Accessing wireless router config site very slow

12 hours ago, redPill said:

since i moved to my new apartment

How many other wifi networks are you seeing in the area? Apartment complexes can be horrible with all the other wifi networks in the area - almost impossible to find a channel that is not getting stepped on by 3 other wifi routers, etc.

When you say you changed the channels, freq.. Did you scan the area for what was in use and pick band (2.4 and 5) with channels that least used?  In a dense wifi environment you prob has best luck with 5ghz band.. If your router supports you could even use say dfs channels - that pretty much nobody else would be using... But you really need to understand the RF environment to best choose what to use.

When you say you got a new router - what make and model did you get exactly?  As SC302 correctly stated, many of these soho devices are just utter crap ;)  Quite often you can get around their nonsense of native firmware by using 3rd party firmware (make sure you get a router that supports 3rd party) so you always have that as an option.

Also the unifi AP mention are going to be heads above any soho crap you pick up..

For getting info about your local wifi networks channels, strengths, etc you could use something like

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2013 at 6:53 AM, djdanster said:

Ah, I've had a similar issue is the past, for me it was when the router was under so much stress on it's little CPU (for what ever reason) and it (in my case) was getting too hot to function. Flicking the switch gave it the opportunity to cool down!

Since the router is old, it likely does need upgrading.  Further, if the router belongs to the ISP, it is their responsibility (the same applies if the ISP were Vodaphone or Three). BudMan, the very reason WHY these devices are "utter crap" (your words) is that they are underpowered for what they are being asked to do - have you not run into cases where a business makes a similar (if not identical) goof?  (True story - for some reason, a script was written for a VPN connection that ONLY works when connected to a specific port on a router (port 4).  It can be any router, made by any company, and of any speed - however, it ONLY works properly if the connection is via port 4.  Why would a VPN connection get that nitpicky?  I can see requiring a specfic speed (gigabit); but a specific port (but NOT a specific speed)?  Gigabit routers, fortunately, are commonplace in the home space - and have been for over a decade - there is zero reason to overpay for THAT capability.  What the ISP has to ask itself is what are the needs of the target users (it's no different than what a home user has to do in the same situation).  This is something I run into when designing home networks - and it gets harder and harder; the biggest issue is, in fact, wireless devices - not wired devices; in fact, there still remains a resistance to wiring an existing home for networking.  Therefore, wireless routers - in the residential space - are being asked to do more.  How many folks realize that "prosumer" routers can tune THEMSELVES to avoid conflicts with other routers in an area - and have been able to do so for years?  The "fail" point (for the owner/LAN administrator) is not rechecking the regional map as the neighborhood changes (kids get older, etc.).  If you have teenagers in the area, you will certainly need to re-check the regional map on a monthly basis at minimum - if not on a weekly basis - as devices move in and out.  (Still, that is something the router can do - if you permit it.)