maryland speedy lane aaa high winds

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:44

A Maryland woman has gotten a very unusual speeding ticket for driving a mere two miles under the speed limit on Interstate 95. :huh:

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

"[I was] really shocked," she told the station. "I thought, 'Oh my God, you've got to be kidding me.'"

Of course, commuters who get annoyed by someone hogging the right lane might salute the move.

However, the woman noted the area was experiencing heavy winds at the time and she was only driving under the speed limit as a safety precaution. She also claimed to have never been ticketed before.

"Sometimes when it's dangerous, you have to do what you can to stay safe," she said.

She has one ally on her side: the local branch of AAA.

"The reason [the ticket] is silly is because it's sending the wrong message," said John Townsend of AAA Mid-Atlantic. "And that is, 'We will tolerate you driving at more than the speed limit, but it you drive below the speed limit, then you're penalized for that.'"

source

#2 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,822 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47

Local NBC affiliate News4 reports that the woman, who asked to keep her name anonymous, was driving 63 miles per hour in a 65-mph zone. Police say the reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters.

source

She was NOT cited for only driving too slow. Maryland along with ALOT of other states have a drive right, pass left. You can only stay in the left lane for passing, and you can only be in the left lane for like a mile or two when you're not passing. She shouldn't have been idiot and hung out in the left lane and went slow.

#3 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,980 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:48

"The reason they ticketed her was that she was driving in the left lane reserved for speedier commuters"

I think that explains itself. I hate people that can't follow simple rules of the road.

#4 Phemo

Phemo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,955 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:50

Yeah people driving in the wrong lane for no good reason is extremely irritating. She deserved that. I wish we had police enforcing the keep left rule on UK roads.

#5 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,224 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:00

i am not certain about where she lived however, in Ohio impeding the flow of traffic is a ticketable offense. and the Left hand lane is allowed to exceed the speed limit by 5Mph

#6 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:21

Slow driving should be a ticketed offense. Studies have shown that on a 65mph road, someone going 45 in the middle lane will actually be the cause of 1 to 2 hour traffic jams. It has to do with how everyone reacts around the slower driver, becoming more cautious, thus making each person behind the other slow down little by little. Was a really neat show that I saw it on, where they had computer simulations of a lot of different road events.

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:38

What she did was against the law.

#8 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Resident Snail Herder

• 1,561 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:49

Good she deserved it. Left lane is the fast lane, you want to go slower to be safe then move to the right lane. I hate it when people go into the left lane on the freeway and drive 60MPH when the rest of traffic is going 80+

#9 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,123 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:02

Good she deserved it. Left lane is the fast lane, you want to go slower to be safe then move to the right lane. I hate it when people go into the left lane on the freeway and drive 60MPH when the rest of traffic is going 80+

meh I disagree. The speed limit is exactly what it says a limit. If he's going 2 miles shy of the speed limit then idc what lane she's in. If people who are in the left lane are mad somebody is going the speed limit and preventing them from going 80+ miles per hour then cry me a river they need to complain to legislators in their states to raise the speed limit.

I'm familiar with the law that a poster above quoted that says you can only be in the left lane to overtake traffic, we have a similar law in Georgia. However the law is very loosely enforced and technically if somebody is going to speed limit that they are legally allowed to go without being ticketed then how can you fault them for riding in the lane throughout.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,341 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:42

i hate drivers that drive too slow,or drive slow in the fast lane. i say good,she deserves it.

#11 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,713 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:51

When someone pulls out in front of me and starts going really slow like that, I make Fernando Alonso style hand gestures at the other driver and overtake.

#12 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,644 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:52

Relevant video:

#13 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:54

In Michigan we have the left-lane rule too, the limit might be 65-70 on suburban freeways, and they'll admit to giving +5 a pass. That said, most days if you aren't going 75-85 you'll have tire tread marks on your roof - and the cops go faster, needlessly, than anyone.

#14 P!P

P!P

73695 of.. a lot

• 2,923 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59

meh I disagree. The speed limit is exactly what it says a limit. If he's going 2 miles shy of the speed limit then idc what lane she's in. If people who are in the left lane are mad somebody is going the speed limit and preventing them from going 80+ miles per hour then cry me a river they need to complain to legislators in their states to raise the speed limit.

Why do you have to use the extreme of 80? In this case, if someone simply wanted to do the speed limit in the fast lane they could not with this lady in front of them. Say what you want but highways and interstates are meant for fast driving. If you want to drive slow, take the side streets. So much time and money is wasted driving, we don't need one driver slowing everyone down. This case is very simple, the left lane is designed for passing and those going the fastest on the highway. If you're not, you're impeding traffic which is illegal in almost every state and basis for the ticket.

#15 quick

quick

Neowinian

• 1,486 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:13

Relevant video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPv7Qdt0zWY

OMFG that is too funny!!!! Awesome! Get that slow mf out of the way lol. :D :D :D