SCREENSHOTS Build 9364

Keep in mind this is an alpha build, the release will be very very different. The search in control panel is like prealpha and only readily for debugging at the moment. If you don't want to use the new PC Settings there's a switch at the bottom to disable it!

I'm aware that its an early build, just commenting on what I see.

No hard feelings.

Has anyone seen a screenshot yet of all-black window chrome? Right now in Win8, it's nearly unusable because the title bar text is virtually invisible... Has this been fixed in Blue?

"High Contrast White" color scheme should be made default.

What does it look like in Blue? It bothered me in 8 that the high contrast themes were the only way you could actually customize the chrome a little bit.

Capture.PNG

Has anyone seen a screenshot yet of all-black window chrome? Right now in Win8, it's nearly unusable because the title bar text is virtually invisible... Has this been fixed in Blue?

Nope.

What does it look like in Blue? It bothered me in 8 that the high contrast themes were the only way you could actually customize the chrome a little bit.

I was being sarcastic. :laugh: Windows 7 was full of color. Windows 8 seems to have moved backwards onto a VGA color palette. What next, black and white only?

No, I don't think so. The simplified UI design's actually not as bad as I thought - it just takes some time to adjust. I was forced onto Outlook.com from Hotmail. The first 10 minutes of using it was a bit annoying, but a few days later, I'm pretty happy with it.

It's so so so hard to admit for Microsoft that they screwed up by removing a start menu.

Or by giving users the choice? (Though I think someone already mentioned this earlier on)

It's so so so hard to admit for Microsoft that they screwed up by removing a start menu.

Except they didn't screw up by removing the Start menu.

• Like 3

So you can do the 50/50 snap now for metro apps, but can you have more than 2 onscreen at a time as well?

Yes, if you have a high enough screen resolution it will allow you to do 3 and even 4 onscreen at the same time.

Yes, if you have a high enough screen resolution it will allow you to do 3 and even 4 onscreen at the same time.

Sweet, thanks for answering the question mate :)

Everyone going on about choice, you have choice. You have the choice to install any of a number of 3rd party menu or UI tweaks that you want. It's the same as it always has been, we've had start menu replacements since vista if not longer.

• Like 4

Everyone going on about choice, you have choice. You have the choice to install any of a number of 3rd party menu or UI tweaks that you want. It's the same as it always has been, we've had start menu replacements since vista if not longer.

or even replace explorer as your default shell (LiteStep is still around I think). :/ Some people just like to complain.

Most of the things should really have been in 8 since the start (no pun). It`s actually starting to look more and more like a phone/tablet OS with a desktop added. The best bit seen so far imo is the multiple apps on screen.

To me this sounds like recreating "desktop-mode".

I dislike how the new search bar in the settings pages overlap the title.

Is it a floating bar? Like it stays there as you scroll.

I had the same issue, but it ended up being the resolution of the VM. Once I put it in a widescreen resolution it looked fine and the overlap ceased.

I've tried it on VirtualBox, lags like a bitch though, how is everyone else's experience on VM?

Once I got the hang of Hyper-V in Win8 Pro, it works fine. Win8 Blue is fast and responsive, I can't move tiles around though and I'm unsure if that is a byproduct of this being a pre-release build or me running it in Hyper-V.

I had the same issue, but it ended up being the resolution of the VM. Once I put it in a widescreen resolution it looked fine and the overlap ceased.

Once I got the hang of Hyper-V in Win8 Pro, it works fine. Win8 Blue is fast and responsive, I can't move tiles around though and I'm unsure if that is a byproduct of this being a pre-release build or me running it in Hyper-V.

It seems you only can move tiles in Customize mode now. Same with group renaming.

I assume you cleared out your username and that isn't some goofy search box on SS? :)

The 50/50 is just ok. The 3x and 4x screens are just silly.

It's not a fixed 50/50 it can just as well be 60/40 it sounds like. Unlike the desktop snap it's not preset it seems. You could then have two snapped apps with the desktop in the middle if you want.