Photo

So I'm getting ready to upgrade.. Any thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

• Phone: HTC One

Posted 24 April 2013 - 00:39

So I brought my Canon T1i with (18-55) a long time ago now, along with a Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II. I'm in the Digital Video Production program, and my program is moving onto DSLRs instead of videocameras. I tried using the T1i for video, it's good.. but it's still shooting at 720p and it's pretty much done for that era. I need a new DSLR.

Remember, I'm a film student and money is always and will be a factor. So what I am thinking of getting is the a decent lens and the 5D MKII, or spending 4k on a 5D MKIII with the Kit lens. What do you guys think? Of course, spending less is the best, but I want something to last me quite a while, so I can do photo and video for clients. Any other suggestions would also be good.

Thanks guys.

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:51

From my very little experience, taking photographer ability out of the picture I would say its the piece of glass on the end of the camera that makes the difference. I honestly believe that a good photographer will be able to produce the same picture regardless of camera however lens would play a bigger part in the IQ (all be it still small).

I guess the question is - will the kits lens actually be able to do what you want?

#3 crazzy88ss

crazzy88ss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 April 2013 - 16:46

5D MKII and spend the difference from the MKIII on decent lenses. Kit lenses are usually crap in the long run.

#4 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:19

But isn't the MK3 better for video? It's a body I can use for a long time and as for lenses, I know the old 18-55 won't work but the Kit Lens that comes with the 5D MK3 should suffice for now. Plus I can rent/borrow out various lenses from the school next year.

#5 Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:29

They filmed either the Season 6 or 7 finale of House with a Canon 5D Mark II. I'd say it's more than adequate for video. Set up a deal alert on slickdeals for the body. Refurbished ones have been appearing for relatively cheap recently.

#6 o0moonman0o

o0moonman0o

Neowinian

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:13

stretch the budget and get a 5dm3 (body only) then get some old nikon AI/AIS lens for the manual aperture and price/performance ratio.

#7 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:48

stretch the budget and get a 5dm3 (body only) then get some old nikon AI/AIS lens for the manual aperture and price/performance ratio.

Yeah.. I can't stretch the budget. It's already stretched. Is the MK3 that much better than the MK2? The MK2 now is pretty old, I know some people still use it, but however.. the MK3 is there for a reason right? I don't want to purchase the Mk2 when it is being discontinued from the line.

What kind of lens is good for just a standard lens? I know the 18-55mm won't work right?

#8 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 24 April 2013 - 23:39

haven't considered the 6d?
The kit lens isn't that bad at all (For both nikon and canon) But you will always be limited to apertures >3

#9 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 25 April 2013 - 00:14

haven't considered the 6d?
The kit lens isn't that bad at all (For both nikon and canon) But you will always be limited to apertures >3

How is the 6D compared to the Mk3? Remember, even though it's for video, I want to also shoot photos as well.

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 25 April 2013 - 00:54

http://www.dxomark.c...side/(appareil1)/836%7C0/(brand)/Canon/(appareil2)/795%7C0/(brand2)/Canon

it's basically an mkiii sensor in a "cheaper" body * (stil weather sealed) and $1500 cheaper in MSRP.

video of the 6d, same as mk:

Maximum format image video 1920 x 1080 / 30 fps
anyway, check out the specs and links and see for yourself!

#11 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:25

I dunno, this review says the video is pretty bad on the 6D.
http://gizmodo.com/5...ull frame-video

#12 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:59

So any other suggestions? Right now I"m really leaning towards the MK3.

#13 o0moonman0o

o0moonman0o

Neowinian

Posted 25 April 2013 - 21:46

get the mark 3 then pick up like a 28 ais, 50 ais, 105 ais for like under 500 all together.

#14 OP Razorwing

Razorwing

Who You Gonna Call?

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:55

get the mark 3 then pick up like a 28 ais, 50 ais, 105 ais for like under 500 all together.

I kinda want just one lens for now.. something I can use in all situations.. which one would that be? If I don't want to spend $500 if I don't have to. Plus, it's just a primary lens just to do daily shooting. Next year I can always rent out lens from the school.

#15 crazzy88ss

crazzy88ss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 23:10

It sounds like you're trying to get a 1-size-fits-all situation due to money constraints; you'll outgrow what ever zoom lens you buy pretty quick on a 5D.