Photo

Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:42

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Source: http://kotaku.com/th...to-st-470062456

#2 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:47

Ouch, this will be a game breaking for many people if they don't change it.

#3 pepsihabbit

pepsihabbit

Pepsihabbit

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:48

I will not own the next 360. PS4 ftw.

#4 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 04 April 2013 - 21:51

I will own the next xbox 360..

internet isn't a problem for me.. I haven't ever had my 360 NOT connected..

#5 +Lighthalzen

Lighthalzen

GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:00

Even though I will still most likely get the next XBOX, I don't like the idea of always online... It's rare that I have internet issues (Knock on Wood). That doesn't mean Microsoft's Servers won't have problem, so what happens if they screw up huh? None of us can play then...

*Flash Back EA's SimCity Launch...

#6 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:01

I will not own the next 360. PS4 ftw.

I'm with you, though it may be a PS3. I really want all of the God of Wars and Last of Us. I won't buy a system that won't play if I'm not connected to big brother, that's just me, won't do it. PS3 (maybe 4) and PC for me.

#7 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:06

It's gunna be the whole Sim City PR trouble again... I can feel it now!

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:08

The Durango Dev kits don't translate to te final units though, especially not on security measures like this. but if you can't turn it on without internet, how do you turn it on the first time then ? :)

I highly doubt this, but even if it turns out to be like this, I don't care, I'll still buy it, MS makes the best console software, and I expect the nextbox to be a lot more than just a console or just a media box. The superior software is king.

#9 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:18

I will own the next xbox 360..

internet isn't a problem for me.. I haven't ever had my 360 NOT connected..

Exactly, while I originally really disliked this news; logic kinda fits.. if you have a couple hundred $$ to buy a gaming console, you probably have the funds for some sort of connection where you live; just never try a first run of a game while the internet is down (oh, rarity, depending on ISP).

It's gunna be the whole Sim City PR trouble again... I can feel it now!

If it does 'fail' somehow, it will be MUCH larger than SimCity debacle; this is probably at the core of the OS and its features, not just one game on a system.

#10 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:28

"Unless something has changed" and "if I remember correctly" don't exactly lend truth to the claims, but in either case, I always have a connection, so...still getting it.

#11 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:36

"Unless something has changed" and "if I remember correctly" don't exactly lend truth to the claims, but in either case, I always have a connection, so...still getting it.

Unless something goes wrong on either your providers end, your financial end, or MS servers end. Or what if you travel and want to bring it along? Or how about the millions who don't have a stable connection?
I don't think MS would shoot themselves in the foot like this. I bet this will change and be totally removed. If not, I don't see their console doing so well this next round.

#12 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

Posted 04 April 2013 - 22:44

Assuming the rumour is true...

Lame. There's still a good percentage of people without consistent internet connections. That's a lot of customers to lose.
In my opinion, their reasoning for this isn't just for anti-piracy like most would like to think, but for marketing statistics.

I will never posses a console that requires online just to play.

#13 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:00

Unless something goes wrong on either your providers end, your financial end, or MS servers end. Or what if you travel and want to bring it along? Or how about the millions who don't have a stable connection?
I don't think MS would shoot themselves in the foot like this. I bet this will change and be totally removed. If not, I don't see their console doing so well this next round.

My ISP is reliable, I have a stable job in a growing market, MS servers are stable and I have no desire to take it anywhere, but most of the places I go have a network. Like I said, I don't think it's true, and I doubt they would actually do it because there's no reason to - my point was more that if they do, it's not something that would make me go to PS4.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:06

Assuming the rumour is true...

Lame. There's still a good percentage of people without consistent internet connections. That's a lot of customers to lose.
In my opinion, their reasoning for this isn't just for anti-piracy like most would like to think, but for marketing statistics.

I will never posses a console that requires online just to play.

Even if you assume the rumor is true, it only says you need Internet for first time activation, after that you can play as much as you want

This means one of two things. Either
1. It's a Durango dev kit security feature
Or
2. I was right in my earlier predictions that I have given ever since they first rumored about no used game sales. ALL the games on the next box is essentially digital downloads. When you buy a disc copy, you're merely buying stored copy of the download that you install to the console, and activate either with a printed key, disc embedded key, or a printed key with a qr code the kinect can read for easy access(embedded key seems most likey, no manual entry, just insert and go). This also makes sense that the game has to check online before it starts, basically it tags the game in ms' database that it's now active on this console. So your copy can't be used on multiple consoles at the same time. Once the check is done it doesn't care if the Internet drops.

#15 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:11

The PS4 will not require an online connection to start or run games, Sony has confirmed. No gaming console ever has.

OnLive