Starbucks balks at NYC sugary drink ban

^ I know that I could never drink enuff soda to gain weight. :laugh:

These 'researchers' and sugar haters are not looking at what people eat, along with the soda.

Cheeseburgers, potato chips, hot dogs, pizza, high fat foods.

Then they blame it all on the 'evil' sugar.

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity. In fact there have been numerous reports and documentaries that explain how the US media vilified fat while adding sugar?particularly HFCS?into products. Companies were advertising products as "fat free" to make them sound healthy, when the sugar content made them incredibly calorific. Don't just take my word for the impact of sugar, though - here's a report from Harvard.

A two litre bottle of coke contains over 850 calories, which is one-third of the recommended daily calorie intake for a man. That is a huge amount of calories, yet a lot of people drink more than that each day without realising the impact it is having. A single McDonald's muffin is more than 25% of a woman's daily calorie intake and one of their large meals can be close to the full amount. As for Starbucks, the number of calories in some of their drinks is ridiculous. Some of their drinks contain over 600 calories, which is more than what previous generations ate for an entire meal.

The NYC sugary drinks ban may not be the right solution to the problem but something needs to be done. Businesses cannot be allowed to continue marketing products they know to be unhealthy for the majority of the population without consequence.

• Like 2

I used to have 2 sugars in tea, and have coffee with condensed milk but migrated long ago to good quality (not the watered down stuff!) skimmed milk with zero sugars. Tried sugared tea (by accident) the other day and was horrible. For anyone who wants to move down, just do it slowly to one sugar and buy good quality skimmed milk (not the cheapest).

I used to have sugar and full fat milk in my tea when I was young but now all I use is 1% fat milk and I often have tea without any milk. If I try tea with sugar now it tastes wrong. As for skimmed milk, I've tried it before but I really don't like it.

Wrong. Excess glucose (sugar) is transformed by the liver into fat. In medicine, this process is part of the lipogenesis.

Odd -- I never gain weight from simple sugar.

Try my previous challenge.

i drink alot of soda. I drink diet soda becasue if I switch to regular soda I gain 5lbs a week. Tried it 3X and same result each time.

And did you write down what else you ate along with the soda ?

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity.

This is just a load of non-sense they want you to believe.

What they call 'sugary' snacks are mostly loaded up with FAT.

Sugar is not some dangerous poison. ;)

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity. In fact there have been numerous reports and documentaries that explain how the US media vilified fat while adding sugar?particularly HFCS?into products. Companies were advertising products as "fat free" to make them sound healthy, when the sugar content made them incredibly calorific. Don't just take my word for the impact of sugar, though - here's a report from Harvard.

A two litre bottle of coke contains over 850 calories, which is one-third of the recommended daily calorie intake for a man. That is a huge amount of calories, yet a lot of people drink more than that each day without realising the impact it is having. A single McDonald's muffin is more than 25% of a woman's daily calorie intake and one of their large meals can be close to the full amount. As for Starbucks, the number of calories in some of their drinks is ridiculous. Some of their drinks contain over 600 calories, which is more than what previous generations ate for an entire meal.

The NYC sugary drinks ban may not be the right solution to the problem but something needs to be done. Businesses cannot be allowed to continue marketing products they know to be unhealthy for the majority of the population without consequence.

please,give me a break. anyone who drinks 2 litres of coke will not stop drinking 2L of coke if it didn't come in a 2L bottle. they will drink 6 cans of coke instead.And if you make the container smaller,they will drink more of the smaller kind. Same with fast food. If you make the meals smaller,they will order more.

The problem isn't the product. The problem is people over consuming things. They are over consuming things because its convenient,cheap and tastes good. Peope work all day,the last thing they want to do is go home and make dinner.

If a family feels like eating chicken for dinner,do they A. go to the supermarket and buy lean chicken breasts and other ingredients,pay a hefty sum of money for the product,go home and waste a lot of time and using up the utilities(oven,water,dishwasher), or B.Go to KFC,get a big bucket of friend breaded chicken and creamy potatoe salad and fries for a fraction of the cost of A.? Of course B sounds much better. No mess, cheaper, and fills them up more.

There is no solution to it. We're already too far into this lifestyle that we're ****ed. Greed got in the way. Getting a nice fresh piece of fish or chicken or beef costs an arm and a leg. Electricity bills are through the roof. Jobs pay **** all. Everyday we get dinged with a bill for breathing,and all some governments can come up with is put a limit on the size of sugary treats? LOL pathetic.

