usa pew research center internet & american life project poll

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,998 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:50

The Facebook craze that gave us Farmville and notes from "friends" about their breakfast and just about everything else may finally be ending.

A new Pew Research Center poll finds that a huge group of users, 61 percent, are taking breaks from Facebook up to "several weeks" long, and that virtually all age groups are decreasing their time on the social media site that recently flopped in its initial public offering of publicly traded stock. Most devastating: 38 percent of users aged 18-29, the focus of advertisers on the site, plan to slash their time on Facebook this year.

The poll's findings that users are pulling back on their Facebook obsession flies in the face of the poll's other finding that Americans are spending more time on social network sites. It didn't indicate where internet users are going instead of Facebook. In Washington, many lawmakers are shifting their attention from Facebook posts to Twitter.

The Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project poll, provided to Secrets, found that 67 percent of online adults are Facebook users, a sign of just how important the website is to American life.

But the poll also found that many users seem to be getting bored with the website started in 2004. Besides the 61 percent who report taking long breaks from it, 42 percent of those aged 18-29, 34 percent of those 30-49, and 23 percent of users 50 and over have decreased their time on Facebook over the last year.

When asked why users were abandoning Facebook, 21 percent said they have run out of time to check in with the site. Some 10 percent "pointed toward a general lack of interest in the site," an equal 10 percent said it lacked "compelling content," another 9 percent said it was too full of "drama" and "excessive gossip" from friends, and 8 percent worried that they were becoming addicts.

Worse for Facebook, one in five adults told Pew that they no longer use Facebook. And while 59 percent said the site famous for sharing thoughts and pictures remains "about as important to them as it was a year ago," 28 percent said it isn't as important.

Pew also asked users about their Facebook usage plans for this year. One in four said they are planning to "cut back" on their Facebook usage.

source

#2 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,413 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:52

In other news it's also not cool to admit you're spending hours at a time on any social network or the crappy games on it :p

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,998 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:54

I abandoned Facebook since the beginning. :D

#4 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:59

People still use Facebook?

#5 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,981 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:04

I liked shunning cool things way before it was cool.

People still prefix damn rhetorical questions that serve no purpose with "people still"?

#6 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,331 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:05

I'm only on facebook now to troll other people's status updates

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,824 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:05

Funny, all these apps/hardware integrating Facebook and when FB flops, it will at some point and time just like MySpace, you have a bunch of useless hardware/software features.

#8 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,901 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:10

You knew the answer to that before you even wrote that down.

#9 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,828 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:12

I have been slowing down my posting on facebook and will hopefully by the end of the year not be using it anymore. I have been using it since it was schools only.

#10 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,347 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:12

Funny, all these apps/hardware integrating Facebook and when FB flops, it will at some point and time just like MySpace, you have a bunch of useless hardware/software features.

I haven't read about hardware designed specifically for Facebook. As for Facebook being useless, it depends on the individual. Take a look at MySpace. There are people that used it since day one and despite its lack of popularity (compared to Facebook), it's still around.

My close friends and I don't use Facebook as often as we used to. I think it started near the end of 2010. We went back to plain old SMS/phone calls. I don't even use Twitter that often either and I don't have an Instagram account.

#11 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,476 posts
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:19

I have a facebook, but I posted maybe 3 times. It's stupid. You want to find out what I'm doing? Call me, email me, come over and hang out.

#12 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:32

hmm, the next fad would be cloud based VR hangout then, with google glass.

#13 +Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

• 1,939 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:36

I haven't read about hardware designed specifically for Facebook.

http://www.neowin.ne...ecs-have-leaked

There was also another HTC phone, the Status, that head a dedicated Facebook button.

#14 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,014 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 15:48

deactivated my FB account last year. dont miss it one bit. i never used it.

my favorite are the people that think FB is the only form of communication these days. "oh, you didnt know about <event>? i put it up on FB..." how about you just email it instead? if you want me to come, call me...

#15 Belazor

Belazor

Neowinian

• 577 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:57

deactivated my FB account last year. dont miss it one bit. i never used it.

my favorite are the people that think FB is the only form of communication these days. "oh, you didnt know about <event>? i put it up on FB..." how about you just email it instead? if you want me to come, call me...

Are you saying that you're so special they should take extra measures to invite you separately from everyone else?

I'd agree with you if you were talking about yourself and 1 other mate that wanted to see a movie.
I'd borderline agree with you if you were talking about a group of 3-4 mates, but only if you're talking about something with a set schedule (i.e. Band X plays at Venue Y) and only if you also IM with the others.

Even then, you're still that guy that doesn't want to make things easier on everybody because... um... because you don't like it. Or something.

Tell me, what's easier:
a) Create a new event -> Invite everyone on friends list or everyone who's likely to be interested -> whoever wants to go RSVP's -> Fun
b) Individually call/text 25+ people to let them know something's about to go down

If you can think of a single logical reason why we should not leverage technology to make these kind of things easier then I'd like to hear it.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!