• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,323 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:55

What is wrong with the world today? I am not making any argument that Google loves you more than Microsoft. They all want to own you as if you are a sheep or a commodity.

My point was simply that it is sad to see Microsoft in this game. Open computing is what allowed them to come into existence.

Why does it all need to be some fan boy us vs them thing in here?

HA! I love how you use different scales when it comes to Microsoft vs. Google. Cut the bull****. You made exactly the argument you are now denying.

#17 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• 17,370 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 14 March 2013 - 23:57

Sorry to interrupt your anti-MS rant but my Lumia 920 includes the option to set Google as the default search provider.

Not available on Windows Phone 7.8. Microsoft must have decided the Nokia Lumia 900's hardware isn't powerful enough for Google searching either.

#18 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

• 321 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:25

To be clear, the thing that changed between 7.0 and 7.5 was that the search button was no longer contextual (a feature that was always limited to a handful of built-in apps - third-party apps could never plug in to it). So in 7.0 if you hit search inside IE it would do a "browser" search, just as if you hit search inside Office it would do an "Office" search (IIRC). The "browser" search was what was and still is configurable. In 7.5 (and later releases) there's still a "browser" search and you can still set it to Google, but it no longer hooks into the search button which is hard-linked to the Bing app (everywhere), instead you have to enter a non-URL or "?" prefixed search string in the address box.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:31

I wish them well but so far none of their search ideas have worked out that well, as far as market is concerned anyway.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!