Photo

MacBook Pro (Retina or not) or Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:42

I need to replace my MacBook Pro Late 2008 version. Got wet and I don't think it will work anymore. Hopefully, I can save my hard drive but anyway. I need to get a laptop for Monday for work. I'm a graphic designer/web designer and want to know if MacBook Pro Retina worth the money? I can't get the 18 months finerical plan they have but I can get the 6 month pay me back program they have. Which I can pay back in 6 months but with $3000 in taxes I need to pay I wish I can hold it off some. Anyway, I work and get pay every week. Money comes in between $450 to $700 a week. I do a lot of heavy graphics which is why I use a MacBook Pro. Is it worth the extra $400 for the Retina and SDD drive, higher GPU and ram?

Do you think I can just get a $1500 High End Windows 8 laptop? I do have a high end desktop with Windows 8 which does a great job but I need to take it to work everyday.

my laptop :-(

Posted Image

#2 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 18:48

I guess it depends on what you use it for. If you mostly use Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Flash, and Illustrator, then it doesn't matter much which laptop you buy (as long as it has reasonable processor, graphics and RAM).

#3 kraized

kraized

Slam Dunk My Funk!

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:41

If you're a graphic designer then no doubt you'll be using Adobe Creative Suite. You might as well get a second hand Windows 7 notebook since CS doesn't use the Windows 8 interface. Personally, I would get a rMBP (since CS has been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display).

#4 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:59

If you're a graphic designer then no doubt you'll be using Adobe Creative Suite. You might as well get a second hand Windows 7 notebook since CS doesn't use the Windows 8 interface. Personally, I would get a rMBP (since CS has been updated to take advantage of the Retina Display).

Windows 8 license includes a free downgrade to Windows 7 (if you want).

#5 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:07

MacBook retinas lag like android,because the UI uses the crappy intel hd4000 integrated graphics,which cant handle pushing those pixels all the time. it doesn't switch to the dedicated graphics for UI stuff,so your SOL.

and the adobe software runs better on windows than mac, and that's a fact.

and you can run virtually any software you like on windows.

and paying $3000 for that computer with those specs? All I can do is laugh.

#6 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:17

You should check out Apple's refurbished section, you can save quite a bit off of the original prices:

http://store.apple.c.../macbook_pro/15

#7 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:43

I was talking about IRS I will be paying this year. April 15.

#8 NextGen_Gamer

NextGen_Gamer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:52

MacBook retinas lag like android,because the UI uses the crappy intel hd4000 integrated graphics,which cant handle pushing those pixels all the time. it doesn't switch to the dedicated graphics for UI stuff,so your SOL.

and the adobe software runs better on windows than mac, and that's a fact.

and you can run virtually any software you like on windows.

Please don't spread incorrect information. As an actual owner of a 15" rMBP, I can tell you that there is zero lag any where, no matter how many programs I have open. I can also tell you that the automatic GPU switching is very intelligent. However, if you do find yourself with a program that does (inadvertently) run on the iGPU, you can easily force-on the dGPU at any time. It is not problem at all. You are also free to install WIndows 7 (or 8, or any other flavor) on your rMBP through Apple's Boot Camp software, and it will actually be a better Windows PC than any other you can buy. Which brings me to my final point about paying $3000 for the rMBP: I challenge you to find, at ANY place in the world, for ANY price, a computer that is comparable to the standard $2800 15" rMBP. That means, at minimum, it must have 16GB of RAM, a 2.7GHz Core i7 quad-core processor, a SSD of similar class to the Samsung 830, a 1GB GDDR5 (not DDR3) GeForce GT 650M, and a display of 2880x1800. Go ahead, take your time ;)

Anyways, at the OP, yes I would recommend the rMBP. I am a database designer and all-around IT guy, and spend probably 8-10 hours a day staring at a computer screen. The rMBP really cuts down on eye-strain; it is a joy to look at, for any length of time. That was my single biggest reason for buying one actually. Like someone above mentioned, Adobe's programs have all been Retina-optimized, and so has Microsoft's Office 2011 suite. For the money, it will be hard for you to find a better laptop for graphic design.

#9 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

Posted 23 February 2013 - 23:27

Please don't spread incorrect information. As an actual owner of a 15" rMBP, I can tell you that there is zero lag any where, no matter how many programs I have open. I can also tell you that the automatic GPU switching is very intelligent. However, if you do find yourself with a program that does (inadvertently) run on the iGPU, you can easily force-on the dGPU at any time. It is not problem at all. You are also free to install WIndows 7 (or 8, or any other flavor) on your rMBP through Apple's Boot Camp software,

don't give me that BS. i used one myself and it lags. go look around the web,i just did and theres a ton of people saying it lags. theres videos on youtube showing it lags.

and it will actually be a better Windows PC than any other you can buy.

HAHAHAHAHA, you guys really do live in fantasy land. theres no way you can think that's accurate. is it better than a gaming beast with a GTX 690?

Which brings me to my final point about paying $3000 for the rMBP: I challenge you to find, at ANY place in the world, for ANY price, a computer that is comparable to the standard $2800 15" rMBP. That means, at minimum, it must have 16GB of RAM, a 2.7GHz Core i7 quad-core processor, a SSD of similar class to the Samsung 830, a 1GB GDDR5 (not DDR3) GeForce GT 650M, and a display of 2880x1800. Go ahead, take your time ;)

nobody uses 2880x1800 because its stupid. its useless. you cant game with those resolutions. **** is laggy everywhere. until graphics processors advance,then its a gimmick plain and simple. apple is clutching at straws with these gimmicks because nobody buys macs. in fact last quarter macs sales dropped %20.

and about those specs? please. i just bought a Lenovo notebook for $1300 that has a 2.4Ghz core i7, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB GDDR5 GeForce GT650M(double apple), 15.6" 1080P display,and a 1TB drive with 16GB ssd for caching. I can swap the HD with a 500GB SSD for $350,and add another 8GB RAM for $50 and I still would save $1100. The only thing im missing is the useless resolution and 0.3Ghz of speed. For $1100 no thank you, I can almost buy another one of this same machines.

Im sure they sell a better spec'd one to the apple one above for close to $2000 with those other components built in.

#10 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:12

I was talking about the $2200 model for the Retina. It's not $3000!

#11 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:23

I´d get a retina mbp over a regular mbp (otherwise I'd stick with the air). and between the two retina ones, the 15'' one might be a better choice because of the dedicated graphics. and since you're a designer you probably won't mind having a bigger screen, wont ya?

#12 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:25

nobody uses 2880x1800 because its stupid. its useless. you cant game with those resolutions. **** is laggy everywhere. until graphics processors advance,then its a gimmick plain and simple.

Pretty sure that the OP didn't say anything about playing games, so discounting the screen because it's not useful for games seems a bit odd.

#13 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:26

I'd get a decent windows 7 laptop. Cheaper than Mac better overall than 8 will do everything you could possibly need.

#14 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:28

Pretty sure that the OP didn't say anything about playing games, so discounting the screen because it's not useful for games seems a bit odd.

im not saying just for gaming. the UI of the OS lags. switching between windows,scrolling, it lags.

#15 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 00:38

im not saying just for gaming. the UI of the OS lags. switching between windows,scrolling, it lags.

When did you use one last? I remember lots of complaints about general UI performance when they first came out, but there have been a lot of OS updates since then.