41 posts in this topic

Posted

PHILADELPHIA

Posted

All that beer is nasty anyway. Maybe they should start drinking good beer instead.

7 people like this

Posted

I don't know about everywhere, but I know a guy whose wife used to work for a brewery in Australia and can confirm that's exactly how they make light beer--brew the regular beer, then add water when bottling. Difference is, light beer is cheaper there because you only pay for the amount of actual beer you're getting. Should at least be the same all 'round, and all the ABV% should be accurate on the label.

Posted

"Anheuser-Busch InBev called the claims "groundless" and said its beers fully comply with labeling laws."

Way to not answer the question.

1 person likes this

Posted

All that beer is nasty anyway. Maybe they should start drinking good beer instead.

This.

Posted

Of course it's watered down. It's all us poor Americans can handle. :p

Posted

Those damned Belgians :p

Posted

I expect countersuits and appeals out of this, I work for Sierra Nevada Brewery, and we had to sign a non-disclosure aggreement, that carries on even if the job ends, I am pretty sure the Enheiser-Busch works the same way, remember that episode of king of the hill when peggy got a job at alamo beer?

Posted

"and we had to sign a non-disclosure aggreement"

If the company can prove who leaked it yes, if not, then no.

Posted

Why is this a surprise? I've tried American beer. It's ALL watered down!

Posted

That is not American Beer it is American Water

American Brews are great good Craft Beers

2 people like this

Posted

This.

This ^2

Gimme a good micro-brew any day.

Posted

It's a club...

Posted

This lawsuit doesn't stand a chance because beer consists mostly of water anyway (up to 96%).

Posted

American Brews are great good Craft Beers

That's not beer either. :p

Posted

This lawsuit doesn't stand a chance because beer consists mostly of water anyway (up to 96%).

Not 96% afaik.

The '4%' on the label refers to the amount of ethanol there is in it, if it was pure 4% ethanol and 96% water you'd have a very weak vodka, beer on the other hand has barley and other things in it which give it the distinctive taste, it is certainly not (well shouldn't be and stuff in the UK isn't) 96% water.

Posted

Not 96% afaik.

The '4%' on the label refers to the amount of ethanol there is in it, if it was pure 4% ethanol and 96% water you'd have a very weak vodka, beer on the other hand has barley and other things in it which give it the distinctive taste, it is certainly not (well shouldn't be and stuff in the UK isn't) 96% water.

Vodka is a distilled beverage and you are right in saying that it is a mix of ethanol with water. However, beer is different; it is a fermented drink; it is brewed; it's not distilled, speaking about the real stuff.

It takes a lot more than 4% of barley of the total (final) mass to produce beer. Because it is a fermented drink, the yield is not just a sum of the ingredients.

Posted

They said the same about milk years ago when farmers would add water to get a higher yield. Now there are analysis methods to check the water content, and if it's too high the batch gets rejected and you can be fined.

I don't know if the same system can be used for alcohol since it has a much lower freezing point but it can be analysed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey -- we use only the finest toilet water. :p

Posted

What I would like to know is, if this class action suit wins, what happens? This probably covers around 80% of adult americans. No way everybody is going to get compensated.

Sounds more like a pay day for lawyers.

Posted

^ Every Anheuser-Busch customer gets a free 6-pack. :D

Posted

I drank beer in Munich Germany and to me that is the best beer. Unfortunately I live in the U.S.

Posted

I drank beer in Munich Germany and to me that is the best beer. Unfortunately I live in the U.S.

I have found that local breweries make the best stuff. There's one around here called Straight to Ale, and they have some fantastic beers. It can be tricky finding them, but if you ask around, good beer is being made in the States--it's just generally not found in the supermarkets.

Posted

German beer is great. We have some nice beers here in Holland as well

2 people like this

Posted

Hey -- we use only the finest toilet water. :p

As I once read on a toilet wall in a pub.

Don't take the P*** out of our beer, 'cause we don't.

I stopped drinking Bud years ago after I found Guinness. When I'm in the US I've been known to sink a few Sam Adams.