Media and Gaming Build

Hey guys, anyone willing to help with a media heavy build? I've been debating getting back into PC gaming for some time but I don't know if I'm quite there yet. I've decided I'd rather build a media server with the possibility of upgrading the GPU, RAM, etc. if necessary, in a year or less should I fall back into PC games.

The wife would love for me to budget this at $500 or less, I'd like to spend $1k. Wife won lol. I know I could do $500 for a media server but I was hoping I could stretch that as much as possible with an i5 and the best GPU I can afford for now. I know I should probably be looking at AMD for this budget but I was still hoping to get some extra lifespan and upgradability with an i5.

Only things I really want are: i5 (if possible), reliable Blu-ray burner, room for several hard drives, as silent as I can afford (so probably no water cooling).

This build will be the media server for the house and be hooked up to the living room TV. So ripping and encoding Blu-rays/ playing 1080p files, some in home music recording, etc.

Anybody think they could come up with a great combo that will fit my budget? I know it's not a lot but I can't spend $1500 like I used to on new builds. Fatherhood has its ups and downs. lol

Honestly if you're looking for the best GPU $500 will barely cover it, if cover it all..

Blu-Ray burners run about $100

i5 will cost you alone like 180ish and higher

SSDs are nice, but expensive and not as much space..

Realistically your best bet for CPU is an AMD for th emoney you have

Edit: honestly I would suggest getting the FX-8150, then saving up for the GPU or vice versa.. get the GPU first then the CPU

While everyone is contemplating the Gaming / Mediacenter build for $500, can someone find me a brand new racing car for under $10k?

Honestly if you're looking for the best GPU $500 will barely cover it, if cover it all..

Blu-Ray burners run about $100

i5 will cost you alone like 180ish and higher

SSDs are nice, but expensive and not as much space..

Realistically your best bet for CPU is an AMD for th emoney you have

Edit: honestly I would suggest getting the FX-8150, then saving up for the GPU or vice versa.. get the GPU first then the CPU

I said best GPU I could afford, not best GPU out there. ;) I'm not one to buy parts individually. By the time I get the massive GPU I want the other components I've bought would likely have gone down in price. So I try to cherry pick all at once. I do however build barebones sometimes just to get a deal on CPU, mobo and GPU then reuse other parts I have or wait for sales on Blu-ray drives, etc.

While everyone is contemplating the Gaming / Mediacenter build for $500, can someone find me a brand new racing car for under $10k?

You know your post did nothing for this conversation so I'll just leave it at that.

Seeing as how lifehacker posted up a media center build for under $500 a few months ago I thought maybe someone would have a more up to date option.

Yes after I posted I realized you did NOT say the best GPU out there hehe. Did you look at the CPU/MOBO combos??

I typically do get things not as bundles unless there is an awesome deal.. I buy from different places, shop/compare and look over reviews..

I would also get into truly understanding what your buying (understanding jargon, what certain technologies offer, etc...), so you can know whats going on.

If you give me more of a basis on how much you plan on dedicating to the GPU, CPU and motherboard, then I can better advise you.

Edit: FYI the GPU is what you typically want to spend more on

Don't worry, I've been building PCs for years but my overclocking days are over and the only gaming I do anymore is on my 360. Marriage and fatherhood, oh how the times have changed for me. lol

Anyway, I'm looking at a media center build but I wanted to see if there was an upgrade path anyone would recommend so I don't lock myself into a media PC completely. Maybe if I get bit by the gaming bug again I will throw down money on a new GPU. I would increase the budget but I'm about to upgrade several other things such as router, NAS, hard drives, etc.

I will even go to onboard GPU if it will get me a media heavy build, 1080p playback, rip/ encode/ burn Blu-rays, etc. with the option to splurge on a GPU within a year or so from now. That's why I'd like to stretch this to an i5 if I can. That way the foundation is there for at least some gaming down the road.

GPU - 560 Ti is real good IMO especially for your budget, friend has it runs Skyrim on UltraHigh and Crysis on High or whatever is the highest.

After checking some options at newegg I think I might not even include a GPU for now. I'd rather allocate towards the CPU and mobo and have upgrade potential down the line.

Then get the CPU and the motherboard im getting :) or different motherboard.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz BX80637I53570K - $229.99

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H - $164.99 | ATX Form: 12.0" x 9.6"

Subtotal: $394.98

You can find those cheaper (I found the CPU cheaper by $60)

That motherboard has the ability to expand and upgrade and its latest chipset

I saw your thread. I'm not gonna be overclocking though so I could go another route and save plenty of money for the rest of the build. Though I did think maybe I should barebones it if I can find a sale and upgrade later. I may end up going AMD just for a media center and wait a bit for a gaming rig.

Yes you can save tons not getting an unlocked like I listed above; I totally forgot to point out the other one.

No worries, I already knew I wasn't getting a K. I was hoping someone would offer an option, or sale I haven't spotted, for an affordable and reliable CPU and mobo combo that would still be decent for gaming. I don't want to go completely bottom of the barrel and would like to stick with some major names for the mobo in particular. I know that most cheap builds will run the media side that I want but I'd like to give myself a little breathing room for the next year or so.

<snip>

Seeing as how lifehacker posted up a media center build for under $500 a few months ago I thought maybe someone would have a more up to date option.

You cna run a mediacenter on a raspberry pi, but something capable of all your requests/demands requires something more substantial.

I know I could opt for something cheaper. I already have a WDTV. But that means a dedicated device. I won't be able to do what else I'm asking about. I wouldn't be able to upgrade.

My requests are not that high I think. I said i5 only if possible. I just want Blu-ray ripping/ encoding/ burning. Maybe a home recording studio but I've got that covered.

Surely there is some middle ground to be found. If its not an i5 I would still consider. I just wanted to see just how much I can scrape by, if at all, and thought someone else would have made a similar build or could recommend an affordable rig.