MacBook Pro (Retina or not) or Windows 8?

I need to replace my MacBook Pro Late 2008 version. Got wet and I don't think it will work anymore. Hopefully, I can save my hard drive but anyway. I need to get a laptop for Monday for work. I'm a graphic designer/web designer and want to know if MacBook Pro Retina worth the money? I can't get the 18 months finerical plan they have but I can get the 6 month pay me back program they have. Which I can pay back in 6 months but with $3000 in taxes I need to pay I wish I can hold it off some. Anyway, I work and get pay every week. Money comes in between $450 to $700 a week. I do a lot of heavy graphics which is why I use a MacBook Pro. Is it worth the extra $400 for the Retina and SDD drive, higher GPU and ram?

Do you think I can just get a $1500 High End Windows 8 laptop? I do have a high end desktop with Windows 8 which does a great job but I need to take it to work everyday.

my laptop :-(

eeys7.jpg

I guess it depends on what you use it for. If you mostly use Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash, and Illustrator, then it doesn't matter much which laptop you buy (as long as it has reasonable processor, graphics and RAM).

If you're a graphic designer then no doubt you'll be using Adobe Creative Suite. You might as well get a second hand Windows 7 notebook since CS doesn't use the Windows 8 interface. Personally, I would get a rMBP (since CS has been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display).

If you're a graphic designer then no doubt you'll be using Adobe Creative Suite. You might as well get a second hand Windows 7 notebook since CS doesn't use the Windows 8 interface. Personally, I would get a rMBP (since CS has been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display).

Windows 8 license includes a free downgrade to Windows 7 (if you want).

MacBook retinas lag like android,because the UI uses the crappy intel hd4000 integrated graphics,which cant handle pushing those pixels all the time. it doesn't switch to the dedicated graphics for UI stuff,so your SOL.

and the adobe software runs better on windows than mac, and that's a fact.

and you can run virtually any software you like on windows.

and paying $3000 for that computer with those specs? All I can do is laugh.

I was talking about IRS I will be paying this year. April 15.

MacBook retinas lag like android,because the UI uses the crappy intel hd4000 integrated graphics,which cant handle pushing those pixels all the time. it doesn't switch to the dedicated graphics for UI stuff,so your SOL.

and the adobe software runs better on windows than mac, and that's a fact.

and you can run virtually any software you like on windows.

Please don't spread incorrect information. As an actual owner of a 15" rMBP, I can tell you that there is zero lag any where, no matter how many programs I have open. I can also tell you that the automatic GPU switching is very intelligent. However, if you do find yourself with a program that does (inadvertently) run on the iGPU, you can easily force-on the dGPU at any time. It is not problem at all. You are also free to install WIndows 7 (or 8, or any other flavor) on your rMBP through Apple's Boot Camp software, and it will actually be a better Windows PC than any other you can buy. Which brings me to my final point about paying $3000 for the rMBP: I challenge you to find, at ANY place in the world, for ANY price, a computer that is comparable to the standard $2800 15" rMBP. That means, at minimum, it must have 16GB of RAM, a 2.7GHz Core i7 quad-core processor, a SSD of similar class to the Samsung 830, a 1GB GDDR5 (not DDR3) GeForce GT 650M, and a display of 2880x1800. Go ahead, take your time ;)

Anyways, at the OP, yes I would recommend the rMBP. I am a database designer and all-around IT guy, and spend probably 8-10 hours a day staring at a computer screen. The rMBP really cuts down on eye-strain; it is a joy to look at, for any length of time. That was my single biggest reason for buying one actually. Like someone above mentioned, Adobe's programs have all been Retina-optimized, and so has Microsoft's Office 2011 suite. For the money, it will be hard for you to find a better laptop for graphic design.

Please don't spread incorrect information. As an actual owner of a 15" rMBP, I can tell you that there is zero lag any where, no matter how many programs I have open. I can also tell you that the automatic GPU switching is very intelligent. However, if you do find yourself with a program that does (inadvertently) run on the iGPU, you can easily force-on the dGPU at any time. It is not problem at all. You are also free to install WIndows 7 (or 8, or any other flavor) on your rMBP through Apple's Boot Camp software,

don't give me that BS. i used one myself and it lags. go look around the web,i just did and theres a ton of people saying it lags. theres videos on youtube showing it lags.

and it will actually be a better Windows PC than any other you can buy.

