7 posts in this topic

Posted

google_robocalls_large_verge_medium_landscape.png

The Federal Trade Commission just announced the three winners of its Robocall Challenge, a contest meant to crowdsource the solution to the robocall scourge that prompts more than 200,000 consumer complaints every month. The first-place award was split between two individuals, programmers Aaron Foss and Serdar Danis. The "technology achievement award," reserved for a submission affiliated with a large company, went to two Googlers, Daniel Klein and Dean Jackson.

"It's really up to the private sector now."

When complaining to the FTC, consumers often wondered why it wasn't possible to screen robocalls with the same effectiveness as Gmail screens spam. Klein and Jackson's solution is not unlike Google's email spam filter, which prompts users to report bogus messages. Their system allows users to instantly report originating phone numbers to an online database; on the other side, phones or external hardware automatically check the database every time a call comes in. It also includes a mechanism that blocks "spoofed" numbers, which obfuscate the true origin of the call, and weighs additional factors such as call volume, frequency, and inbound-to-outbound ratio.

Danis's first-place solution was similar to Google's. He suggested an external device (which could also be implemented as a mobile app or provider feature) that "autonomously compiles whitelisted, blacklisted and graylisted numbers databases." The system also detects whether the caller is using a spoofed number.

Foss's solution, Nomorobo, proposes to automatically hang up on robocallers. When a call comes in, Nomorobo uses conditional call forwarding

Posted

When complaining to the FTC, consumers often wondered why it wasn't possible to screen robocalls with the same effectiveness as Gmail screens spam. Klein and Jackson's solution is not unlike Google's email spam filter, which prompts users to report bogus messages. Their system allows users to instantly report originating phone numbers to an online database; on the other side, phones or external hardware automatically check the database every time a call comes in. It also includes a mechanism that blocks "spoofed" numbers, which obfuscate the true origin of the call, and weighs additional factors such as call volume, frequency, and inbound-to-outbound ratio.

I would have thought that was common sense but most phone companies wouldn't implement it because it hurts their bottom line and/or without charging for it.

Hell a lot of carriers and home phone companies still charge you for call blocking (though with most new phones you can get around that by just adding it to the phone's database).

Posted

never understood why this isn't implemented directly at the phone company, unless they lose some revenue (services that spammers use).

Posted

"please enter 71" .... I see companies that make robocalling software implementing voice recognition software like ACD systems already use, and then using it to send the DTMF code required back....or maybe I should make that system and sell it to the robocall companies.

Posted

never understood why this isn't implemented directly at the phone company, unless they lose some revenue (services that spammers use).

I'm afraid it's all about the money.

Posted

cant they spoof their caller id's?

Posted

I just put the "sit_disconnected tone" at the beginning of my voice mail message. After it calls a few times, it thinks the number is no good. :D

Funny that it's that pesky Card Services they have in the sketch.