• Like 3

And did you write down what else you ate along with the soda ?

was no need to. Eating habits, job, etc stayed the same. The only things that changed each time was the sugar filled regular soda. This was retried 3 times in a year with the same results.

please,give me a break. anyone who drinks 2 litres of coke will not stop drinking 2L of coke if it didn't come in a 2L bottle. they will drink 6 cans of coke instead.And if you make the container smaller,they will drink more of the smaller kind. Same with fast food. If you make the meals smaller,they will order more.

The problem isn't the product. The problem is people over consuming things. They are over consuming things because its convenient,cheap and tastes good. Peope work all day,the last thing they want to do is go home and make dinner.

But that's what makes the sugary drink ban so effective - it makes people realise that what they're doing is unhealthy. People are much less likely to order two smaller drinks, so they'll either buy a diet drink, stick with the smaller one or get something different altogether. Anybody buying two drinks to get around the ban cannot be under the impression that what they're doing is healthy.

People have become used to large portion sizes in western culture?particularly in America but also in the UK?and something needs to be done to break that psychological barrier. If people are hungry they will often order the largest portion size, even if they don't actually need or want that much. If you restrict the calorie content of meals and drinks then anybody wanting to exceed it has to order two meals, which is where a lot of people draw the line. It's hard to appreciate the level of denial that takes place in people who are overweight, as they often play down how much of an issue it is. Social pressure is very effective at changing peoples habits and if they're effectively made to hold up a sign to the world saying "I'm a fatty because I'm ordering two drinks" then some people will change.

The sugary drinks ban needs to just be the start, though. Restaurants need to be serving portion sizes that are medically healthy - there is no good reason as to why they should be serving 1,500 calorie meals (including drinks and sides) to an average person. I appreciate that some people have greater dietary requirements (i.e. bodybuilders, athletes, etc) but making them order two meals isn't an issue because they know it is healthy for their body. A lot of people simply don't realise how unhealthy a lot of the food is that they're ordering and some gentle social pressure can make a bit difference.

People are much less likely to order two smaller drinks, so they'll either buy a diet drink, stick with the smaller one or get something different altogether. Anybody buying two drinks to get around the ban cannot be under the impression that what they're doing is healthy.

Not necessarily. If you're buying bottles, then yeah you can't get around it without paying extra. However most restaurants / fast food places in America have free refills. So you can get the small size and refill it as many times as you please.

Sugar is not the fattening agent --- high fat foods are.

Wow. That's so wrong.

^ I know that I could never drink enuff soda to gain weight. :laugh:

Actually I lost 7 pounds and counting by not drinking pop.

Findings

For each additional serving of sugar-sweetened drink consumed, both body mass index (BMI) (mean 0?24 kg/m2; 95% CI 0?10?0?39; p=0?03) and frequency of obesity (odds ratio 1?60; 95% CI 1?14?2?24; p=0?02) increased after adjustment for anthropometric, demographic, dietary, and lifestyle variables. Baseline consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks was also independently associated with change in BMI (mean 0?18 kg/m2 for each daily serving; 95% CI 0?09?0?27; p=0?02).

http://www.sciencedi...140673600040411

For boys, intakes of sugar-added beverages (? = 0.03) and diet soda (? = 0.12) were significantly associated with weight gains; there were suggestions (p < 0.06) that intakes of milk (? = 0.02) and fruit juices (? = 0.04) were also associated.

For boys, increasing sugar-added beverage intake from one year to the next was significantly associated (? = 0.04 per added daily serving; p = 0.01) with weight gain (Table 4), and increasing milk and diet soda intakes were weakly associated (p < 0.10) with weight gain.

http://onlinelibrary...by.2004.94/full

You're really damn dense.

i drink alot of soda. I drink diet soda becasue if I switch to regular soda I gain 5lbs a week. Tried it 3X and same result each time.

Would you say you're addicted to the caffeine? I use to get real ****y whenever I hadn't had one in awhile.

If a family feels like eating chicken for dinner,do they A. go to the supermarket and buy lean chicken breasts and other ingredients,pay a hefty sum of money for the product,go home and waste a lot of time and using up the utilities(oven,water,dishwasher), or B.Go to KFC,get a big bucket of friend breaded chicken and creamy potatoe salad and fries for a fraction of the cost of A.? Of course B sounds much better. No mess, cheaper, and fills them up more.