HAHAHAHAHA, you guys really do live in fantasy land. theres no way you can think that's accurate. is it better than a gaming beast with a GTX 690?

Which brings me to my final point about paying $3000 for the rMBP: I challenge you to find, at ANY place in the world, for ANY price, a computer that is comparable to the standard $2800 15" rMBP. That means, at minimum, it must have 16GB of RAM, a 2.7GHz Core i7 quad-core processor, a SSD of similar class to the Samsung 830, a 1GB GDDR5 (not DDR3) GeForce GT 650M, and a display of 2880x1800. Go ahead, take your time ;)

nobody uses 2880x1800 because its stupid. its useless. you cant game with those resolutions. **** is laggy everywhere. until graphics processors advance,then its a gimmick plain and simple. apple is clutching at straws with these gimmicks because nobody buys macs. in fact last quarter macs sales dropped %20.

and about those specs? please. i just bought a Lenovo notebook for $1300 that has a 2.4Ghz core i7, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB GDDR5 GeForce GT650M(double apple), 15.6" 1080P display,and a 1TB drive with 16GB ssd for caching. I can swap the HD with a 500GB SSD for $350,and add another 8GB RAM for $50 and I still would save $1100. The only thing im missing is the useless resolution and 0.3Ghz of speed. For $1100 no thank you, I can almost buy another one of this same machines.

Im sure they sell a better spec'd one to the apple one above for close to $2000 with those other components built in.

I was talking about the $2200 model for the Retina. It's not $3000!

I?d get a retina mbp over a regular mbp (otherwise I'd stick with the air). and between the two retina ones, the 15'' one might be a better choice because of the dedicated graphics. and since you're a designer you probably won't mind having a bigger screen, wont ya?

nobody uses 2880x1800 because its stupid. its useless. you cant game with those resolutions. **** is laggy everywhere. until graphics processors advance,then its a gimmick plain and simple.

Pretty sure that the OP didn't say anything about playing games, so discounting the screen because it's not useful for games seems a bit odd.

Pretty sure that the OP didn't say anything about playing games, so discounting the screen because it's not useful for games seems a bit odd.

im not saying just for gaming. the UI of the OS lags. switching between windows,scrolling, it lags.

im not saying just for gaming. the UI of the OS lags. switching between windows,scrolling, it lags.

When did you use one last? I remember lots of complaints about general UI performance when they first came out, but there have been a lot of OS updates since then.

I will mostly be doing coding html and adobe products aka Photoshop, InDesign, illustrator and Dreamweaver. With that said, it will be using it as a day to day thing and will not be getting a new one in 3 to 4 years so I need it to last and perform in that time. I would buy a Windows Laptop but can't really find anything that is made very well. It seem like they don't put much work in the design and feel of it like the MacBook Pro.

The only one I like is the Dell XPS 15 looks a lot like the MacBook.

It really doesn't matter what you get since CS is available for both. The best buy for the money is rMBP (I believe anyway). Not everyone can afford a MBP or see the need to spend that much. Personally, I'd rather have Windows 7.

When did you use one last? I remember lots of complaints about general UI performance when they first came out, but there have been a lot of OS updates since then.

the question is,when did you use one? im telling you its laggy. some of my colleagues have them. it has nothing to do with updates,they have the latest version. apple even released a safari update to make it "less laggy". but when you resize windows,even the cursor lags behind the window. use mission control.laggy as hell. this is a fact.

RIght now I have a Dell XPS 15 (L502x).

This is muy third Dell. The first was an 2006 Inspiron 6000 with an Intel Pentium M processor, and later the first gen, 2008 XPS 15 Model.

Problems like this are the reasons that I will never buy another Dell. Now is summer in Chile and this fan on-fan off problem is driving me crazy. And the other old models have the same issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19442104.aspx

There are so many issues and negative points, like:

- Lack of driver/BIOS updates (even with Windows 8)

- Bad quality plastics

Consider look for a HP.

