Photo
bloomberg news bad economy tax refund delay

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,874 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:42

Never said they were completely gone - just that they are a pale shadow of what they once were. We've still got 2 K-Marts near me but they are as I described; run down, poorly maintained, poorly staffed, and poorly stocked. They are literally depressing places to walk into and I only shop there if I find a particular bargain in their weekly advert.

Same hear. Going out of business sale every other week.

I steer clear of Walmart whenever possible. All the stores are dirty, stuff littering the isle, to crowded, to many kids that are not behaving.

Had a few KMARTS close down around where I live as well.

Walmart's her in Midwest are as clean as any other grocery store. Bathrooms probably cleaner than average. But I agree about the crowd and kids, but I feel the same way about the mall with regards to that.

#17 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:44

I steer clear of Walmart whenever possible. All the stores are dirty, stuff littering the isle, to crowded, to many kids that are not behaving.

Had a few KMARTS close down around where I live as well.

really? I always thought that was just a myth about walmart, ours they have people cleaning the place literally all day long, they mop the floors nightly and wax them weekly... clean shelves daily.... sometimes it feels like that's all they do... I've never been in a "dirty" walmart around my area

parents though, I hear more swearing from parents with little kids then I do from frat boys in that place

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:49

Walmart's her in Midwest are as clean as any other grocery store. Bathrooms probably cleaner than average. But I agree about the crowd and kids, but I feel the same way about the mall with regards to that.

Not everywhere in the Midwest...where I am living currently.

really? I always thought that was just a myth about walmart, ours they have people cleaning the place literally all day long, they mop the floors nightly and wax them weekly... clean shelves daily.... sometimes it feels like that's all they do... I've never been in a "dirty" walmart around my area

parents though, I hear more swearing from parents with little kids then I do from frat boys in that place

i must be lucky then since I have not been in a clean Walmart in a looong time.

#19 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,874 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:52

Not everywhere in the Midwest...where I am living currently.

i must be lucky then since I have not been in a clean Walmart in a looong time.

Just out of curiosity, is the rest of your town dirty? lol, j/k.

#20 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,591 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:17

Some companies really don't understand just how much of a turn-off messy/dirty stores can be.

#21 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:19

Just out of curiosity, is the rest of your town dirty? lol, j/k.

Naw, the few towns I have lived in for a extended period of time have all had dirty Walmarts. Target are perfect and Ive never had a problem there.

#22 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:31

Naw, the few towns I have lived in for a extended period of time have all had dirty Walmarts. Target are perfect and Ive never had a problem there.

Targets do have a brighter, whiter, more antiseptic look. Walmart has lots of blue, isn't quite as bright, and clearance racks become disheveled, lol. But I can't say I've been in a dirty Walmart.

#23 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:36

Targets do have a brighter, whiter, more antiseptic look. Walmart has lots of blue, isn't quite as bright, and clearance racks become disheveled, lol. But I can't say I've been in a dirty Walmart.

really? every target I've been in feels dark... Low lighting, dark red color everywhere... I think walmarts around me went crazy with lighting, it's so bright in them you could drive a lux meter nuts.... everything's white, with bright yellows and bright blues, they replaced all the old mercury vapor lighting with way more florescent lighting

#24 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:47

really? every target I've been in feels dark... Low lighting, dark red color everywhere... I think walmarts around me went crazy with lighting, it's so bright in them you could drive a lux meter nuts.... everything's white, with bright yellows and bright blues, they replaced all the old mercury vapor lighting with way more florescent lighting

Yeah, SuperTargets here are like walking into a hospital ward. The Walmart's aren't, "dark" just not antiseptic, bright, and definitely not as empty. I find Targets very boring, I'm not sure if they play elevator music or if that's just in my head whenever I go into Target.

#25 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:49

Yeah, SuperTargets here are like walking into a hospital ward. The Walmart's aren't, "dark" just not antiseptic, bright, and definitely not as empty. I find Targets very boring, I'm not sure if they play elevator music or if that's just in my head whenever I go into Target.

ah we don't have super ones around here, just normal targets that's probably why, all our walmarts though are super walmarts

#26 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:50

Walmarts here are nice enough, but Meijers are ginormous, have a ton better grocery dept. and have good prices. One near here is almost 320,000 sq ft.

#27 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:39

Walmarts here are nice enough, but Meijers are ginormous, have a ton better grocery dept. and have good prices. One near here is almost 320,000 sq ft.

Our Wal-Mart is 215,000 sq ft, I can't imagine a 320,000 sq ft store, after walmart the next biggest store that sells food which is an all grocery store (Giant Eagle of Pittsburgh) is 100,000 sq ft

#28 keuka

keuka

Neowinian

• 729 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:01

Our Wal-Mart is 215,000 sq ft, I can't imagine a 320,000 sq ft store, after walmart the next biggest store that sells food which is an all grocery store (Giant Eagle of Pittsburgh) is 100,000 sq ft

Arn't SAM's CLUBs usually larger than most Wal-Marts?

#29 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 22:26

Arn't SAM's CLUBs usually larger than most Wal-Marts?

duno, we don't have one here

Edit: just looked it up, the largest Sams Club is only 185,000 sq.. which means most of them are smaller then that, yet the largest walmart is in the USA is now 260,000 sq ft.

#30 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 23:59

Most newer Meijers are 180-260 ksqft, and they're moving into smaller markets with 96 ksqft stores as well. Being a totally family held chain they have mobility other stores don't - no stockholders second guessing innovation.

The grocery section in their big stores puts Walmart to shame, and they buy from local farmers where ever possible. If not local, they try to stay regional (Mich, Ohio, Indiana etc.) so things are very fresh. They even put up signs posting their regional & local produce suppliers.

This medium-large sized Meijers drove out the nearby Walmart
Posted Image