new york obesity overturn regulation frappuccino drink

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 24,737 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:55

Sugar is not the fattening agent --- high fat foods are.

Well I've been doing a "low" carb thing since May 2012 and i'm going to have to disagree. While I don't cut carbs out all together and I still eat bread, I have given up, Potato,Pasta and RICE! Hell I eat lots of cheese on Pepperoni slices for a snack at night.

#17 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:17

Sugar can be burnt off HFCS can't so easily.

Lots of people are dumbasses and can't tell the difference.

http://www.fitsugar....s-Sugar-2636801

http://www.cbsnews.c...scientists-say/

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:20

Well I've been doing a "low" carb thing since May 2012 and i'm going to have to disagree. While I don't cut carbs out all together and I still eat bread, I have given up, Potato,Pasta and RICE! Hell I eat lots of cheese on Pepperoni slices for a snack at night.

I've been doing the low carbs thing since the first of the year and I can really tell the difference already.

#19 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 852 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:29

I did the low carb thing, and I can say that if you cut them out all together, you will see drastic results. I gave up the diet actually, lost a lot of weight, never felt healthy. Since quitting I did regain some weight, all with the same amount of exercise.

#20 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 783 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:40

Guys it is a minimal almost do-nothing legislation for your own health and the health of idiots around you.
This is the best you can get from US government.

#21 einsteinbqat

einsteinbqat

Neowinian

• 1,233 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S 64GB • iOS 7.1

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:54

Sugar is not the fattening agent --- high fat foods are.

Wrong. Excess glucose (sugar) is transformed by the liver into fat. In medicine, this process is part of the lipogenesis.

#22 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,298 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:44

Rather than banning sugary drinks we should ban HFCS. It's worse than sugar and thanks to lobbying its all you can get in the US...

#23 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,132 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:52

OK --- I challenge you to consume nothing but some sugary drink for a week -- all you want.

Tell me how much you 'gained'. :laugh: Odds are you'll lose weight.

i drink alot of soda. I drink diet soda becasue if I switch to regular soda I gain 5lbs a week. Tried it 3X and same result each time.

#24 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,011 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:16

I used to have 2 sugars in tea, and have coffee with condensed milk but migrated long ago to good quality (not the watered down stuff!) skimmed milk with zero sugars. Tried sugared tea (by accident) the other day and was horrible. For anyone who wants to move down, just do it slowly to one sugar and buy good quality skimmed milk (not the cheapest).

It's clear that society isn't moving well with the times on the health front. Since the government should do what's in the best interests of the people, a ban or a heavy tax on fatty/salty/sugared foods would be a good move.

#25 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:19

sugar doesn't make you fat. that's the stupidest thing ive ever heard. over consumption makes you fat. sugar doesn't even contain a lot of calories. you can sit there all day and eat nothing but lean chicken breasts and veggies and still gain fat,and become diabetic.

just because diabetics cant eat sugar doesn't mean sugar causes diabetes.

#26 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,435 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:44

^ I know that I could never drink enuff soda to gain weight. :laugh:

These 'researchers' and sugar haters are not looking at what people eat, along with the soda.

Cheeseburgers, potato chips, hot dogs, pizza, high fat foods.

Then they blame it all on the 'evil' sugar.

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity. In fact there have been numerous reports and documentaries that explain how the US media vilified fat while adding sugar—particularly HFCS—into products. Companies were advertising products as "fat free" to make them sound healthy, when the sugar content made them incredibly calorific. Don't just take my word for the impact of sugar, though - here's a report from Harvard.

A two litre bottle of coke contains over 850 calories, which is one-third of the recommended daily calorie intake for a man. That is a huge amount of calories, yet a lot of people drink more than that each day without realising the impact it is having. A single McDonald's muffin is more than 25% of a woman's daily calorie intake and one of their large meals can be close to the full amount. As for Starbucks, the number of calories in some of their drinks is ridiculous. Some of their drinks contain over 600 calories, which is more than what previous generations ate for an entire meal.

