Did Your Concerns About Moving From Android Go Away?

So I've been using Android for the past few years. It's all right, nothing major to shout about. I am rooted but run the stock rom; only needed root for a couple of apps.

A friend of mine runs Windows 7.whatever on his HTC Mozart and hates it. He's found he can't get any of the apps he wants and when he can, they are a bit rubbish. However I am not put off as there are significant differences between WP7 and WP8.

Did you have any worries and were they blown away after using WP8?

I don't own an Android device but my sister does and I've used her phone long enough to make an informed decision. I made the jump to WP8 from a low-end BlackBerry device so the bulk of my smartphone experience has been limited. With that said, I honestly think WP8 is great for you if apps aren't a concern. I personally don't use a lot of apps so I'm happy with the OS. I haven't used a WP7 device and from what I've read, Microsoft has made a lot of improvements since the release of WP7 in 2010.

I have no major worries with WP8. At the moment, my only concern is the inability to install apps on a SD card. I just got my HTC 8S yesterday and it has 4 GB of internal storage. It's low, but it also has a microSD slot. If I could install apps on that, then I'll be very happy.

Your best bet is to go into a store and play around with a WP8 device. If you like it, then buy it. (Y)

• Like 1

The lack of apps on WP is still hard to swallow. Even with the apps that are available, many of them do not match up with the quality and features of their Android and iOS counterparts. I'm still waiting for a proper implementation of Facebook Messenger that matches what Android/iOS offers. Some vital regional apps are still missing. No Pocket, no Flipboard, no Chrome/Opera/Firefox, no Temple Run, no "proper" XDA app that allows posting, no codecs for unsupported audio/video formats. The list goes on. On the other hand, I can't find a credible alternative to HERE Drive for Android, and Mehdoh is the best Twitter client I've ever used but is WP-only. But as a whole, the app situation for WP is still pretty bad compared to the competition.

If you don't care about apps, however, the OS itself is excellent. It beats iOS for offering a customizable start screen, and it really trounces Android at performance and stability, especially on low-end hardware. The problem is that you have a fast and reliable OS, but one that is annoyingly gimped functionality-wise. WP has the potential to become great, but at this point in time I definitely regret switching over to it.

So I've been using Android for the past few years. It's all right, nothing major to shout about. I am rooted but run the stock rom; only needed root for a couple of apps.

A friend of mine runs Windows 7.whatever on his HTC Mozart and hates it. He's found he can't get any of the apps he wants and when he can, they are a bit rubbish. However I am not put off as there are significant differences between WP7 and WP8.

Did you have any worries and were they blown away after using WP8?

Unless your friend is looking for some funky apps, most common apps are available on WP7 (now at 7.8). I have been a WP7 user from the start (still on 7.8) and after the Mango update, I don't recall ever missing any critical app (I switched from iOS).

The lack of apps on WP is still hard to swallow. Even with the apps that are available, many of them do not match up with the quality and features of their Android and iOS counterparts. I'm still waiting for a proper implementation of Facebook Messenger that matches what Android/iOS offers. Some vital regional apps are still missing. No Pocket, no Flipboard, no Chrome/Opera/Firefox, no Temple Run, no "proper" XDA app that allows posting, no codecs for unsupported audio/video formats. The list goes on. On the other hand, I can't find a credible alternative to HERE Drive for Android, and Mehdoh is the best Twitter client I've ever used but is WP-only. But as a whole, the app situation for WP is still pretty bad compared to the competition.

If you don't care about apps, however, the OS itself is excellent. It beats iOS for offering a customizable start screen, and it really trounces Android at performance and stability, especially on low-end hardware. The problem is that you have a fast and reliable OS, but one that is annoyingly gimped functionality-wise. WP has the potential to become great, but at this point in time I definitely regret switching over to it.

Build in facebook messaging doesn't do it for you?

I guess it would be if you're an app junkie but even if you aren't, the Windows Phone store could use some more variety. The quality of the apps I've used so far have been great. I'll like an app even more if it's UI is as close as possible to the native UI of the OS. Some apps have come "close enough" but I still enjoy using them (e.g. Kik). As for Facebook Messenger, it's integrated with the built-in messaging app. And it's easy to switch between SMS and Facebook chat (see here). A separate app for Facebook chat isn't necessary.

I don't know about the apps you mentioned because I don't use them and I've never heard of them (except for the browsers). However, I do know that Nokia recently rebranded their exclusive WP8 apps and made them available to non-Nokia WP8 devices (see here).

Also, WhatsApp for WP8 received a major update as well as new features. I hope Kik gets a similar update too.

I'm not an 'Apps' person, I only got android for 2 reasons, 1 I didn't like the 800 and 900 Lumias (so I'll admit to being a nokia fanboy, whatever) and 2 Hell would freeze over before I would consider IOS as my smartphone choice, please note, this is personal preference, and not in any way a slamming statement about apple products.

I'll leave Android when Symbian makes a comeback.

As for Facebook Messenger, it's integrated with the built-in messaging app. And it's easy to switch between SMS and Facebook chat (see here). A separate app for Facebook chat isn't necessary.

I know about the feature. It doesn't support attachments, "viewed" timestamps, sending your location or viewing the other person's, or chatting with multiple contacts. The most annoying part is that it doesn't sync all your Facebook messages, making for very disjointed chatlogs. If all you do is chat with one contact at a time and nothing else, then yes, a separate app isn't necessary, anything more and WP falls short.

iOS: Best app store but OS hugely restricted. No torrenting.

Andriod: Somewhat poor app store with watered down apps quality wise. But can do anything under the sun in the OS even though its laggy. Project butter my a$$.

WP8: Worst app store of the three. OS experience is the smoothest but is still very annoying with huge learning curve.

I have found myself comfortable with Android even though I cringe everytime my Note2 stutters.

Concerns about WP8 are not going anywhere for atleast 2 years or till the platform matures.

I know about the feature. It doesn't support attachments, "viewed" timestamps, sending your location or viewing the other person's, or chatting with multiple contacts. The most annoying part is that it doesn't sync all your Facebook messages, making for very disjointed chatlogs. If all you do is chat with one contact at a time and nothing else, then yes, a separate app isn't necessary, anything more and WP falls short.

You're right. You also can't send pictures or record your voice. Now I see the use of a dedicated Facebook messaging app.

• 1 month later...

Having used every version of Windows Phone from 7.0 onwards I haven't had any concerns about switching from Android, in fact I've been excited to see the changes Microsoft have made to the platform since release.

Andriod: Somewhat poor app store with watered down apps quality wise. But can do anything under the sun in the OS even though its laggy. Project butter my a$$.

WP8: Worst app store of the three. OS experience is the smoothest but is still very annoying with huge learning curve.

I have found myself comfortable with Android even though I cringe everytime my Note2 stutters.

Concerns about WP8 are not going anywhere for atleast 2 years or till the platform matures.

Don't know where you're getting these statements from. iOS is easy as to pirate/torrent apps and maybe you should try a phone that's not bogged down with a 3rd party UI before saying project butter is bad.

I have seen just as many pirated iOS apps on torrents as I have seen Android. And there is a new Chinese site that allows pirated apps to be installed on iOS without jailbreaking.

I have seen just as many pirated iOS apps on torrents as I have seen Android. And there is a new Chinese site that allows pirated apps to be installed on iOS without jailbreaking.

I meant you can't use torrent app inside iOS to download anything directly to an iOS device.