Jolo.

the question is,when did you use one? im telling you its laggy. some of my colleagues have them. it has nothing to do with updates,they have the latest version. apple even released a safari update to make it "less laggy". but when you resize windows,even the cursor lags behind the window. use mission control.laggy as hell. this is a fact.

I haven't used one long term, just played with them in the stores. I wasn't saying that there isn't lag, I was just wondering because you said you had used one. A lot of your argument seemed to be based around gaming performance which isn't what the OP is looking for.

As far as suggestions for the OP, I'm not really sure. Don't go with a Mac 'just because' or with a Windows machine 'just because'. It sounds like you're already used to working with Windows so if you find a Windows machine that suits your needs and gets good reviews then go for it. Personally I haven't yet found a Windows notebook with a trackpad that's truly as usable as Apple's. The Thinkpad Trackpoint is probably my second favorite.

On the Windows side of things I would probably lean towards a Thinkpad. They have a lot of the same build quality and fit-and-finish as the Macbook line, the problem is that it's kind of hard to find them in stores to try out in person.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/t-series/t530/

I haven't used one long term, just played with them in the stores. I wasn't saying that there isn't lag, I was just wondering because you said you had used one. A lot of your argument seemed to be based around gaming performance which isn't what the OP is looking for.

As far as suggestions for the OP, I'm not really sure. Don't go with a Mac 'just because' or with a Windows machine 'just because'. It sounds like you're already used to working with Windows so if you find a Windows machine that suits your needs and gets good reviews then go for it. Personally I haven't yet found a Windows notebook with a trackpad that's truly as usable as Apple's. The Thinkpad Trackpoint is probably my second favorite.

On the Windows side of things I would probably lean towards a Thinkpad. They have a lot of the same build quality and fit-and-finish as the Macbook line, the problem is that it's kind of hard to find them in stores to try out in person.

http://www.lenovo.co.../t-series/t530/

I do find the MacBook Pro track pad to be the best but will not be using it because I can't really do much in the drawing and illustration part with one which is why I always bring a mouse with me.

Ok, first of all it's entirely your choice so don't let my opinion sway you too far! If you're going to be doing fairly heavy graphics work I would recommend a Windows 8 laptop with about 8GB RAM, at least a processor in Intel's i5 line (preferably ivy bridge however the processor won't even be working hard because of the nature of your work), a strong GPU (if you have to sacrifice other parts for a better GPU then do it!) and depending on your setup either have a 320/500GB SSD or a 1TB HDD and ~250GB SSD in the DVD bay (or wherever).

Having worked with the rMPB I can honestly say it is not good for graphics work. The GPU is already carving up trying to push out the high resolution and couple that with CS it becomes a lag and unresponsive mess (in OSX at least- Windows 8 on it performs really well but I wouldn't advise installing it in there until MS release the DPI scaling patch!)

Hope that helps! PM me if you want any more advice!

Seriously if you're going to struggle paying for it then don't buy it. They are a luxury item and have negligible (if even) utility over a ~$1200 Windows laptop. Is having a higher resolution screen and a bit thinner laptop REALLY worth $1000 extra? A laptop with 1920x1080 should suit you just fine for graphics work. I'm sure you can find a quad-core windows laptop with 16GB RAM and a SSD for $1200 if you shop around (and upgrade the RAM yourself, probably the SSD, too).

The only thing that seems to be comparable from Dell filtering the specs and only about $100 cheaper is about the same as the stock 13" rMBP:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-l321x-mlk/pd?oc=fncwp22s&model_id=xps-13-l321x-mlk

Less powerful processor but more space on the SSD, will sure to have bloat since it is from Dell, and lower resolution. How exactly are Macbook Pro's overpriced again? $100 difference is not THAT MUCH for everybody to be yelling at Apple for being overpriced. They do not have dozens of trials and bloat on their computers, and have different build quality vs Dell and others.

Got a retina MBP myself, and considering I've been using pretty much all different kinds of dedicated windows laptops, this one takes the cake. Used to be an avid Sony Vaio fan before, but got fed up with the sometimes iffy build quality.

I haven't noticed any real lag, that's mentioned by someone earlier. Actually, it's been flying through anything I've been throwing at it....