windows blue

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#166 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 April 2013 - 13:37

We might not see more desktop side changes till Windows 9 but it's metro that is immature of the two so it makes sense that they target that first. Still, who knows for sure? All we've seen is a M1 early build.

#167 OP ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:46

Posted Image

The new concatenated search!! Very very buggy, wouldn't recommend altering your reg for it, will restart explorer if you search things other than skydrive and a handfull of others. Definitely looks promising however!! Lets hope MS pulls of the whole wave of Blue updates really smoothly!

#168 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2013 - 13:23

In terms of tablet devices, yes, it's significant. To desktop users, it's hardly worth upgrading from 7 at the moment. However, I see more and more people using devices like the Slate in the future. Correction: it's "special".

hardly worth upgrading? There is a plenty of stuff in 8 that caters desktop users. Multi-monitor improvements, task manager, file copy/move dialogs, explorer ribbon, hyperV, overall performance etc. If nothing else, desktop users should benefit from at least more performance improvements in 8.1

#169 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 10 April 2013 - 15:28

One thing I dont get is are they going to release Blue as an update through Windows update or as a complete OS and you'll have to do fresh install as with these partner builds?

#170 nMIK-3

nMIK-3

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2013 - 15:33

One thing I dont get is are they going to release Blue as an update through Windows update or as a complete OS and you'll have to do fresh install as with these partner builds?

Nobody knows for sure.
If its free then it can be delivered either from Windows Update or Windows Store.
If its paid, then 99.9% will be delivered from WIndows Store.

#171 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 10 April 2013 - 15:59

Nobody knows for sure.
If its free then it can be delivered either from Windows Update or Windows Store.
If its paid, then 99.9% will be delivered from WIndows Store.

That's not what I'm asking. I mean would it require a fresh install and reinstalling all my software like these leaked builds, or will it be just an update and will install over my current setup like the service packs before.

#172 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 April 2013 - 16:26

That's not what I'm asking. I mean would it require a fresh install and reinstalling all my software like these leaked builds, or will it be just an update and will install over my current setup like the service packs before.

I bet you can do both depending on what you want. Upgrade like a SP or do a full install for those not already on 8 etc.

#173 nMIK-3

nMIK-3

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2013 - 16:53

You will be able to do both. Update an existing machine or clean install.

#174 OP ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:42

You will be able to do both. Update an existing machine or clean install.

Indeed, they are obviously not going to make everyone reinstall or there crap, nor are they going to make you install Windows 8 then install Blue over the top! We still are unsure of how this update will actually get to consumers though, it will most likely be a free update, as in if you have a Windows 8 license then you have a Blue license because thats how it works in the leaked builds but if for some strange reason it was paid then it would have to come through the Windows Store somehow or perhaps through a retail or download from Microsoft.com? Not likely at all, the logistics would be too much of a pain and if MS wants to restore some "faith" in Windows 8 they will want to push this update to as many devices as possible, as soon as possible!

#175 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 April 2013 - 00:58

How are you all getting through the installation process? Are you using your retail keys? I'm a bit worried about doing that...

Note: I am NOT asking for anyone's keys. Just maybe a push in the right direction. Thanks.

#176 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:19

Indeed, they are obviously not going to make everyone reinstall or there crap, nor are they going to make you install Windows 8 then install Blue over the top! We still are unsure of how this update will actually get to consumers though, it will most likely be a free update, as in if you have a Windows 8 license then you have a Blue license because thats how it works in the leaked builds but if for some strange reason it was paid then it would have to come through the Windows Store somehow or perhaps through a retail or download from Microsoft.com? Not likely at all, the logistics would be too much of a pain and if MS wants to restore some "faith" in Windows 8 they will want to push this update to as many devices as possible, as soon as possible!

Windows XP SP 2 never required a fresh install, neither will this one. And the only way you'll have to pay for this update, is if you update from a previous OS. XP SP 2 didn't require a credit card for XP users, neither will this one.

C'mon guys, this is common sense stuff.

#177 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:42

What am I supposed to be seeing here? The square Desktop tile?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Found on BA so could be shopped, although can't see any tell tale signs

#178 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:44

^ I can, 9375 should not be fbl_partner_out14, that was the lab for 9369 and they've been incrementing the number after out with each new partner release.

It also says Windows 8.1 Pro where it should say Windows 8.1 Pro Preview.