mclaren p1

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

• 5,431 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:04

There are better looking cars for much much cheaper than this that you can actually drive daily on the roads which will come with the same package, hell do I need a ~700k car for that?

That depends whether the price of the car is directly proportional to the women you might attract whilst showboating in it. I'd be happy to conduct a study but unfortunately I don't have a free ~700k lying about! :p

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:20

Indeed, don't forget McLaren test on the Top Gear test track. A friend of mine actually spent a summer internship being driven around in this car while they were testing, handing the collection of the test data, and then got a full time job working on it when he finished uni. Lucky git!

I'll bet this car was tested on the Nürburgring, and they will make a big point of that :)

#18 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:27

You do know what drivers car means right ?

this car is uncomfortable as hell to drive on the track, on a road it'll break your back, provided you bring a lift truck to lift it over the speed bumps.

Fun to rent for a couple of hours at the track, but that's about it. as a supercar it doesn't have the comfort or looks to be a top contender, it just has the status of "most expensive super car so look at me I'm awesome".

as awesome as it is, it's not even close to the top of my list if I get filthy ridiculously rich.

Exaggerate much? Even the F1 has been spotted driving on normal roads numerous times.
What makes you think they are uncomfortable? They have cushioned seats, suspensions, airbags, and are street legal.
Whether it's driven on the track or a 300 mile trip, it will function just fine and so will your back.

#19 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:29

mmm....want

#20 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:35

You do know what drivers car means right ?

I'm not entirely sure that you do however.
The BMW M5 is a drivers car, yet it has a lot of features and has a comfy ride.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:40

Exaggerate much? Even the F1 has been spotted driving on normal roads numerous times.
What makes you think they are uncomfortable? They have cushioned seats, suspensions, airbags, and are street legal.
Whether it's driven on the track or a 300 mile trip, it will function just fine and so will your back.

being street legal and having suspension doesn't mean it's a comfy ride.

#22 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:41

The F1 doesn't have airbags or power steering and its a centered driver seating makes it very impractical and not very comfortable. It doesn't even have cup holders. However, I think this P1 is mounds better in terms of comfort and practicality following the mp4-12c. I don't think there are many modern, supercars being made these days that are as barebones as the F1.

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:57

being street legal and having suspension doesn't mean it's a comfy ride.

I see nothing to indicate that it would be uncomfortable. All you've done is make a bad comparison to the F1 which made no sense since the F1 is bare-bones and the P1 is far from it. And saying it will break your back and not survive a civilian road is nothing but a sad exaggeration. Compared to most supercars, the P1 is very well equipt. Ever sit in an open-wheel racecar before? That's a pretty close definition of discomfort, but it's still not hard to drive one for hours on end.

The F1 doesn't have airbags or power steering and its a centered driver seating makes it very impractical and not very comfortable. It doesn't even have cup holders. However, I think this P1 is mounds better in terms of comfort and practicality following the mp4-12c. I don't think there are many modern, supercars being made these days that are as barebones as the F1.

Much agreed.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,403 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 18:58

Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.

#25 Exynos

Exynos

Android, Samsung & Windows expert

• 539 posts
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-bit) on my Samsung 9-series (NP900X4C-A01SE) laptop.
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505).

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:09

Most super cars are not comfortable ride,s no matter how many luxuries they have, NO supercar that's built as a trackday car is a comfy ride, they're built to be stiff and rigid.

Hello, my name is Nissan GT-R R35 Switzer 'Ultimate Street Edition' and i'm here to destroy the McLaren P1 and at the same time being a comfy ride :D

Not only does this Nissan GT-R R35 kills the McLaren P1, but it laughs pretty good at the price of the McLaren P1 to.

#26 Gabe3

Gabe3

If you lack enemies, you are not doing something worthwhile

• 1,436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:10

I don't like how all the high end sports cars are going with screens for the speedo and tach.

#27 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:35

I don't like how all the high end sports cars are going with screens for the speedo and tach.

Might be due to the fact that the RPM sweep can't keep up and report on actual, near instantaneous numbers compared to a digital display. Thats what the LFA team cited for the reason on their car.

#28 Gabe3

Gabe3

If you lack enemies, you are not doing something worthwhile

• 1,436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:39

Might be due to the fact that the RPM sweep can't keep up and report on actual, near instantaneous numbers compared to a digital display. Thats what the LFA team cited for the reason on their car.

oh, i see. cant a analog gauge get a little motor or something so it could keep up?

#29 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

• 3,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 19:42

oh, i see. cant a analog gauge get a little motor or something so it could keep up?

No idea, but I don't think so.

#30 OrangesOfCourse

OrangesOfCourse

Neowinian Senior

• 4,576 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:20

The MP4-12C has an excellent ride according to multiple reviews. I'm assuming that the P1 has active suspension featuring dampers all tied together through a hydraulic system just like the 12C. No saying that the P1 might be the same but McLaren have proven that you don't need to have a rubbish/firm ride to have a well handling car.

MP4-12C Suspension: http://www.edmunds.c...walkaround.html

Chris Harris on MP4-12C: