PlayStation 4 developers have access to 7 GB RAM: rumor

The PlayStation 4 will ship with a massive 8 GB of GDDR5 memory, which is a huge upgrade compared to the current generation consoles. However, according to a PlayStation 4 developer PS4Daily spoke to, they have access to ?only? 7 GB of RAM. The remaining 1 GB is reserved for the operating system and background tasks.

playstation-4-ram.jpg

Sony showcased a lot of PlayStation 4 features during the unveiling in February. This includes deep social features running in the background, new sharing options where players can watch each other play, and background downloading of games. All this chews up quite a bit of memory. Still, having access to 7 GB of super-fast GDDR5 memory is a lot better than the 512 MB in the PS3.

Sony originally shipped dev kits to third party developers with only 4 GB RAM, and kept the true RAM amount secret from third party developers in order to keep it secret from Microsoft as well. Developers learned about the 8 GB of memory when the rest of the world did ? during the February unveiling.

In addition to 8 GB of RAM, the PlayStation 4 sports an 8 core CPU and a GPU with 18 compute units, both part of the same APU package made by AMD. Sony worked close with developers to give them a console that?s tailored for games. Sony interviewed major game engine makers such as Epic (Unreal Engine 4), CryTek (CryEngine 3), and Id Software (Id Tech 5), asking them what they wanted out of next generation consoles. Overall, Sony worked closely with developers to create a console that made it easy to create games.

When it comes to large operating systems taking up a lot of RAM, Sony isn?t alone. Nintendo did something similar with the Wii U. The Wii U ships with 2 GB or RAM, but half of it ? 1 GB ? is allocated to the operating system itself. As console makers add more and more features, they need more and more memory to run those features. Microsoft is even rumored to include advanced DVR functionality in the upcoming Xbox 720, which will no doubt require copious amounts of RAM.

Sony is expected to reveal more PlayStation 4 details at E3 in June. We?re also hearing that this is when some of the NDAs will be lifted, where developers will be more free to talk about the specifics of the new console.

Source: http://ps4daily.com/2013/04/playstation-4-developers-7-gb-ram/

I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a Playstation 4. Huge fan of the PS3 since I bought it to replace my XBox 360 several years ago, it's lasted longer than both of the XBox 360s I had combined, and from what I've hard and seen so far, the Playstation 4 is going to be a very worthy upgrade. 7 GB of RAM should be plenty of RAM for several years to come.

What I'd like to see is modular consoles. Remember the old Nintendo 64 where you could buy an "expansion pack" and expand the available RAM? Certain games wouldn't run without it, like Donkey Kong 64. Perfect Dark couldn't run single player without one. What if these new consoles had some similar feature where we could expand the RAM to accommodate newer games, and extend the life of the console? Not only would it extend the life of a console, but it would be a secondary source of revenue for Sony. "Want to play this awesome new game, Battlefield 6? Well its maps are so huge you need to install the PS4 memory unit so the console has enough RAM for the map to fit in."

I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a Playstation 4. Huge fan of the PS3 since I bought it to replace my XBox 360 several years ago, it's lasted longer than both of the XBox 360s I had combined, and from what I've hard and seen so far, the Playstation 4 is going to be a very worthy upgrade. 7 GB of RAM should be plenty of RAM for several years to come.

What I'd like to see is modular consoles. Remember the old Nintendo 64 where you could buy an "expansion pack" and expand the available RAM? Certain games wouldn't run without it, like Donkey Kong 64. Perfect Dark couldn't run single player without one. What if these new consoles had some similar feature where we could expand the RAM to accommodate newer games, and extend the life of the console? Not only would it extend the life of a console, but it would be a secondary source of revenue for Sony. "Want to play this awesome new game, Battlefield 6? Well its maps are so huge you need to install the PS4 memory unit so the console has enough RAM for the map to fit in."

