Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey all. Looking for some advice as my insurers, Admiral, dont seem to be too helpful or clear in a recent accident.

I have a Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 hatch on a fully comp insurance.

On Monday morning I had a non fault accident where another party pulled out of a side road into the drivers front side of my car.

Damage to wheel arch, and drivers door. The car is still driveable.

Myself and the other party have exchanged details and its clearly her fault, especially as she told me "I'm sorry I thought I could make it infront of you".

I called the insurance upon getting to work to be informed that they will write my car off due to age. I argued that it is still repairable and age is a bit of a stupid factor, 11 years old, car was valued upon beginning of my insurance at

Posted

AFAIK, standard procedure with fully comp is for your insurer to pay all costs, then claim them back from the 3rd party's insurer. However, if that's the only damage, you shouldn't need to get your insurer involved at all. I doubt there's more than a couple hundred quid damage from the photo so I wouldn't even bother to claim, especially given your really high excess.

As you're not at fault, they should not be able to increase your premium. Someone hit YOU, not the other way around.

Do not let them take the car if possible. Also, they cannot declare it written off to the DVLA without the V5, unless they've applied for a replacement which I'm fairly sure isn't legal. I presume you haven't sent that off to anyone? Check with the DVLA exactly what's been reported to them about your car as it sounds like they're trying a fast one on you.

As for offers, they can deduct your excess, but not any remaining balance from the policy. They MUST offer you market price for the car, and it must be a price obtainable in your local area. Look around on auto-trader, print off some cars of the same spec/year for your area. These are sufficient evidence.

I've just been through this process as of a month ago. The accident was technically my fault as I rear-ended another (though the brainless bint just slammed her brakes on for no reason). My Vectra had its nose stuffed in and More Then wrote it off, but it was dealt with quickly and efficiently by them; can't fault their service at all. The steps it went through were.

Accident reported
Car collected next day, courtesy car left at the same time.
Car evaluated and written off next day, too expensive to repair.
More Than's assessor phoned me the same day and we discussed price. He agreed with the price I gave him (the higher valuation for the area), and they paid up the full amount minus my

Posted

From my past experience I can say the following.

As its not your fault your excess should be claimed back from the third party (although this takes time), so don't worry about that.

If I was you I'd wait to see what they offer for your car, say for example

Posted

i had a similar situation a few years back

someone went into the back of me and my insurance sent round a mobile mechanic to appraise the damage and bill to fix
I then got a phone call saying it wasn't viable to fix the car as the fix (

Posted

[quote name='mulligan2k' timestamp='1363478058' post='595581694']
i had a similar situation a few years back

someone went into the back of me and my insurance sent round a mobile mechanic to appraise the damage and bill to fix
I then got a phone call saying it wasn't viable to fix the car as the fix (

Posted

OP
I'm sorry to read about what happened, and unfortunately, I don't actually have anything worth adding that would help you directly.
Only wanted to add, They'll also screw you from behind DRY if, like me, you've just lost your job and tell them.
Tripled my premium and effectively priced me off the road.. Then told me it's because I'm more likely to use my car now... (in my case if anything, I'm less likely to use it as 1. it's a V6, and 2. I no longer have anywhere to go in it.)

Posted

I had a very similar incident with Bell (part of the Admiral Group) about 3 years ago - They wrote off the car and I bought it back for only

Posted

Thanks for all the responses.

So heres an update. After a few days of arguing and telling them I wasn't going to have my car scrapped I eventually managed to get them to actually look at the car, albeit via email. They decided it was a CAT C write off and we managed to negotiate from

Posted

Yup, sounds like they just wanted to hurdle you and hope you'd simply give up. Glad you fought back. I also would like to wish you luck and hope you can get back that agreed sum of money too. Tis about time they stopped bleeding honest motorists dry.

Posted

If there going to be like that then remember to mention about your whiplash ;)

Where abouts did this happen as I live in Fareham, so I can avoid them

Posted

I was going to claim whiplash but seeing as I was going at about 10mph it seems pretty stupid. Wish I did file for it now though!

And I was actually in Bournemouth when it happened (at Uni there) but the other two accidents were in Segensworth both times hah.

Posted

Oh Segensworth is horrible, worst bit is the roundabout. I'm in the right hand lane as if im going to fareham (from park gate) and people come into the right hand lane then slip into the left hand lane quickly to go to whiteley because they can't be bothered to wait in the left hand lane!

That's an accident waiting to happen, every bleeding morning I see it and always use my horn grrr.

Posted

Yeah i've had a few mates who have been hit. I had mine at the Shell garage round about. Coming from the Whitely cut through, towards the Holiday Inn in traffic. I decided to go into the new 2nd lane to go right round the round about and head down to Titchfield, and someone waved a lady out of the Holiday Inn Car Park...she took that as it was fine to go completly, pulled right out straight into the face of my car. Then she decided to just sit there and didn't know what to do and everyone else just drove off, even the guy who waved her out.

Least the standard of driving is still better there than in Bournemouth. They're ridiculously bad and wreckless here!

Posted

Why oh why did you let it get to this point? It's YOUR car. Having an insurance policy doesn't make it the property of the insurance company. They have no right to write-off your car unless it is structurally unsafe to be driven. I was involved in an accident and the first thing my insurer wanted was the V5 - I told them where to stick it as it is MY car. I ensured the car was recovered to my private property and explained to them that either they pay up on my policy as the policy terms state, or if they attempt to recover the vehicle from my property I will treat it as theft as I am the legal owner and trespass onto my land. The insurance company paid out 24 hours later the full value of the vehicle less the excess. Contrary to what they said you do NOT need to get it MOT'd - you only need to get it VIC tested at a DVLA testing station. Costs
1 person likes this

Posted

Will Albany Insurance be claiming you excess back from the third party as well?

Posted

Albany will be claiming my excess back and weirdly sent me a letter today to attach any invoices for any other financial losses to claim back (MOT damage & VIC test).

I was pretty sure I didn't have to MOT it to get it back on the road but their policy is that they refuse to insure the car if its been declared a total loss by them, and on the basis they said to me that they would reclaim any MOT costs for me (as it expires in June normally so shouldn't have to do it) I bought the car back and put it through an MOT. In terms of them writing it off, they said that they would declare it as a total loss and that it would have to be declared SORN. Next thing I know im in a conference call with the DVLA and my insurance and theyve told me that its now SORN and the insurance ends at midnight. So I had to drive it home from Bournemouth to get it back to my parents thus missing a day of uni and work.