditional PCs, and also taken into account a changed market since 2006?

At this point I think we can all safely dismiss your posts on this topic. You absolutely love Windows 8, you're a complete apologist for it, you'll jump to its defense at every opportunity and argue with or insult anybody who doesn't like it. We get it, okay?

You have no inside information, and you don't know what MS plans to do anymore than the rest of us do. As much as you constantly post about how "the start menu is NEVER coming back", the fact is that Windows 8 is a commercial failure, and that failure WILL be addressed in some manner by Microsoft as they develop Windows 9.

#24 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:04

The fact that Microsoft are ending XP support doesn't mean that the users are going to automatically jump ship, nor does it guarantee that they'll migrate to 8 given that 7 will probably still be available through retail.

#25 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:10

Man... now I'm getting my hopes up, if they bring it back it would be like they finally listened... but this is just too good to be true....

#26 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2013 - 23:13

You have no inside information, and you don't know what MS plans to do anymore than the rest of us do. As much as you constantly post about how "the start menu is NEVER coming back", the fact is that Windows 8 is a commercial failure, and that failure WILL be addressed in some manner by Microsoft as they develop Windows 9.

Yes, further refinements to the Metro UX. Microsoft is working hard to unify their services, and provide a seamless UX. They're not just going to up and abandon everything like everyone here is saying. They're going to continue pushing their new direction. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

To abandon Windows 8 would mean to abandon their current plans with Windows RT, Windows Phone, and Xbox, and you know that will not happen. The slim differences between the Surface Pro, and Surface RT, is an excellent example of why Microsoft is not abandoning Metro.

#27 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:40

So you haven't actually used the OS but you believe FUD spread by "analysts". Ok man if it helps you sleep.

#28 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43

With the failure of windows 8 now official and your links being old news I think it's possible there might have been some changes in direction over in Redmond recently, one can only hope they finally got back on the right track but I'm not holding my breath, Ballmer is still there.

dream on, man

#29 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:36

With more options to customize the start screen itself plus other UI tweaks to better fit with desktop users there will bw no need to even think of a start menu anymore imo. I never used the start menu much with the updates to the taskbar in 7. It was clear that they we're working on ways to get off of that part of the UI even back then.