• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:18

A new "future vision" video from Microsoft continues to showcase a desktop GUI-less future, and a world where touch, motion, and mobility reign supreme.

I don't see this happening in the "next 5-10 years", but I do agree this is where we're headed. Windows 8 and Surface are just the start down this path. Many here say the desktop GUI isn't going away, but if I was a betting man, I'd say Microsoft has no interest in developing it much farther beyond the next few years.

I'd love to have a computer system like this in my house someday.

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,037 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 14:54

It's a cool concept, but for me I don't really see any use for it. I will still require a keyboard and mouse to do what I do (programming), until I can write software with my brain and not physically touching anything something like this would be useless.

Thing is with the way computers are evolving, Windows isn't the ONLY Visable OS. Now, I don't think Linux in a desktop sense will be as mainsteam as windows, but it does have a place and I think that as MS goes away from the desktop and more mobile/pickup and go linux will find it's market with desktop users more so than it currently does.

So in the end if MS does continue how they are going, that's fine with me I just wont be using any MS Windows products.

#3 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:23

looks cool but the COST lol

#4 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:25

It's a cool concept, but for me I don't really see any use for it. I will still require a keyboard and mouse to do what I do (programming), until I can write software with my brain and not physically touching anything something like this would be useless.

I am sure they will include the virtual keyboard that way you can type the messages, code your scripts, etc.

And they might or might not add the voice commands in the devices which you can do something with your voice commands.

If they do not have virtual keyboard, then you can download it from the store like you did on your phone if you hate the default keyboard.

I would love to have that device that looks like "drafting table" that was shown in the video before you hit play...

#5 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:28

I see a desktop computer in my future for quite a few more years yet. :laugh:

#6 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,057 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:32

Thing is with the way computers are evolving, Windows isn't the ONLY Visable OS. Now, I don't think Linux in a desktop sense will be as mainsteam as windows, but it does have a place and I think that as MS goes away from the desktop and more mobile/pickup and go linux will find it's market with desktop users more so than it currently does.

So in the end if MS does continue how they are going, that's fine with me I just wont be using any MS Windows products.

Great points. I use software that does what I need it to do, regardless of who makes it. The software adapts to me. I won't adapt to the software.

#7 firey

firey

• 8,037 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:38

I am sure they will include the virtual keyboard that way you can type the messages, code your scripts, etc.

And they might or might not add the voice commands in the devices which you can do something with your voice commands.

If they do not have virtual keyboard, then you can download it from the store like you did on your phone if you hate the default keyboard.

I would love to have that device that looks like "drafting table" that was shown in the video before you hit play...

Virtual Keyboard or not, there is a big difference between tapping on something flat and solid, than physically pressing buttons. while I am okay typing on my phones touch screen, I much prefer typing with a real keyboard.

And programming with voice commands:

-> "Cow tuh Left Pointing Arrow Left Pointing Arrow Double Quote H E L L O SPACE W O R L D Double Quote Semi Colon"
<- cuh out left pointing arrow left pointing arrow "hello world";
-> "Delete that"
<- "Unrecognized command"

I guess outside of a fun for kids environment or where you have to look at charts/presentations I don't see a use for something this large of a scale.

#8 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:44

Virtual Keyboard or not, there is a big difference between tapping on something flat and solid, than physically pressing buttons. while I am okay typing on my phones touch screen, I much prefer typing with a real keyboard.

-> "Cow tuh Left Pointing Arrow Left Pointing Arrow Double Quote H E L L O SPACE W O R L D Double Quote Semi Colon"
-> "Delete that"

I guess outside of a fun for kids environment or where you have to look at charts/presentations I don't see a use for something this large of a scale.

Why would a decent speech recognition software ever work like that? Youre being too narrow minded. Imagine just being able to say: echo hello world and it will write the correct syntax (with spaces - no one ever says space lol).
Editing may be a bit tricky but you could make brief changes with a touch screen keyboard.

http://thenextweb.co...e-translations/

^Just check out this video for how the power of speech recog could be used. For programming you could set speech snippets for common commands so you could write lines and lines of code with a single word.

#9 firey

firey

• 8,037 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:47

Why would a decent speech recognition software ever work like that? Youre being too narrow minded. Imagine just being able to say: echo hello world and it will write the correct syntax (with spaces - no one ever says space lol).
Editing may be a bit tricky but you could make brief changes with a touch screen keyboard.

Fair enough, but I can see larger programs with debugging and adding comments and special things being a pain. To each their own, I would never use a system like shown above, but that's just me.

#10 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:55

Silly video, just a setup of highly convenient circumstances to show off some convoluted desktopless idea.

#11 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:57

-> "Delete that"

Nothing is wrong with voice commands.. all you do is save your scripts and then use voice commands and it will place the snippet onto the new document. Simple. If it shows any errors, you simply use onscreen keyboard to fix it.

Plus if you are okay with your phone keyboard, then you should be fine with onscreen keyboard on other devices no matter big or small... If you want physical keyboard, then you should have gotten a phone with physical keyboard.

By the way, modern computers and other devices are included with bluetooth... so you can use any bluetooth device such as keyboard, headset, etc.

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,082 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:01

Imagine just being able to say: echo hello world and it will write the correct syntax

Here's the result of this command at work.

Me - echo "hello world"
Result on screen - echo "hello world Hey john lol did you see that youtube video of the girl dancing lol"
Me - Damn erase the last command
Computer - Damn command unknown please specify
Me - Stupid computer **&#&**(&#*(#
Computer - Stupid command unknown please specify

#13 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,632 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:03

Nothing is wrong with voice commands.. all you do is save your scripts and then use voice commands and it will place the snippet onto the new document. Simple. If it shows any errors, you simply use onscreen keyboard to fix it.

How do you create the script in the first place?

#14 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,289 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:17

How do you create the script in the first place?

I said:

all you do is save your scripts and then use voice commands

which means you create scripts with physical or onscreen keyboard and save them..then next time you use voice command. Tell it to place a snippet of yours onto the document.

Get it?

And of course, there will be a cloud service that time which you can share your snippets with all of your devices. Such as Skydrive...

#15 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,175 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 16:17

My issue here, one of the key factors with design is to solve real world problems
With these concepts, it sometimes seems like Microsoft is inventing a world where we need these devices. Sure all of this can look more helpful, like a digital picture space in the home, but what it really comes down to is: is it all really a necessity?