22 posts in this topic

Posted

Mystery booms are still heard around Genesee, New York. This article cites several incidents around the country and focuses on this particular area.

It is a phenomena that has sparked curiosity throughout the country for several years now.

The booms, however, have grown more frequent.

Dr. Mark Castner, director of Braun-Ruddick Seismograph Station at Canisius College, told WIVB-TV in Buffalo that booms can be associated with an earthquake, quarry blasts, building implosions or sonic booms.

Seismographic records reported no unusual activity, however, and officials at Niagara Falls Air Reserve have had no aircraft flying in the area during the times of the reported booms.

The witnesses sometimes report that the dogs bark and the houses shake. I currently experience booms from a military testing area over 7 miles away. On some days, it DOES upset the dog. But making the house move is a very different thing. To cause movement, if indeed it DID do that (some people perceive movement based on the sound) in the house would suggest there is movement on the ground

Posted

Anybody checked to see if NK's testing again...?

Posted

People have alleged that the US military are working on supposedly secret seismic weapons. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but I'd be surprised if they weren't!

Posted

Every time there is a boom, another bit of Florida falls into a sink hole. :shiftyninja:
Too soon?

Posted

They're just micro earthquakes. There was a few of them in this state last year:
http://news.yahoo.com/micro-earthquakes-caused-booms-clintonville-wis-212100038.html

Posted

My house moves when a truck drives past, if I have my head on the wall at night watching a film in bed it feels like when you put your head against the window of a bus or car when its moving

--

Maybe fracking is causing it

Posted

Aliens are just enlarging the underground bases, to handle the fatter Earthlings. :alien:

Posted

Posted

We had "mysterious booms" here for awhile. It turned out to be teenagers filling balloons with helium and exploding them at altitude. Well, that was the official report anyways.

Posted

[quote name='Nothing Here' timestamp='1363620139' post='595584420']
We had "mysterious booms" here for awhile. It turned out to be teenagers filling balloons with helium and exploding them at altitude. Well, that was the official report anyways.
[/quote]
Yeah, that sounds plausible. :s

Posted

[quote name='ahhell' timestamp='1363620418' post='595584430']
Yeah, that sounds plausible. :s
[/quote]

I just think it was that new Science lab on the other side of the mountain, testing something.

Posted

my hubby needs to lay off the burritos!

Posted

we had large sonic booms around me a few times in the past 10yrs... yet no jets in the air apparently......

Posted

[quote]
There is some evidence to suggest that very shallow earthquakes or shallow changes in the subsurface, may sometimes cause audible noises but NOT register on seismographs
[/quote]

This sounds like the most reasonable explanation to me.

Posted

the new version of Hail Cannon testing?

Posted

Sounds similar to the nearby [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Lake_(New_York)#Guns_of_the_Seneca"]Seneca (Lake) Guns[/url]. I heard them once while I was in Geneseo, NY fossil collecting. Never thought anything of it, till my room mate mentioned the local news talking about it.

Posted

Any Air Force bases nearby?

[img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121006221511/streetfighter/images/b/b5/Guile-cfe-sonicboom.gif[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted

These booms are being heard all around the world ... it's a real mystery

Posted

Microquakes are my guess. The upstate NY region is a hotbed of minor fault lines, thanks to past glacial activity that compacted the Earth's crust in the region. Now that the glaciers are gone, the crust is rebounding, causing the seismic events.

Posted

We get those here time and again. It is the Air Force base disposing of old munitions.

We live a good 10 miles away and it knocks pictures off our walls. They don't tell anyone when they are going to do it, either.

Posted

[quote name='Nothing Here' timestamp='1363620139' post='595584420']
[/quote]

Sounds about like the 'weather balloon' explanation.

Posted

Maybe it's fat women casing after the ice cream truck?