51 posts in this topic

Posted

EA will be building microtransactions into all of its upcoming games

Microtransactions have become an increasingly important part of the gaming landscape, and it looks like EA is embracing the concept with open arms. EuroGamer reports that Blake Jorgensen, the company's CFO and executive vice-president, discussed the tiny transactions at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, & Telecom Conference yesterday

Posted

Gee what a surprise, why ship a complete game when you can split it up into little payments.

I can't wait for the next videogame crash, getting tired of being bent over a barrel with these massive corporations.

13 people like this

Posted

Paying for cheat codes... -___-

Posted

Is this news, or was this news three years ago? I can't tell.

1 person likes this

Posted

Valve has managed to implement this in an awesome way in TF2, can't help but think EA will mess up somehow.

Posted

Valve has managed to implement this in an awesome way in TF2, can't help but think EA will mess up somehow.

EA has implemented "Pay to win" in pretty much all of their games. They'll do it like they always do.

1 person likes this

Posted

To be honest, we all expected this. Unfortunately EA do it in a way that almost requires you to pay up, and that's sad.

Valve on the other hand do it in a manner that's "You can get it now for

Posted

EA has implemented "Pay to win" in pretty much all of their games. They'll do it like they always do.

I like that in TF2 every weapon has a upside and a downside, it gives no player with a lot of happy a definite advantage. But we can look fabulas with our hats :)

Posted

We are constantly being ripped off by thses money hungry corporations! Bye once, pay forever!!

Posted

And the funny thing is nearly everyone in this thread will still throw their money in after complaining.

3 people like this

Posted

Gee what a surprise, why ship a complete game when you can split it up into little payments.

I can't wait for the next videogame crash, getting tired of being bent over a barrel with these massive corporations.

I don't entirely see what you mean - microtransactions just mean you pay for items that would normally take you a lot longer to get.

The best example that I can think of on the spot would be in an RPG, where you could either grind for ages to acquire enough money to buy a Level 30 shield, or alternatively you can just pay

Posted

Aslong as they start this after simcity ill be okay

Posted

Are you kidding me? Sim City is their golden child of microtransactions. Oh look, a new building type, only $1! Godzilla attacks for $1.99? OK!

1 person likes this

Posted

Are you kidding me? Sim City is their golden child of microtransactions. Oh look, a new building type, only $1! Godzilla attacks for $1.99? OK!

I hope not

Posted

Pay to win is disgusting. If BF4 has micro-transactions I'm done with EA.

Posted

I'm downloading through torrent all EA's game from now on. Screw you !

6 people like this

Posted

The F2P and micro-transaction models have been successfully used in other games. So it's no surprise that a major publisher (who is supposedly hurting in the revenue department) is going to try to implement the same thing. Though the whole "across the board" nature of their statement scares me.

Not all games would benefit from such models, and as we've seen, poorly implemented F2P/micro-transaction models can quickly become a pay-to-win scenario; which is never a good thing. Single-player games in particular don't really gel with either of these models. Though, I'm fine with paying for NEW content after the initial release. (that does not include on-disc DLC that you have to pay for. That should be illegal in my opinion)

As others have said, it COULD be reasonable if EA follows suit with Valve or Riot (League of Legends). But this being EA, I'm more inclined to believe they're going to mess it up or gouge an already sore customer base. Either way, this trend is not encouraging.

Posted

Remember the good old days when you bought a game and installed just the game without bloatware like steam origon or uplay and weren't bombarded with online achievement messages, When a game didn't access the internet unless you wanted to play it online.

Games are getting worse and worse with this **** and as usual the pirates get a better experience than paid users without this crap.

1 person likes this

Posted

In such an awesome way that, when implemented, most of the people I played TF2 with moved on to games where the focus was on the game rather than gimpy fashion parades and buying useless clutter. Quite a shame as I was involved with creating and running a gaming site at that time which, at one point, had several dedicated server boxes just for running TF2 servers. Quickly disintegrated when the focus shifted away from game development to "hat design and sale".

This is the choice for game makers - do you want to attract gamers or 12 yr olds with their parents credit cards?

Posted

In such an awesome way that, when implemented, most of the people I played TF2 with moved on to games where the focus was on the game rather than gimpy fashion parades and buying useless clutter. Quite a shame as I was involved with creating and running a gaming site at that time which, at one point, had several dedicated server boxes just for running TF2 servers. Quickly disintegrated when the focus shifted away from game development to "hat design and sale".

This is the choice for game makers - do you want to attract gamers or 12 yr olds with their parents credit cards?

Well thats your experience, before I only knew three people that occasionally played TF2. Now I know about 10 who play it regularly. Also the still make new game modes so development is continuing :p

Posted

The F2P and micro-transaction models have been successfully used in other games.

Yeah f2p + online + microtransaction works well.

But i dunno about Pay 60$ and then pay again for the complete offline product.

Posted

Sorry to inform you, if you purchase the new SimCity, you're supporting exactly that and they'll steam right ahead with all future games, thanks in part to your contribution.

Posted

even gaming is being ruined by american greed

2 people like this

Posted

I don't entirely see what you mean - microtransactions just mean you pay for items that would normally take you a lot longer to get.

The best example that I can think of on the spot would be in an RPG, where you could either grind for ages to acquire enough money to buy a Level 30 shield, or alternatively you can just pay

Posted

Oh you've died... wanna respawn? 4 hour wait time or pay $1.99

3 people like this