• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:25

We moved into a shared house (via. letting agents) and can not gain access to the wireless router (locked room).

The ISP is TalkTalk (UK) (discovered by using the IP).

We can access the Belkin router via. 192.168.2.1 and it's running the latest firmware (dated July 2008).

Our connection to the Internet is often fine but once a week or so, it is awful and struggles for hours (it's hard to even load a webpage without it showing "page can not be displayed").

Even loading each page on the router config website is slow (2+ minute page load times) or pages time out (80% of the time). This, to me, suggests something serious is occurring since grabbing pages from the router should load almost instantly I guess.

Any ideas?

#2 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:34

Is the WAP secured? Sound like you have some people hammering the crap out of it..Is talktalk DSL or cable? Also, is it the same time the slow down? You could have some workstations/servers uploading or backing up data the same time. Or it could be downloading new updates.

#3 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:36

Is the WAP secured? Sound like you have some people hammering the crap out of it..

The "DHCP Client List" page only shows my PC, my partners laptop and my Android tablet. However, the DHCP Server" section on the router's home page shows "Enabled (0 LAN, 4 WLAN Clients".

The "Security" is set to "WPA-Personal (PSK).

#4 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:42

Does anyone have any kind of backup software on their computer? Also, is this happening the same time every week? There are some line monitoring tools you can use to see the patterns and maybe even the source.. Maybe budman of sc302 will see your thread and help with that.. Meanwhile, I will see if I can find it

#5 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:44

Does anyone have any kind of backup software on their computer? Also, is this happening the same time every week? There are some line monitoring tools you can use to see the patterns and maybe even the source.. Maybe budman of sc302 will see your thread and help with that.. Meanwhile, I will see if I can find it

There is absolutely no pattern and it's definitely not an issue with my PC, her laptop or my tablet :( This problem only began to occur since coming here. I believe the router was made in 2007, which seems very old to me.

Here is some more information from the router's home page:

eb_bkin-router-homesnippet1.png

#6 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:49

The router is definitely old.. Maybe you could see if they could upgrade it? The problem could have been before you came and no one noticed it..

#7 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 22:51

The router is definitely old.. Maybe you could see if they could upgrade it? The problem could have been before you came and no one noticed it..

I'll call them tomorrow, see if they can talk to the ISP.

#8 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 23:35

Are you all wireless? ie you say even the router web ui is slow and takes forever to load. Are you wired or wireless when you try and access the web ui. Try it wired. Is it still slow?

#9 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 23:36

Are you all wireless? ie you say even the router web ui is slow and takes forever to load. Are you wired or wireless when you try and access the web ui. Try it wired. Is it still slow?

Wireless. As I said, we can't access the room the router is in, so we can't connect to it physically.

#10 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 24 April 2013 - 23:53

Maybe more info.:

eb_routerissue5.png

#11 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 25 April 2013 - 00:07

Try an alternative channel? Also, check for dropped packets on wireless in the admin panel? I'm not 100% sure, just throwing it out there!

Also, it says Wireless mode is 102.11N, however the connection speed is only 52Mbps. Shouldn't it be 150Mbps or even 300Mbps?

#12 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 00:08

Try an alternative channel? Also, check for dropped packets on wireless in the admin panel? I'm not 100% sure, just throwing it out there!

Also, it says Wireless mode is 102.11N, however the connection speed is only 52Mbps. Shouldn't it be 150Mbps or even 300Mbps?

That 52Mbps reading seems to change every 2-3 seconds, between around 40Mbps and 115Mbps.

#13 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:15

Why does the router being in a locked room have to do with being able to be wired too it?

So this is not your router? Who's router is it, who provides the internet - you pay rent, and internet is included in this cost? Tell the landlords to FIX it then.. Not sure why you would be expected to do anything if not your router (you don't have access)?

Only thing I could suggest if when the connection is bad and you have access to the gui, is can you reboot it from the gui? If so - try that.

#14 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:40

Why does the router being in a locked room have to do with being able to be wired too it?

So this is not your router? Who's router is it, who provides the internet - you pay rent, and internet is included in this cost? Tell the landlords to FIX it then.. Not sure why you would be expected to do anything if not your router (you don't have access)?

Only thing I could suggest if when the connection is bad and you have access to the gui, is can you reboot it from the gui? If so - try that.

Since the router is in a locked room, we can't connect an Ethernet cable to it.

It's the ISP's router, and the letting agents include the Wi-Fi as part of our rent. Unfortunately, as with most landlords, they don't care about fixing it quickly and/or easily since it's just hassle to them.

Rebooting via. the GUI is a good idea :) There has been two times in the past month we've lived here that we can't even access the GUI due to the slow speeds and timeouts, so we resorted to flipping the breaker that controls the downstairs electricity. Worked a treat :p

#15 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:49

Again just because its in a locked room does not mean there are no wired ports around the house, etc. Stating its in a locked room, does not mean your not wired too it is all I am trying to say. When I asked if your wired or not, stating you don't have access to the router does not rule out a wired connection.

So your saying flipping the breaker solved the slowness issue? There you go then, you have your work around. Have your landlord contact the isp to fix the problem.. Not sure what help you expect? Its not your router, your not the name on the contract with the ISP, etc. There is really not much you can do than to complain to your landlord or move ;)

You can not even switch between wired and wireless to see if just wireless problem, etc. So not many options here for helping you - sorry.