9 posts in this topic

Posted

[color=#333333][font=Georgia][size=3]The Wii U is out so that means Nintendo is starting to phase out the original Wii. Starting in late June, several of the Wii's online services will be discontinued, so say goodbye to the Wii's News channel and Everybody Votes. We also hope you're not getting your weather reports off your console.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Georgia][size=3]Nintendo released the following statement:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Georgia][size=3]We at Nintendo sincerely thank you for your continued patronage of our company

Posted

That's quite a quick death for these systems!? The Wii is still being sold brand new in stores and now with defunct systems. Surely a year or so would make more sense. Damn Nintendo!
2 people like this

Posted

I wonder if they are going to push an update that will remove those channels from the console.
1 person likes this

Posted

Taking a page right out of EA's playbook. Not a good move.
1 person likes this

Posted

Do people even use any of those services though?

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1365775636' post='595632970']
[/quote]

I used the news and weather channels occasionally but it's quicker to turn on the TV or just use a web site. The rest were pretty meh to me.

Posted

[quote name='compl3x' timestamp='1365775636' post='595632970']
[/quote]

Can't say I have ever used any of those services. I'm sure there are some but I would imagine that the majority of people that would use services like those do so on the 360/PS. Wii has never been considered a hardcore gaming system as far as i'm aware.

Unfortunately a lot of the moves that Nintendo have made has lost me as a customer. I won't be buying a Wii U to replace my Wii. The price point of the Wii U doesn't seem rational to me considering the limited value you get over the Wii. I would rather pay just a little more for an Xbox or PS if I'm going to be spending $300 on a Wii U. Wii U just isn't competitive when you look at the price/features in my opinion.

Posted

No big loss since those apps aren't really anything that many people use.

Posted

I'm guessing the current usage for those services are stupidly low right now.

I'll bet that 90% (if not more) wont notice any difference, and those that do can probably use it as an excuse to get their parents to get a Wii U to keep them quiet over the summer holidays. (nice timing by Nintendo there)