84 replies to this topic

#31 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 13:55

Here's a detailed video walkthrough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os2axzJHbzA

8 people bought it without realising they were going to be charged $1k for a $1k app.... wow, and it's not even really an app

OK and who's fault is that?

Apples

#32 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:13

OK and who's fault is that? The kid's or the irresponsible parents?

I say the parents.

So you sit there and play all games that your kid may want to play to check for overpriced in game purchases? apple could do a lot more to protect against this, the session used to download from app store should not be linked with in store purchases (assuming that's how this issue came about i've yet to try)

#33 F_C

F_C

Neowinian

• 140 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:32

I'm surprised at how many here didn't realise that iOS games have a £69.99 option. Every game I know of which has this free model on the iOS has this.
On the Android version of those games it's usually £69.99 before VAT as well (for those in countries with VAT).

You all obviously need to play your The Simpsons tapped out/Hay Day/Jurassic Park/Albion/whatever games more ;)

#34 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 14:56

Well when I was younger my mother used to tell me that stupid people deserve to get ripped off. This exactly the case, the parents are stupid for not actually looking what their 5 year old is doing, they deserved to get ripped off, at least explain that buying things online is not an option until a parent is next to a kid. When I was 6 I bought an monoringtone that cost 2 bucks and was already explained to that I should not do these kind of things without asking and this kid racked up a 2k bill and now everyones blaming the dev and apple..hypocrites.

#35 Nayos

Nayos

Kor

• 623 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:08

Well when I was younger my mother used to tell me that stupid people deserve to get ripped off. This exactly the case, the parents are stupid for not actually looking what their 5 year old is doing, they deserved to get ripped off, at least explain that buying things online is not an option until a parent is next to a kid. When I was 6 I bought an monoringtone that cost 2 bucks and was already explained to that I should not do these kind of things without asking and this kid racked up a 2k bill and now everyones blaming the dev and apple..hypocrites.

$2 or $2000. Yeah, it's exactly the same as your story.

#36 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,716 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:10

No, but that's irrelevant, isn't it? We can talk about horrible business models, pricing, and so forth until we're blue in the face, but so long as you give a kid access to something that can pull money out of your account, whether it's 5 minutes or 5 days, you're still an irresponsible person. Considering the purchases that can be made in some games, it's definitely worth noting at least.

Fair enough but shouldn't iOS ask you for your password everytime you make an in-app purchase? In this case the father entered his password once and then got charged 20 separate times automatically.

Normally shouldn't it be that you enter your password and the game charges you (in this case $105) and then if you need to make another purchase it should ask you again for the password. I highly doubt there's a save password option (I don't use iOS). I wish the article would have posted the game name so you could see the comments / try it.

#37 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:13

Fair enough but shouldn't iOS ask you for your password everytime you make an in-app purchase? In this case the father entered his password once and then got charged 20 separate times automatically.

Normally shouldn't it be that you enter your password and the game charges you (in this case $105) and then if you need to make another purchase it should ask you again for the password. I highly doubt there's a save password option (I don't use iOS). That's what I'm trying to get at, this game ran up several charges in a short space of time without asking for the password again.

no, and that's part of the problem. iOS is set up so once you enter your password for a purchase there's a short amount of time (like 10-15 minutes) where charges can be made without the password

though it shouldn't this includes in-app purchases

#38 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:32

8 people bought it without realising they were going to be charged $1k for a $1k app.... wow, and it's not even really an app

Apples

No. The parents should know better than to give their child an iPad with their credit card number stored in it. They should have chosen the option not to store the credit card so the kid would have to ask them for it before making the purchase, so it is his parents fault and their responsibility to make sure their child doesn't do anything stupid.

#39 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:37

No. The parents should know better than to give their child an iPad with their credit card number stored in it. They should have chosen the option not to store the credit card so the kid would have to ask them for it before making the purchase, so it is his parents fault and their responsibility to make sure their child doesn't do anything stupid.

lol, ok, I`ll go as far as to say it is ALSO the parents fault, but if Apple stopped daylight robbery from hitting their app store, then parents could happily let their kids play a game on a tablet without worrying about being bankrupt in 10 minutes

Apple does not sh*t gold, no matter how blinded you are by their shiny iDevices

#40 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,614 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:41

lol, ok, I`ll go as far as to say it is ALSO the parents fault, but if Apple stopped daylight robbery from hitting their app store, then parents could happily let their kids play a game on a tablet without worrying about being bankrupt in 10 minutes

that and they really need to fix the policy on where it asks for password more

only having to enter password once for a short amount of time for the app store is fine but I believe that you should have to enter your password every time you make an in-app purchase

#41 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:45

that and they really need to fix the policy on where it asks for password more

only having to enter password once for a short amount of time for the app store is fine but I believe that you should have to enter your password every time you make an in-app purchase

Yea definitely, I know Android has a pin for purchase but I've never paid for any in-game content so not sure if it asks every time or not

#42 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,547 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:57

In my opinion, this one is more disgraceful...

Posted Image

Sheesh -- the developer could have at least gave out bad stock advice.

#43 carmatic

carmatic

oh cool i can change my member title

• 6,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:59

apps with in-apps purchases should not be under the 'free' category

#44 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:01

I heard Apple refunded the money, a pretty rare move of kindness from them.

Nothing to do with kindness. I have had over a dozen refunds. Do you people really think a company like Apple would be in business if it didn't have great customer service and policies? Come back to reality.

#45 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 02 March 2013 - 16:08

Daylight robbery? Wow. Now immoral = illegal? How about no. Apple shouldn't even have refunded the money, maybe those brainless parents think a bit more next time before handing a credit card info stored device to a kid who hasn't been thought how to behave in these situations. Also the game is 9+ whats the excuse now? "Oh everyone does it" right?