• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:06

Hey Guys,

So I've had a quick look around for some information on this, but I cannot find any clear facts. If I were to purchase SimCity for Windows, when the Mac version is available, would I be able to play it on my Mac?

My reason for asking is simple, I mainly use Steam as it gives me the flexibility between using Bootcamp for non-supported Games and Mac OS for any Games that have been ported. I worry that if I purchase the 'PC' version of SimCity, I'll only be able to play it in a Bootcamp state, which doesn't really help me as I'd like to play it on Mac OS when it's available.

So what do you guys think? Do you think EA will do the 'right' thing and let us play regardless of platform and have the game tied to the Origin Account, or do you think EA will release 'SimCity for Mac' as a separate product to 'SimCity'?

Thanks

Chris

#2 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:07

Its EA so they will probably charge

Source - I have none but its EA and they are just generally a money grabbing company

#3 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:11

Its EA so they will probably charge

Source - I have none but its EA and they are just generally a money grabbing company

This was my initial thought also. I guess the smart thing to do would be not buy the game until the OS X version is available, but by then a decent chunk of the community online would have died out. Plus, we have no release date.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:12

If you buy it on Steam I believe it would be cross-compatible like all the other games they offer. Like Teebor, I have no source but I remember back when Steam started supporting Mac that they said this.

EDIT: Wow, brain fart. I forgot that SimCity uses Origin...I go for EA screwing the users over.

#5 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:18

Yeah, I wish it was available via Steam. I completely trust Valve to do the right thing by there users, where as EA, not so much.

#6 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:28

I would send them this question, either via email or twitter and see if they respond.

Its a good question to ask them directly.

#7 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:35

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 12.34.13.png

Lets see what happens.

#8 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 March 2013 - 13:25

I have Dragon Age 2, Spore, Sims 3 and Sims Medieval for Mac showing in Origin and I've certainly never paid for any of them or owned a Mac.

I'm guessing you'll be good to go.

#9 vetLaura

Laura

Fwoomp

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:09

I have read that you won't have to pay again to play it on OS X.

I also found that with the Sims 3 attached to my Origin account, I can install and play it on both Windows and OS X without paying extra.

Edit: looking for a solid source about that but I can't find anything despite it being a common question. Even the EA customer service can't give consistent answers.

Edit edit: I found this: http://answers.ea.co...the/td-p/625216

See the last post on that page.

#10 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:50

Basing this comment on that being true...

And people wonder why there's so much EA bashing going on :rolleyes:

#11 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:55

Funny how the last post on the page and the last post in the thread say different things, but it's very likely the last post on the first page is correct.

Origin for Mac is new so the last post (if even true) is probably just support people that don't know the new stuff yet.

#12 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:55

The comment on the second page contradicts it though.

#13 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:23

And here you see my problem, nobody seams to know the correct answer, not even EA. The EA Rep I spoke to Yesterday wasn't even aware that they were releasing a Mac version. Not that he was all that bright honestly.

#14 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:29

And here you see my problem, nobody seams to know the correct answer, not even EA. The EA Rep I spoke to Yesterday wasn't even aware that they were releasing a Mac version. Not that he was all that bright honestly.

That's sad. I know EA is a massive company, but they really should know their own products. It would be one thing if it was a third party developer releasing a product on Origin, but Maxis is owned by EA, so they should know what products an arm of EA is doing.

It should be a simple answer, just like Steam, you buy one copy and you get it on all platforms that game is made for.

#15 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:03

You're probably better off waiting for the Mac version anyway considering all the issues that have been reported with SimCity.