Over 2000 people form Facebook thumbs-up

More than 2,400 people from Lulea, Sweden, attempted a new Guinness World Record when they formed an enormous Facebook "thumbs up" symbol on their frozen-over town harbor.

The "thumbs up" paid homage to Facebook's new server hub in Lulea -- the company's first outside of the United States. Lulea was selected for its access to renewable energy from nearby hydropower facilities and its cold climate, to keep the servers cool.

The event took place on Saturday -- the 75th day of the year -- and also celebrated the town's population growing over 75,000 residents, according to UPI.

The "thumbs up" gesture, made famous from Facebook's "Like" button, was submitted to the Guinness World Record committee for consideration as the largest human hand formed on ice.

According to Guinness, no such record "on ice" currently exists. However, the world record for largest human image of a hand was set in March 2012 when 849 participants in San Juan, Puerto Rico, achieved the feat to celebrate a Nestl? Puerto Rico healthy eating campaign.

The town will have their work cut out for them, though, if they hope to gain the most Facebook photo Likes in history with their thumbs up shot. That honor still belongs to President Obama's election night photo. To date, that image has more than 4 million Likes.

source

post-37120-0-13670100-1363644969.jpg

the largest human hand formed on ice

And this is why the Guinness Book Of Records has become a joke. Sorry, but now if I get 100 people wearing red, I could set a record for "The largest human hand formed on ice by people wearing red".

Go back to celebrating achievements and freaks!

• Like 2

Am I missing something? All I see are 2400 people who do not have a life.

It's just something fun to do, to say you were there.

Spoilsport :p

Yeah, might as well get t-mobile in on the records too, they got a bunch of suckers to perform in 2 places and be used for advertising!

And this is why the Guinness Book Of Records has become a joke. Sorry, but now if I get 100 people wearing red, I could set a record for "The largest human hand formed on ice by people wearing red".

Quite right. They get no respect from me either.

Meanwhile, while those people are outdoors somewhere, you're sitting at home on your computer, and who does not have a life?

On another note, I too am sitting at home in front of my computer, lol!! But I know I have NO life.

...What a waste of time.

Go back to celebrating achievements and freaks!

Thumps up to you (no pun intended)!