reddit user tipping pizza

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#106 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 15:54

mmm....so your saying a pizza delivery person should be paid $47 per hour. That's roughly $95,000 per year.
Might have to start delivering pizza part time :rofl:

wtf? This is what you said and now I'm going to turn it into something different&backwards /boom /thud /wtf

does anyone understand that his only income is tips. A job salary based on tips.

Your paying for the gas, car maintenance and income. Some places pay for some of that, others don't. varies

Sometimes pizza boys don't always break even. /care? /no?

Most pizza drivers don't have newer vehicles that need less maintenance. /look around

A waitress/waiter is not the same situation, but can be similar. /they have it better

#107 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,931 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 16:08

wtf? This is what you said and now I'm going to turn it into something different&backwards /boom /thud /wtf

does anyone understand that his only income is tips. A job salary based on tips.

Your paying for the gas, car maintenance and income. Some places pay for some of that, others don't. varies

Most pizza drivers don't have newer vehicles that need less maintenance. /look around

A waitress/waiter is not the same situation, but can be similar. /they have it better

Not turning anything backwards. You said everyone here was wrong except for you. You quoted the fact that he should have got a minimum $44 for delivering the pizzas (probably about an hours worth of work). Add that to the $3 hourly wage and that's $47 per hour which is roughly $95,000 per year.
If everybody is wrong and you are right and thats the wage you are expecting then I might have to start delivering Pizza part time.

#108 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,847 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 13 March 2013 - 19:23

And that's exactly why I find delivery fees to be pathetic.

That money just goes into Dominos/Pizza Hut/Papa John's pocket. Instead it should be going towards gas, insurance, maintenance etc.

#109 tytytucke

tytytucke

Neowinian

• 711 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:09

Not turning anything backwards. You said everyone here was wrong except for you. You quoted the fact that he should have got a minimum $44 for delivering the pizzas (probably about an hours worth of work). Add that to the $3 hourly wage and that's $47 per hour which is roughly $95,000 per year.
If everybody is wrong and you are right and thats the wage you are expecting then I might have to start delivering Pizza part time.

He likely makes like $3 an hour and most of his money is earned on tips, plus he has to pay for gas in his own car. So the tip should have been much higher then that, even 3% on that bill would have been $44.

Go see how long it takes you to load up and unload 85 pizzas...

"So the tip should have been much higher then that, even 3% on that bill would have been $44."
He should of got a tip of at least $44 on THAT delivery, not every single delivery. The difference being 2 pizzas and 85 pizzas on a single order.
"(probably about an hours worth of work)" Ok, I would guess longer than an hour. But if we use 1 hour we will go for 1 mile and 85 pizzas. I imagine that took 2-5 trips, about 20-35 pizzas pre trip (max). These numbers are estimates or guesses, without the details of the situation we can only guess. I would bet this cost the pizza man money to make that delivery. He could of delivered maybe 3 other pizzas in an hours time and made some money.

#110 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,461 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:35

Serious question, if the delivery person isn't being compensated except by the generosity of the patrons then how does this person show up for work? Or better put, why did this person take the job in the first place?

I wish these false statements about the compensation of delivery people would stop.

#111 Zlain

Zlain

Neowinian

• 875 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:39

It is his job to deliver pizzas. So it doesn't matter if he delivers 1 pizza or 5 million. He shouldn't get tips as a standard. Its up to the customer to decide. That is it.

#112 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,353 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:45

wow. then you should get off your lazy *** and go pick up the food yourself.

Sure, if everyone did that then the guy wouldn't even HAVE a job, is that what you want? do you want this guy to have no job? that's a much better position than not tipping someone for doing their job. /s

#113 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,397 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:59

Sure, if everyone did that then the guy wouldn't even HAVE a job, is that what you want? do you want this guy to have no job? that's a much better position than not tipping someone for doing their job. /s

Good to know you have such a great understanding of context. If everyone WHO DOESNT TIP does it then there wont be a problem. Do you know why? Most people DO tip.

#114 Guest_seanseany_*

Guest_seanseany_*

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:08

He likely makes like $3 an hour and most of his money is earned on tips, plus he has to pay for gas in his own car. So the tip should have been much higher then that, even 3% on that bill would have been $44.

Go see how long it takes you to load up and unload 85 pizzas...

Get a decent job then , It's NOT my fault he/she has a crappy job.

#115 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,579 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:14

This is news?

#116 karl_87

karl_87

Neowinian

• 232 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 14:23

In the UK - we don't tip. Infact, I buy most my pizzas online, and wouldn't even have any cash on me to tip even if I wanted to. Strange how different countries vary a lot on this subject. Should Doctor's get a good tip for helping you? How about bus driver's?

In all seriousness though, Can an american explain it fully to me how it works?

#117 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,397 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:07

In the UK - we don't tip. Infact, I buy most my pizzas online, and wouldn't even have any cash on me to tip even if I wanted to. Strange how different countries vary a lot on this subject. Should Doctor's get a good tip for helping you? How about bus driver's?

In all seriousness though, Can an american explain it fully to me how it works?

If you read all 8 pages you still wouldnt. Basically some deliver/service type jobs pay the workers a minimal $ per hour.. usually $2 or $3, which is normally ok because they will make up the difference in tips (unless you get the cheap ******* which there are plenty just here in this thread). The employer is required to pay any difference in the hourly rate if the tips do not equal minimum wage for that state. So as to your comments above.. this does not apply to all job types (Doctors, Bus Drivers, etc). Common jobs that tips are expected are (but not limited to): food delivery (pizza, chinese), barber, waitress/waiter, etc. I tip my mailman/garbage man at holidays as well. Goes a long way when I need to throw out something that normally would require me to bring to the local recycling station.

#118 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,320 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:41

If you read all 8 pages you still wouldnt. Basically some deliver/service type jobs pay the workers a minimal $ per hour.. usually $2 or $3, which is normally ok because they will make up the difference in tips (unless you get the cheap ******* which there are plenty just here in this thread). The employer is required to pay any difference in the hourly rate if the tips do not equal minimum wage for that state. So as to your comments above.. this does not apply to all job types (Doctors, Bus Drivers, etc). Common jobs that tips are expected are (but not limited to): food delivery (pizza, chinese), barber, waitress/waiter, etc. I tip my mailman/garbage man at holidays as well. Goes a long way when I need to throw out something that normally would require me to bring to the local recycling station.

It's not cheap to not tip someone who is doing their job.

I'm a legal secretary, should I ask for tips from the solicitors every time I finish an audio tape? Should they ask for tips from the court every time they finish dealing with a case?

Tips are entirely optional and it doesn't make you cheap not to pay a tip.

If the wage is really low and they rely on tips, then they need to try and find another job because that's not very secure, is it.. the company should pay the wage, not rely on customers to do it. You have a very strange point of view IMO.

#119 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,811 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 March 2013 - 17:53

It's not cheap to not tip someone who is doing their job.

I'm a legal secretary, should I ask for tips from the solicitors every time I finish an audio tape? Should they ask for tips from the court every time they finish dealing with a case?

And you're probably paid a living wage. Somebody waiting tables or delivering pizzas isn't.