64 replies to this topic

#1 rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,633 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:03

Deputy's wife killed when gun goes off in hands of 4-year-old

A 4-year-old Tennessee boy picked up a loaded gun and it went off, killing the wife of a sheriff's deputy at a family cookout, state police said Monday.

Josephine Fanning, 48, and her husband, Wilson County Sheriff's Deputy Daniel Fanning, were entertaining family and friends at their Lebanon, Tenn., home Saturday evening, Tennessee state police spokeswoman Kristin Helm told the Los Angeles Times, when Daniel Fanning started showing his guns to a friend in his bedroom.
A 4-year-old boy at the cookout walked into the room with Josephine Fanning and picked up a loaded handgun from the bed and it went off, Helm said.

Officials think the shooting was an accident but are investigating in case prosecutors decide to file charges.
"It's a sad, sad set of circumstances," Wilson County Sheriff Robert Bryan told WSMV-TV. "Nobody is immune to this -- nobody. It doesn't matter if you are a law enforcement officer. These things can happen in seconds."
About 600 Americans die in accidental shootings every year, according to National Center for Injury Prevention and Control statistics, and about 31,000 Americans die of gunshot wounds each year.
source: http://www.latimes.c...,0,537977.story

#2 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,458 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:09

They had a loaded gun just sitting around :|

That's thoroughly moronic. That's not a question of gun control so much as Darwinism -_-

#3 Avi Patel

Avi Patel

Neowinian

• 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:11

guns shouldn't be out like that.
should be locked up somewhere at all times, though easily accessible to you if an invader decides to crash the party.

#4 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,097 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:13

this is very odd.

A sheriff deputy had a loaded handgun out and showing it in his bedroom at a party... which is odd by itself, then he left it on a bed, then a 4 year old was unwatched and went into the room, then he picked up the gun and shot the wife... was the wife also in the room, or did the kid run through the house?

If she was also in the room, why the hell did she not stop the kid? Why was the gun out and no safety on? How does a 4 year old have the finger strength to pull a trigger while aiming at a person?

SOOOOO many burning questions that the news reporter should have answered.

#5 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:17

They had a loaded gun just sitting around :|

That's thoroughly moronic. That's not a question of gun control so much as Darwinism -_-

probably had a life of threats to his personal safety..dunno Posted Image

#6 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,892 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:51

And this is why gun control debate in the USA is useless.
If even highly trained people, with a role model function, can't handle a gun properly, all is lost.

#7 OP rippleman

rippleman

Neowinian Senior

• 3,633 posts
  • Phone: s4

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:12

perhaps if the deputy's wife was also packing a gun, she could have protected herself better /s

#8 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,734 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:26

Death penalty?

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,340 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:21

Stewie would be proud.

#10 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,734 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:38

I shot my mother, but I didn't shoot the deputy...

#11 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,119 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:48

prudence would have told me to stow a loaded firearm in the closet on the top shelf. not that hard to do or think about.. unless you get complacent

#12 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:54

prudence would have told me to stow a loaded firearm in the closet on the top shelf. not that hard to do or think about.. unless you get complacent

It wasn't stored on the bed, try actually reading the article properly. The guns were out and on the bed as they were in the process of showing them to other people. Doesn't stop it being really REALLY stupid to put loaded guns on a bed with a toddler, especially with no safety or trigger guard, but the guns were not stored on the bed.

Right now, the kid has no idea what he did, but just imagine how he's going to feel in future years when he finds out he accidentally killed someone. :( The article wasn't clear though, was the dead woman his mom? That'd be even WORSE if so!

#13 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,940 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:57

And these people are selected to enforce gun laws?

#14 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:00

^ Accidents happen to everyone, all it takes is a few seconds lapse and BAM, someone is dead.

This sort of thing will not stop as long as American's want the freedom to own guns. And no, I'm not advocating they should give them up; that's not my decision to make.

#15 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,043 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:24

I just hope someone remembers this story next time they start to lay their gun out in the open, specially with a little child running around.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!