50 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,670 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31

EA will be building microtransactions into all of its upcoming games

Microtransactions have become an increasingly important part of the gaming landscape, and it looks like EA is embracing the concept with open arms. EuroGamer reports that Blake Jorgensen, the company's CFO and executive vice-president, discussed the tiny transactions at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, & Telecom Conference yesterday — saying EA would be adopting them in all of its upcoming titles. "The next and much bigger piece is microtransactions within games," he said when asked about the company's digital revenues. "We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level, to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business."

He went on to explain that EA has built a new back-end system to process the transactions, a departure from its previous efforts. While plans for specific games weren't detailed, the emphasis on microtransactions — as well as EA's new unified login system — make it clear that EA sees its digital initiatives as important not only to consumers, but to the company's bottom line as well.

Source: The Verge

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:37

Gee what a surprise, why ship a complete game when you can split it up into little payments.

I can't wait for the next videogame crash, getting tired of being bent over a barrel with these massive corporations.

#3 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,590 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02

Paying for cheat codes... -___-

#4 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,370 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:03

Is this news, or was this news three years ago? I can't tell.

#5 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:08

Valve has managed to implement this in an awesome way in TF2, can't help but think EA will mess up somehow.

#6 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,011 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:17

Valve has managed to implement this in an awesome way in TF2, can't help but think EA will mess up somehow.

EA has implemented "Pay to win" in pretty much all of their games. They'll do it like they always do.

#7 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,734 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:25

To be honest, we all expected this. Unfortunately EA do it in a way that almost requires you to pay up, and that's sad.

Valve on the other hand do it in a manner that's "You can get it now for £X, or you can wait and use the item drop system to eventually craft it yourself for nothing." It's a system that works very well.

#8 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,316 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:32

EA has implemented "Pay to win" in pretty much all of their games. They'll do it like they always do.

I like that in TF2 every weapon has a upside and a downside, it gives no player with a lot of happy a definite advantage. But we can look fabulas with our hats :)

#9 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 737 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:47

We are constantly being ripped off by thses money hungry corporations! Bye once, pay forever!!

#10 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,500 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:22

And the funny thing is nearly everyone in this thread will still throw their money in after complaining.

#11 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,097 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:24

Gee what a surprise, why ship a complete game when you can split it up into little payments.

I can't wait for the next videogame crash, getting tired of being bent over a barrel with these massive corporations.

I don't entirely see what you mean - microtransactions just mean you pay for items that would normally take you a lot longer to get.

The best example that I can think of on the spot would be in an RPG, where you could either grind for ages to acquire enough money to buy a Level 30 shield, or alternatively you can just pay £1.99 and get it straight away and make the game a bit easier for you.

At the end of the day people are complaining but there are a myriad of examples of microtransactions being done right and EA have even implemented microtransactions in a reasonable fashion in Dead Space 3. If microtransactions help keep the price of their games down then that's fine by me.

#12 togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

• 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:25

Aslong as they start this after simcity ill be okay

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:33

Aslong as they start this after simcity ill be okay

Are you kidding me? Sim City is their golden child of microtransactions. Oh look, a new building type, only $1! Godzilla attacks for $1.99? OK!

#14 togermano

togermano

hot top for the bottoms

• 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:34

Are you kidding me? Sim City is their golden child of microtransactions. Oh look, a new building type, only $1! Godzilla attacks for $1.99? OK!

I hope not

#15 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 14:50

Pay to win is disgusting. If BF4 has micro-transactions I'm done with EA.