The NYC sugary drinks ban may not be the right solution to the problem but something needs to be done. Businesses cannot be allowed to continue marketing products they know to be unhealthy for the majority of the population without consequence.

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 15,435 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:53

I used to have 2 sugars in tea, and have coffee with condensed milk but migrated long ago to good quality (not the watered down stuff!) skimmed milk with zero sugars. Tried sugared tea (by accident) the other day and was horrible. For anyone who wants to move down, just do it slowly to one sugar and buy good quality skimmed milk (not the cheapest).

I used to have sugar and full fat milk in my tea when I was young but now all I use is 1% fat milk and I often have tea without any milk. If I try tea with sugar now it tastes wrong. As for skimmed milk, I've tried it before but I really don't like it.

#28 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,822 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 23:01

Wrong. Excess glucose (sugar) is transformed by the liver into fat. In medicine, this process is part of the lipogenesis.

Odd -- I never gain weight from simple sugar.

Try my previous challenge.

i drink alot of soda. I drink diet soda becasue if I switch to regular soda I gain 5lbs a week. Tried it 3X and same result each time.

And did you write down what else you ate along with the soda ?

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity.

This is just a load of non-sense they want you to believe.

What they call 'sugary' snacks are mostly loaded up with FAT.

Sugar is not some dangerous poison. ;)

#29 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 23:13

Refusing to accept proven facts doesn't make them any less true. Sugar is one of the biggest drivers of obesity. In fact there have been numerous reports and documentaries that explain how the US media vilified fat while adding sugar—particularly HFCS—into products. Companies were advertising products as "fat free" to make them sound healthy, when the sugar content made them incredibly calorific. Don't just take my word for the impact of sugar, though - here's a report from Harvard.

A two litre bottle of coke contains over 850 calories, which is one-third of the recommended daily calorie intake for a man. That is a huge amount of calories, yet a lot of people drink more than that each day without realising the impact it is having. A single McDonald's muffin is more than 25% of a woman's daily calorie intake and one of their large meals can be close to the full amount. As for Starbucks, the number of calories in some of their drinks is ridiculous. Some of their drinks contain over 600 calories, which is more than what previous generations ate for an entire meal.

The NYC sugary drinks ban may not be the right solution to the problem but something needs to be done. Businesses cannot be allowed to continue marketing products they know to be unhealthy for the majority of the population without consequence.

please,give me a break. anyone who drinks 2 litres of coke will not stop drinking 2L of coke if it didn't come in a 2L bottle. they will drink 6 cans of coke instead.And if you make the container smaller,they will drink more of the smaller kind. Same with fast food. If you make the meals smaller,they will order more.

The problem isn't the product. The problem is people over consuming things. They are over consuming things because its convenient,cheap and tastes good. Peope work all day,the last thing they want to do is go home and make dinner.

If a family feels like eating chicken for dinner,do they A. go to the supermarket and buy lean chicken breasts and other ingredients,pay a hefty sum of money for the product,go home and waste a lot of time and using up the utilities(oven,water,dishwasher), or B.Go to KFC,get a big bucket of friend breaded chicken and creamy potatoe salad and fries for a fraction of the cost of A.? Of course B sounds much better. No mess, cheaper, and fills them up more.

There is no solution to it. We're already too far into this lifestyle that we're ****ed. Greed got in the way. Getting a nice fresh piece of fish or chicken or beef costs an arm and a leg. Electricity bills are through the roof. Jobs pay **** all. Everyday we get dinged with a bill for breathing,and all some governments can come up with is put a limit on the size of sugary treats? LOL pathetic.

#30 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,132 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:14

And did you write down what else you ate along with the soda ?

was no need to. Eating habits, job, etc stayed the same. The only things that changed each time was the sugar filled regular soda. This was retried 3 times in a year with the same results.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!