Sony tried the expansion route with the PS2, remember that giant expansion bay, for internet, harddisks and other gimmicks? :)

Awesome stuff. That's a sixteen fold increase in memory compared to PS3

And still half as much as it should be if we followed Murphy's law :p

Only kidding of course, good to see the vast increase in power that'll be coming to us later this year :D

I think people should just wait until Microsoft fully release the details of their system.

Right now this is all we've got to run with , so we're talking about it.

When MS finally says something we'll talk about that too. They've been disturbingly quiet lately.

And still half as much as it should be if we followed Murphy's law :p

Only kidding of course, good to see the vast increase in power that'll be coming to us later this year :D

Murphy's law?

Think you mean Moore's law.

From memory the original PlayStation had 2MB of "RAM" so if you use it as the "starting point" a PS4 released in 2014 should have 2GB.

Murphy's law?

Think you mean Moore's law.

From memory the original PlayStation had 2MB of "RAM" so if you use it as the "starting point" a PS4 released in 2014 should have 2GB.

And to be honest allot of us wouldn't be surprised to see two or four this gen. I'm kinda surprised by eight but it makes more sense when you think of streaming and such being included.

I'm seriously considering pre-ordering a Playstation 4. Huge fan of the PS3 since I bought it to replace my XBox 360 several years ago, it's lasted longer than both of the XBox 360s I had combined

I have had to get 4 XBox's this generation because 3 crapped out on me. All 3 had RR'sOD.

I have had my fat PS3 since I got it about 8 months into launch, and I also have a Slim that has shown no signs of anything.

This is no doubt one of reasons I am so critical of the 360, and why I eventually leaned towards the PS3 myself.

I think people should just wait until Microsoft fully release the details of their system.

I get why people say this, I totally do, and I will probably wind up picking up both next consoles regardless, however even without MS announcing their specs, I can say I am heavily leaning towards the PS4 as my main console next generation as well.

I do have what I believe to be valid reasons for stating this as fact as well.

Basically unless MS truly has some revolutionary aspect to their console that does not involve Kinect, I just do not see them swaying my decision. I know it is very premature to say this, but let's face it, rumors exist for a reason. And while not always correct, they always do have some truth to them. As such, because I just need a console to play games and stream some media, I know where my best interests lie. And this obviously just works for myself. I am an older gamer. I barely have time to play anything these days. When I do, I am a traditionalist at heart. I do not need a game to read my body movements. I do not need it to detect my voice. I just need it to be fun with a controller and/or keyboard and mouse.

Perhaps I am going to be a dying breed. I recognize this fact wholeheartedly. It does however appear I am safe for at least the immediate future.

I have had to get 4 XBox's this generation because 3 crapped out on me. All 3 had RR'sOD.

I have had my fat PS3 since I got it about 8 months into launch, and I also have a Slim that has shown no signs of anything.

This is no doubt one of reasons I am so critical of the 360, and why I eventually leaned towards the PS3 myself.

I would hope MS knows that having that bad a design would be a death wish this go. People already don't trust them over it, doing it again would just get mass abandonment.

I'm willing to give em another shot. After that...we'll see.

I would hope MS knows that having that bad a design would be a death wish this go. People already don't trust them over it, doing it again would just get mass abandonment.

I'm willing to give em another shot. After that...we'll see.

Yeah I have not even considered it to be an option this time around, they absolutely cannot release another clearly rushed out product.

Granted when it comes to technology things are a bit different, especially when you are an early adopter, however the issues were all hardware related. I see no reason not to reasonably expect components to be defect free. As such, I am not as willing to easily give a second chance.

Also I have to say overall that it pretty much goes against my ethos to give second chances to any company that develops the products I am a consumer of.

Cars. TVs. ISP's. Appliances. Utilities. You name it. Anything that provides me some kind of luxury or purpose, I prefer it works as it should the first time around. As I said, I will probably wind up picking up the next Box regardless, however it is with great trepidation that I do so, strictly on principal alone.

