SimCity PC > Mac

mac osx bootcamp origin simcity

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 +NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks

King-ding-A-Ling

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:14

As others have already said, the safest thing to do is wait for the Mac version to be released. However, with that said, I have successfully registered my CD keys for the Mac versions of Dragon Age 1 and 2 on Origin, and they are now available to me on PC (haven't checked on the Mac Origin client yet). As far as the games being different, the Mac games from EA so far have just been the Windows versions wrapped in a modified Cider client. So, they were basically the same code as the Windows counterparts. Also, the boxed DVD games included just one CD key for Mac and PC.

Anything can change with SimCity though.

#17 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:15

You're probably better off waiting for the Mac version anyway considering all the issues that have been reported with SimCity.

^^This

They are fixing the game slowly but I would still give them a little more time (despite a few people having fun playing the game). The biggest issue at the moment actually seems to be rollbacks and vanishing cities

#18 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:19

So I bit the bullet, or should I say my impatience got the better of me.

I was playing SimCity in Bootcamp last night; seamed to be running okay but it did lock the MacBook up a few times. But I'm sure thats just something wrong with the VMWare + Bootcamp Drivers.

I'll report back when the Mac version is available I guess...

#19 Teebor

Teebor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:54

Cool, Good luck :)
Check the other thread, I think Deranged has a Neowin region if you want to play with other people

#20 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 16:38

Cool, Good luck :)
Check the other thread, I think Deranged has a Neowin region if you want to play with other people

Honestly, I want to play with myself, gosh that sounds worse than it is. I like SimCity for the SinglePlayer aspects, if I wanted multiplayer, I'd play SimCity 2000 Network Edition.

#21 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 17:47

Honestly, I want to play with myself, gosh that sounds worse than it is. I like SimCity for the SinglePlayer aspects, if I wanted multiplayer, I'd play SimCity 2000 Network Edition.

There IS a solo-play option (which I and others have mentioned) - it's called Sandbox Mode.

You can Sandbox cities or entire regions. A region (either public, invite-only, or Sandbox) can be anywhere from three cities to eight.

Further, there is NO limit to the number of Sandboxes.

(Sandboxes are SERVER-specifc - so as long as you remember what servers you play on, you won't lose your Sandboxes; I have two Sandboxes on NA East 3, and one on NA East 4, for example.)

The anger isn't over a lack of solo play, but a lack of OFFLINE solo play.

#22 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:02

I have a round up with Hawkman on EW1 and with umm....someone else on NAE3 :laugh:

I don't know if I said something wrong or what but I'd prefer to have everyone together.

#23 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 March 2013 - 19:07

^^This

They are fixing the game slowly but I would still give them a little more time (despite a few people having fun playing the game). The biggest issue at the moment actually seems to be rollbacks and vanishing cities

My biggest concern is the very limited city size. I really don't care about the be-online to play single player. I sold my soul to Blizzard on that one when Diablo 3 came out. What concerns me is all the complaints about tiny city sizes. Do you know if they plan to address that at all or is that pretty much set in stone?

#24 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 28 March 2013 - 23:08

The small cities aren't actually so much of a problem as services can be 'traded' between other cities in a single Region. Think of it as splitting your city into chunks. While I'm still a fan of the huge cities from SimCity 2000; I'm starting to get the hang of the smaller cities.

#25 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:41

I have read that you won't have to pay again to play it on OS X.

I also found that with the Sims 3 attached to my Origin account, I can install and play it on both Windows and OS X without paying extra.

Edit: looking for a solid source about that but I can't find anything despite it being a common question. Even the EA customer service can't give consistent answers.

Edit edit: I found this: http://answers.ea.co...the/td-p/625216

See the last post on that page.

Thats also because the sims 3 dvd's shipped with as both windows and mac on one disk, and the download origin grabs is actually the cd image.

#26 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:45

There IS a solo-play option (which I and others have mentioned) - it's called Sandbox Mode.

The anger isn't over a lack of solo play, but a lack of OFFLINE solo play...

Your first sentence excited me. Your final sentence made me say, "yup, I'm still waiting." :(

#27 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 April 2013 - 14:24

http://forum.ea.com/...st/9432981.page

Q: How will users purchase the Mac version?
A: SimCity for Mac will be available as a digital download via Origin. It will be available for pre-purchase on Origin starting April 10th, 2013. If players have already purchased the PC version of the game, then they will receive the Mac version automatically on June 11, with no additional purchase needed.

#28 OP CPressland

CPressland

www.absolute.com

Posted 10 April 2013 - 14:40

http://forum.ea.com/...st/9432981.page

Booom!!! SHAKALAKA! Nice find!

Can't wait to be able to remove my Windows Partition again on the 11th, hopefully Maxis properly support the Mac Trackpads with gestures etc.

#29 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 14:49

And here you see my problem, nobody seams to know the correct answer, not even EA. The EA Rep I spoke to Yesterday wasn't even aware that they were releasing a Mac version. Not that he was all that bright honestly.

On the website of Simcity under system specifications the Mac version is said to be released Spring 2013: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/buy

#30 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 April 2013 - 15:15

Booom!!! SHAKALAKA! Nice find!

Can't wait to be able to remove my Windows Partition again on the 11th, hopefully Maxis properly support the Mac Trackpads with gestures etc.

I wouldn't really call it a 'find' since they announced it on the SimCity Facebook page just now, but you all obviously wanted to know so :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!