I have an Alienware M17x R3 that was working fine this morning. I went to plug in a powered usb hub, and the laptop shut off and refused to power on or do anything at all. I've taken out the battery as well as the cmos battery and left it for a few hours until I tried again, but still nothing. The battery is fully charged.
I didn't notice any sparks or burning smells when this happened, but I'm going to assume that the USB port somehow shortcircuited, but I thought there was built in mechanisms to protect motherboards from surges from USB ports? Is there anything else I can do, or has this motherboard just bit the dust? The warranty on this expired a month ago.