Not only did their components not keep up, I also think they did a pretty poor job with how they handled the whole larger drive aspect of the 360 as well. It should have been a larger size from the get go. I feel they never fully acknowledges this oversight, and on-top of that charged an exorbitant amount of money for their proprietary solution. Again just from a consumer perspective, I feel this was slightly dishonorable way of conducting ones business. However I feel they could and in-fact did get away with it because of the amount of praise the console itself did garner from the gaming community. Something I never quite got because of these two issues I had with the build itself. There is no denying the software and games were fantastic. The hardware, well not so much. I do feel one needs the other.

Also I have to say overall that it pretty much goes against my ethos to give second chances to any company that develops the products I am a consumer of.

Well it was their first custom hardware build, hardware has gotten a lot better from every manufacturer and the stuff they did with the CPU+GPU on the same die isn't rare anymore.

Plus there're the exclusives. I didn't buy a PS3 and sold off my 360 but I have no intention of sticking with a single manufacturer this time.

Why would you want to have to pay to upgrade a system you just bought to play the cool new games that just came out? Wouldn't it be better to have it maxed out when you bought so you can run ALL the games when they come out? Hell Skyrim at ultra with ENB only uses 4GB of ram... 7GB is a HUGE amount and will be plenty until Playstation 5 comes out... I don't understand the whole "pay more to do more" ideology, I'm more of an "pay once and do it all" kind of a guy... go figure...

Why would you want to have to pay to upgrade a system you just bought to play the cool new games that just came out? Wouldn't it be better to have it maxed out when you bought so you can run ALL the games when they come out? Hell Skyrim at ultra with ENB only uses 4GB of ram... 7GB is a HUGE amount and will be plenty until Playstation 5 comes out... I don't understand the whole "pay more to do more" ideology, I'm more of an "pay once and do it all" kind of a guy... go figure...

It depends. I would prefer an upgradable machine if they're going to be dragging it out for seven years again (which I don't expect to happen, but we'll see.)

Moore's law as far as I know also only applies to CPU's and to the amount of transistors in it, not actual power.

The standard definition yes. But it's applied to all sorts of things related to technology including memory, hard disk sizes, pixels on cameras etc.

It basically corresponds to exponential growth.

well i could imagine tho if the PS4 only had 4gb of ram then it more then likely leave developers only 3gb of ram usage he he so good thing it now has 8gbs of it

What I'd like to see is modular consoles. Remember the old Nintendo 64 where you could ...

well, before N64 there was modular 'consoles', it called MSX.

some argue that MSX are better classified as computer and not as a game console,

but then again Nintendo also use 'computer' moniker to their non-USA NES console.

No game in this current generation uses anywhere near 7GB of RAM on a PC. Games - whether it be PS, PC or XBox are lucky to use 4GB of RAM - try it, load up a current release game and watch how far your RAM gets used. Its every safe to say that the PS4 and XBOX 720 won't be seeing many games use all that free memory, even late in their '10 year life spans'.

But either way, I, like most people here are leaning towards the PS4.

That's because nearly all PC games are still 32bit for some reason, and even the 64bit ones strive to keep memory consumption under a certain point. I've had Minecraft use 7GB of RAM on my system by forcing it to keep more map data in memory.

With the way map data/texture quality/audio/etc. is going I can see 7GB be very constraining at the end of the console life span.

That's because nearly all PC games are still 32bit for some reason, and even the 64bit ones strive to keep memory consumption under a certain point. I've had Minecraft use 7GB of RAM on my system by forcing it to keep more map data in memory.

It should finally change by 2015. At least some online games have 64 bit clients (WoW and Warframe) and there is still the theory that EA will release a 64 bit only game this year.

Even Stardock was talking about releasing some 64 bit only stuff but I don't see any reason to believe they're going through with it.

We shall see.

No game in this current generation uses anywhere near 7GB of RAM on a PC. Games - whether it be PS, PC or XBox are lucky to use 4GB of RAM - try it, load up a current release game and watch how far your RAM gets used. Its every safe to say that the PS4 and XBOX 720 won't be seeing many games use all that free memory, even late in their '10 year life spans'.

But either way, I, like most people here are leaning towards the PS4.

It's not just system ram though, its VRAM as well.