13 posts in this topic

u7McOQR.jpg

A decade ago, when I was on the national desk at Newsweek, a handful of us would spend slow nights competing to see who could come closest to writing the Platonic ideal of a perfect coverline.

The game only had one real guideline: The headlines had to be vaguely rooted in reality.

That

It's pathetic what the media will do to sell issues these days.

1 person likes this

If you're all a little confused as to why this is not only cruel but completely stupid, I'll let the good folks from SMBC explain:

Q5dN3bN.gif

1 person likes this

Maximum trolling from Time.

1 person likes this

To quote someone (I forget who) There's no money in the cure, the money's in the medicine.

And yes the article is bad, to say the least

That
1 person likes this

To quote someone (I forget who) There's no money in the cure, the money's in the medicine.

That doesn't make sense since the medicine is the cure.

That doesn't make sense since the medicine is the cure.

There ain't no money in the cure, the money is in the medicine. - Chris Rock

That's how you make your money: on the come back!

Essentially, if you cure a problem you can't charge people for it any more. It is why Pharma companies spend big bucks R&D heart pressure meds, cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds and not stuff like anti-biotics. A course of anti-biotics is short., perhaps a week. Those other meds might be uesd for years, indeed decades.

Essentially, if you cure a problem you can't charge people for it any more. It is why Pharma companies spend big bucks R&D heart pressure meds, cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds and not stuff like anti-biotics. A course of anti-biotics is short., perhaps a week. Those other meds might be uesd for years, indeed decades.

Ah, but the doctors will only give you a three to six month supply and then you have to come in for a checkup to see how you are doing on those meds. And usually a med will have some side effect and you have to have another med to counteract that. Everyone still wins. :)

Ah, but the doctors will only give you a three to six month supply and then you have to come in for a checkup to see how you are doing on those meds. And usually a med will have some side effect and you have to have another med to counteract that. Everyone still wins. :)

Uh, no. Chemo agents have to be given to achieve a given blood level. Give many patients too many refills and they may will skip appointments where an errant level, or other problems, would be discovered.

Uh, no. Chemo agents have to be given to achieve a given blood level. Give many patients too many refills and they may will skip appointments where an errant level, or other problems, would be discovered.

Yeah, you are right for Chemo. I had in mind other less harmful meds like for blood pressure or diabetes. My mom has semi-annual appointments for checkups. I should have posted for chemo since this topic is about cancer.

Diabetes needs regular checks too for A1C - an indicator of long term average glucose levels. Should be done about every 3 months, but I know some clinicians who prefer every 2 months.