Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

USB shortcircuit fried my laptop?

2 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an Alienware M17x R3 that was working fine this morning. I went to plug in a powered usb hub, and the laptop shut off and refused to power on or do anything at all. I've taken out the battery as well as the cmos battery and left it for a few hours until I tried again, but still nothing. The battery is fully charged.

I didn't notice any sparks or burning smells when this happened, but I'm going to assume that the USB port somehow shortcircuited, but I thought there was built in mechanisms to protect motherboards from surges from USB ports? Is there anything else I can do, or has this motherboard just bit the dust? The warranty on this expired a month ago.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Have you tried turning on the laptop w/ just the AC adapter plugged in? (no battery)

Have seen USB ports get fried, but never saw one take out the whole motherboard. But, maybe it could happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.