Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:16

wow alot of fanboys posting today.

Yeah cause having a normal discussion is what fanbois do.... :laugh:

#17 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,918 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:18

The fanboys are on the AMD side, they've taken a habit of getting ****y about it when people advocate the use of Intel processors for some reason. I used to be in the same corner myself, back in the days when Pentium 4s were crap and Athlon 64s were not I argued the other way around. Reality is what it is and if people choose to get angry about it, that's their problem.

#18 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:19

Damn, if it wasn't for the price tag I would of got one.

When are we gonna start to see DDR4 supported chips :/ - that's what I'm holding out upgrading for.

#19 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:21

The fanboys are on the AMD side, they've taken a habit of getting ****y about it when people advocate the use of Intel processors for some reason. I used to be in the same corner myself, back in the days when Pentium 4s were crap and Athlon 64s were not I argued the other way around. Reality is what it is and if people choose to get angry about it, that's their problem.

Yeah you do have a point, I try to hand around and listen to both sides, i've switched from AMD k6, k7 to intel p4, c2d and finally q6600, my future upgrade might be an intel "K" version, my point is, there is no absolute king.

#20 OP +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:22

And who do we thank for that? :)

Me, please, I'm the original fanboi here :)
I'm getting some kicks out of it. But at the same time, inspired from a recent thread of one remixed cat, afraid that I might ask for all parties involved to keep it a bit more civil before I get my very rare BPN thread closed :(

#21 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:24

Damn, if it wasn't for the price tag I would of got one.

When are we gonna start to see DDR4 supported chips :/ - that's what I'm holding out upgrading for.

DDR4 supported CPUs for the public won't be around until the end of 2014 or maybe 2015. Since they cost way to much for anyone to use.

#22 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:25

Me, please, I'm the original fanboi here :)
I'm getting some kicks out of it. But at the same time, inspired from a recent thread of one remixed cat, afraid that I might ask for all parties involved to keep it a bit more civil before I get my very rare BPN thread closed :(

I was referring to AMD's R&D budget ;)

#23 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,061 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 1020 8.1

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:28

Just when people count out AMD, they seem to come back with something good.

#24 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:32

DDR4 supported CPUs for the public won't be around until the end of 2014 or maybe 2015. Since they cost way to much for anyone to use.

http://www.fudzilla....e-supports-ddr4

Even before Ivy Bridge-E hits the market, Intel is busy working on a successor to this ultra high end processor simply codenamed Haswell E. Ivy Bridge-E is on schedule to launch in Q3 2013, using the same LGA 2011 socket, existing X79 chipset as well as four channel DDR3 1866 support.

Just when people count out AMD, they seem to come back with something good.

:laugh:

#25 OP +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:41

I was referring to AMD's R&D budget ;)

I think what they've managed to get done with the comparatively little amount they have is very commendable. I blame all the rest of the world (of software architects) that most office and consumer space programs won't take advantage of (any kind - Intel, AMD, ARM-OEMs) multi-core setups easily, nor do they show any particular inclination of doing so any time soon. Blaming developers won't solve anything, though, so... mustshifttheblametoamdyesyesyes

There are days when I rant my face off because of (but, fortunately for myself, not at) people who "dare to bring their stupid broken AMD systems" (or stupid broken Radeons) for service. Fanboism coupled with suddenly having a pile of work leads to that easily.

As a side note, I've had to exchange two borked AMD FX processors (one Dozer, one PD, both failing PRIME95 in seconds) in the little time I've been in this line of work, while Intel sells five times more and has had none. Any sensible explanation to that? Other than isolated cases, I mean? Because it adds immense amount of fuel to fan-raging, otherwise.

#26 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:44

off topic question.

Intel supposedly "cherry picks" it's k processors, does anyone have a clue if AMD does this as well for their high end ?

#27 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:45

off topic question.

Intel supposedly "cherry picks" it's k processors, does anyone have a clue if AMD does this as well for their high end ?

They do.

Not in a similar style Intel does it but they do pick 83xx and 81xx CPU's.

I've also seen 8170 benchmarks out there but never saw that CPU on the market. I wonder if it was an early 8350 build or just a very very limited CPU.

#28 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,317 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:46

They do.

what line/model ?

#29 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:48

The FX is coming from Opteron series or at least the higher end ones are as far as I'm told.

#30 OP +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 19:49

what line/model ?

Where do you think they had got these Centurions (assuming they're a real deal)? :laugh: