Had to replace the laser in my PS3 Slim

I have a launch NTSC PS3 Slim, been running fine since I got it, and then the other day it started to refuse reading discs when placed horizontally. Had to put it vertically. I bought a new laser from Ebay, and got around to replacing it yesterday. Was quite an easy process, and everything works good again now.

Funnily enough I never had laser issues with my PS2, lasted the whole generation, so quite frustrating to see the PS3 laser crap out. It was cheap to buy the laser, but nevertheless, an expense.

PS3 was using 1st gen blu-ray lasers, however that's not an excuse for the quality.

I've also has to replaced my launch ps3 optical drive (swapped w/ working 40gb optical drive).

The lens went out, but the motor to feed and eject discs were starting to make odd noises I didn't lile.

(If you do a drive swap, you have to remove the controller board on the dive, and use the controller board with your system, there paired to the mother board)

I also proactively re-did the thermal paste (it was dried out, cracked, and creeped to the side of the chips) but no ylod symptoms, and put in the cooler, less wattage 40gb PS3 power supply to cut down heat in the system.

I had the same issue with my fat PS3, it was surprisingly easy to replace the laser assembly. Mine wouldn't read discs at all though.

Sadly, I am too scared to use my PS3 because is it a phat 60gb and heats up really fast because of the placement..

However, I did buy another PS3 that died on me.. I took the blue laser out and turned it into a laser pointer..

For those interested.. these post are a good start to read..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/noob-ps3-diode-build-45289.html

Sadly, I am too scared to use my PS3 because is it a phat 60gb and heats up really fast because of the placement..

However, I did buy another PS3 that died on me.. I took the blue laser out and turned it into a laser pointer..

For those interested.. these post are a good start to read..

http://laserpointerf...uild-45289.html

LOL, awesome.

A good tip for hot ps3s is to get sticky small rubber feet. These are typically square shapped, or a sheet which can be cut up. Layer up about 3/4 on top of each other, and place 4 of these groups under the PS3 to create bigger "feet".

The bottom of PS3s gets very hot, and because you have it flat on a surface, usually wood (which doesn't disperse heat well), the heat doesn't escape. The default feet on the bottom of the PS3 do not create enough of a gap between the surface and the console.

I'll take a picture of mine later to show.