I can get a 3 lb bag of individually frozen, de-boned, de-skinned chicken breasts for less than 6$. Two pounds of individually wrapped, frozen fish fillets costs 8$. A head of cabbage was 0.33$/lb at the store today - a head of broccoli costs less than 3$. Carrots are usually less than a dollar a pound. A one-pound box of linguini costs less than a dollar, and tomato sauce costs almost nothing. Rice is something like less than a nickel per oz. Mushrooms can usually be found for about 1.50$/8 oz box, sliced or whole. Beef is more problematic these days - I can't find any non-bulk cuts for much less than 2.50$/lb. I wouldn't call any of those disastrously expensive though. Still, seems like people have forgotten how to buy basics.

was no need to. Eating habits, job, etc stayed the same. The only things that changed each time was the sugar filled regular soda. This was retried 3 times in a year with the same results.

ever heard of the law of conservation of energy? you know,energy cannot be created nor destroyed. you cant possibly gain weight by thin air. unless you over consume energy,you wont gain weight. impossible. cant beat physics.

Bloomberg is a communist! The dictator of New York telling people what they can and can't drink!

America is slowly becoming a communist country.

How would he be a communist? Maybe if the drinks were produced by the state, and you had no choice but to choose the state's soft drinks.

I just don't see how banning sugary drinks would be considered a Communist act.

all you guys that wanna tell others how to eat hopefully get a taste of your own medicine....

I think we should ban eating celery becuase I got hurt by one becuase it made me slip on the floor. celery could be bad for you becuase you can trip on it.

• Like 1

ever heard of the law of conservation of energy? you know,energy cannot be created nor destroyed. you cant possibly gain weight by thin air. unless you over consume energy,you wont gain weight. impossible. cant beat physics.

Um there's a difference though.

If you were to eat 800 calories worth of meat, you'd probably feel full and not want to eat anymore. If you were to drink 800 calories of soda, you probably won't be feeling full and you'd eat food which increases the amount of calories you intake.

You can't survive purely on soda and nor can soda be a meal.

all you guys that wanna tell others how to eat hopefully get a taste of your own medicine....

I think we should ban eating celery becuase I got hurt by one becuase it made me slip on the floor. celery could be bad for you becuase you can trip on it.

I don't want to tell anyone how to eat, let alone ban foods just because some people can't help but inhale 60 donuts at once or something equally ridiculous. Last thing people need is more government control telling us what to do, what to eat, and so forth. Honestly, if you want to kill yourself with food, drugs, and so forth, go right on ahead. Nothing of value will be lossed.

Not necessarily. If you're buying bottles, then yeah you can't get around it without paying extra. However most restaurants / fast food places in America have free refills. So you can get the small size and refill it as many times as you please.

Things like that need to stop as they just encourage excessive consumption.

Celery actually has an effective negative calorific value! It costs your body more calories to process and digest it that you actually get out of it. Therefore it's the LAST food you should ban!

celery is bad becuase you can get it stuck in your teeth as well...

and brocolli farts are HIGHLY TOXIC

I have read and heard on various outlets that fructose period,gets absorbed and stored as fat. Sucrose and sucralose both can't be absorbed but goes from mouth to toilet without being absorbed. Sugar is natural but probably bad in excess. I have studied and read both sides on this issue but for sure aspartame/phenylalanine(sp?) Are derived from fecal matter of bacteria such as E.coli, which is a neurotoxin

Um there's a difference though.

If you were to eat 800 calories worth of meat, you'd probably feel full and not want to eat anymore. If you were to drink 800 calories of soda, you probably won't be feeling full and you'd eat food which increases the amount of calories you intake.

You can't survive purely on soda and nor can soda be a meal.

I was thinking hes saying just from drinking the soda made him gain the weight. you know,from TEH SUGARZ

Judge Blocks Ban on Mega Sodas :p

A judge threw out New York City?s ban on supersized sugary drinks today, prompting an angry Mayor Michael Bloomberg to say the judge was ?totally in error? and that ?we?re talking about lives versus profits.?

Judge Milton Tingling called the soda ban ?arbitrary and capricious? in a 36 page order.

Passed in September and scheduled to take effect Tuesday, the law ?would not only violate the separation of powers doctrine, it would eviscerate it. Such an evisceration has the potential to be more troubling than sugar sweetened beverages,? he said.

Bloomberg said the city would appeal the ruling.

http://abcnews.go.co...sized-soda-ban/

Judge Blocks Ban on Mega Sodas :p

A judge threw out New York City?s ban on supersized sugary drinks today, prompting an angry Mayor Michael Bloomberg to say the judge was ?totally in error? and that ?we?re talking about lives versus profits.?

Judge Milton Tingling called the soda ban ?arbitrary and capricious? in a 36 page order.

Passed in September and scheduled to take effect Tuesday, the law ?would not only violate the separation of powers doctrine, it would eviscerate it. Such an evisceration has the potential to be more troubling than sugar sweetened beverages,? he said.

Bloomberg said the city would appeal the ruling.

http://abcnews.go.co...sized-soda-ban/

Lets celebrate. Big GULPS on me.