amd vishera centurion rumor

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 18:48

So how about this as a rumour for a Friday morning? Though AMD will never go on record and confirm this, we have it on good authority that the chip-maker will soon be releasing a super-FX chip. Based on the same 'Vishera' architecture powering the current FX-8350, which runs at up to 4.2GHz, this new FX, codenamed 'Centurion', is to be made available in very limited quantities.

This so-called Centurion is guaranteed to run at 5GHz, on air, though we don't know exactly what voltage or supporting hardware will be required for this lofty speed.

Here's the kicker; our sources indicate that this limited-edition chip is set to cost a whopping $795 - this is not a typo!

Source (hexus.net)

Commentary:

Yes, a processor of probably 150W+ TDP (because of raised vcore) when LGA 2011 Ivy Bridge-E desktop 6-cores are just around the corner is just what AMD must focus on. That said, they must have finally found out that some spare monies is a very useful thing to have, especially at their present, rather sad, financial state (net income in 2012 being loss of USD 1.183 billion). While, on the other hand, Intel probably has been building several olympic class swimming pools to house the stuff formerly sitting in our wallets.

While it would come with a closed loop watercooler rather than air thing (or perhaps taking a cue from Intel - no thermal solution at all) instead of the infamous "jetliner" that has been prevalent in their top series thus far, I don't think I could justify such a purchase. Then again, I'm, admiteddly, an Intel fanboi, so don't mind me at all on that. To be fair, it would find a lot of support among any kind of enthusiants that are now struggling to OC their FX-8350 to a nice round number by hand.

Thoughts?

#2 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 18:50

my my how the tables have turned, AMD is turning into Intel's P4 days, we shall call this, AMD X10P4

#3 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 18:57

It smacks to me of the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme days as well. High clock speed to grab headlines.

#4 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 18:59

It smacks to me of the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme days as well. High clock speed to grab headlines.

Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe"

#5 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,597 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:00

Why not? PD Arch ain't that bad anymore (when compared to BD) and a stock 5 would give it a lot of juice if you really need a multi-core setup. It's just free publicity for AMD. They need it.

"Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe""

Stick to the Random pictures thread and don't talk about things you clearly don't understand next time :)

#6 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:02

Why not? PD Arch ain't that bad anymore (when compared to BD) and a stock 5 would give it a lot of juice if you really need a multi-core setup. It's just free publicity for AMD. They need it.

No, they need to get their ass in gear. Intel pretty much wipes the floor with anything they have to offer, yeah yeah amd is "cheaper" yeah... 125w TDP for most of their processors against intels 75... add that to your electricity bill and then we can talk cheap.

#7 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,736 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:04

They need to grab headlines, AMD isn't in the best position and adding more cores isn't helping when the majority of software isn't taking advantage of them. Going with higher clocks is something that consumers still understand well.

#8 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,992 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:06

Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe"

Did you miss the part where the article explicitly said "made available in very limited quantities."?

This clearly isn't intended to be a serious product, it's a PR stunt. Most likely a stop-gap until Steamroller-based FX chips are ready.

#9 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,597 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:08

No, they need to get their ass in gear. Intel pretty much wipes the floor with anything they have to offer, yeah yeah amd is "cheaper" yeah... 125w TDP for most of their processors against intels 75... add that to your electricity bill and then we can talk cheap.

Haha. Thanks for proving my point. Stick to the pictures thread.

First off, get into gear? Yeah, AMD's total net worth is as big as Intel puts into R&D each quarter, that will be easy, nah why not bankrupt AMD in one quarter.

Secondly.

http://www.phoronix....erabdver2&num=3

Wiping the floor? Uhm how about no? Multi-threaded programs are taking the use of the PD modular arch for a long time now and even the 3770k has problems keeping up, single threaded, sure that's purely Intel's playground.

I love when people talk out their ass.

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:08

"Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe""

Stick to the Random pictures thread and don't talk about things you clearly don't understand next time :)

Because it's a false economy. It's the same as putting 16 megapixel cameras out with crappy image censors, people are being fooled into thinking they're getting something better than they are actually getting. I was against it back then when Intel did it and I am still against it now. This CPU is going to consume a buttload of power and I imagine it will still struggle to compete with the i7s.

#11 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,597 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:09

Arguing with Blues is like running head first into a wall..I'm too drunk for this ****. :/

#12 bikeman25

bikeman25

Neowinian

• 303 posts
  • Phone: Windows 8 Phone--Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:10

Been an AMD Fan since 2003 here, Currently happy with my AMD APU Vision A6 system, does all my tasks really well, Gaming, video encoding (not so much doing that anymore though) DVD burning, music streaming and gaming. Haven't used an Intel based system since December 2002.

Perhaps in the future i'll check out a newer Intel system, but I don't know yet.

#13 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,462 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:13

Haha. Thanks for proving my point. Stick to the pictures thread.

First off, get into gear? Yeah, AMD's total net worth is as big as Intel puts into R&D each quarter, that will be easy, nah why not bankrupt AMD in one quarter.

Secondly.

http://www.phoronix....erabdver2&num=3

Wiping the floor? Uhm how about no? Multi-threaded programs are taking the use of the PD modular arch for a long time now and even the 3770k has problems keeping up, single threaded, sure that's purely Intel's playground.

I love when people talk out their ass.

I'm not talking out of my ass, i'm talking design wise, IMO 125w is unacceptable these days, it's just too much, that's what my 7 year old q6600 uses.

You and me, we've had this discussion on the linux benchmarks before ;)

Arguing with Blues is like running head first into a wall..I'm too drunk for this ****. :/

I'm green dude, I would love AMD to kick ass :( like in the thoroughbred days :(, but its just no happening for another 2-3 years because of AMDs RnD budget as you pointed out.

#14 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:14

wow alot of fanboys posting today.

#15 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,597 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:14