UFC 159: Sonnen vs Jones

Main Card

Jon Jones (205) vs. Chael Sonnen (205)

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Alan Belcher (185)

Roy Nelson (258) vs. Cheick Kongo (237)

Phil Davis (205) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (205.5)

Jim Miller (155) vs. Pat Healy (155.5)

Preliminary Card

Rustam Khabilov (156*) vs. Yancy Medeiros (155.5)

Gian Villante (206) vs. Ovince St. Preux (206)

Sara McMann (134) vs. Sheila Gaff (133)

Bryan Caraway (136) vs. Johnny Bedford (136)

Leonard Garcia (145) vs. Cody McKenzie (145)

Nick Catone (173**) vs. James Head (170.25)

Steven Siler (145.25) vs. Kurt Holobaugh (145)

Everyone made weight except for Nick Catone. The co-main is miles more interesting than the Main Event.

Main Card Predictions

Jon Jones (205) vs. Chael Sonnen (205) - Okay, this is incredibly wishful thinking. I know Jon Jones outclasses Sonnen in many ways. Sonnen is my guy, though and I refuse to vote against him. :p Even though the odds are against him, I think he can take Jones down and submit him or knock him out. I think Sonnen only has a chance in the first two rounds. If he cannot end it then, I cannot imagine him winning. He is too big with bulky muscles and Jones' cardio will be superior.

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Alan Belcher (185) - I think Bisping is too well-rounded. He is going to come forward and Belcher will get overwhelmed in the second or third round.

Roy Nelson (258) vs. Cheick Kongo (237) - Roy has probably the most incredible chin in MMA today. Watching Cheick's last two fights I noticed how much slower he got. If he can use the reach advantage to his favor, he has a chance. I predict Roy will knock him out though at some point.

Phil Davis (205) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (205.5) - Magalhaes is in Sonnen's camp, but I am going to go with Phil for this fight. Watch for this to be fight of the night. Yes, even over Bisping vs. Belcher.

Jim Miller (155) vs. Pat Healy (155.5) - I expect this fight to go the distance. I think Jim will squeeze out more points and win by decision. Big fight for Healy, so expect him to go all out.

Main Card Predictions

Jon Jones (205) vs. Chael Sonnen (205) - Okay, this is incredibly wishful thinking. I know Jon Jones outclasses Sonnen in many ways. Sonnen is my guy, though and I refuse to vote against him. :p Even though the odds are against him, I think he can take Jones down and submit him or knock him out. I think Sonnen only has a chance in the first two rounds. If he cannot end it then, I cannot imagine him winning. He is too big with bulky muscles and Jones' cardio will be superior.

Michael Bisping (186) vs. Alan Belcher (185) - I think Bisping is too well-rounded. He is going to come forward and Belcher will get overwhelmed in the second or third round.

Roy Nelson (258) vs. Cheick Kongo (237) - Roy has probably the most incredible chin in MMA today. Watching Cheick's last two fights I noticed how much slower he got. If he can use the reach advantage to his favor, he has a chance. I predict Roy will knock him out though at some point.

Phil Davis (205) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (205.5) - Magalhaes is in Sonnen's camp, but I am going to go with Phil for this fight. Watch for this to be fight of the night. Yes, even over Bisping vs. Belcher.

Jim Miller (155) vs. Pat Healy (155.5) - I expect this fight to go the distance. I think Jim will squeeze out more points and win by decision. Big fight for Healy, so expect him to go all out.

Sonnen over Jones? U mad? :rofl:

Also, Phil Davis is going to smother Magalh?es. FOTN is the Jim Miler fight or Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff. WMMA always brings it.

Sonnen over Jones? U mad? :rofl:

Also, Phil Davis is going to smother Magalh?es. FOTN is the Jim Miler fight or Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff. WMMA always brings it.

I am! Hush. :p I will literally cry tears of happiness if Sonnen can pull it off.

Phil will win, but I think it will be a good battle. I think Miller/Healy will be kind of boring. Yeah, WMMA always delivers for sure.

I am! Hush. :p I will literally cry tears of happiness if Sonnen can pull it off.

Phil will win, but I think it will be a good battle. I think Miller/Healy will be kind of boring. Yeah, WMMA always delivers for sure.

I hope you put some money on Sonnen. Miller vs Lauzon was nothing short of amazing so... if Healy's chin holds up, it should be great. As for Phil, he sure as hell isn't going to submit Magalh?es so quick TKO or lay-and-pray fest. Either way, not FOTN.

Wow, this is was the worst event of the year, clearly a contender for the Top 10 worse PPV ever. Jesus Christ. Bad fights, incredibly bad referees, tons of injuries, a perfect ****storm.

Facebook Prelims

Steven Siler vs. Kurt Holobaugh - Siler gives up a round to a guy he was crushing in the 1st. He did regain his senses in the 3rd and got the decision but still, he could've walked away easily with a 30-27. Against a better fighter, he would've been toast.

Leonard Garcia vs. Cody McKenzie - Didn't watch but I'd wager it was pretty crappy.

Prelims on FX

Bryan Caraway vs. Johnny Bedford - Bedford gets an opponent on 6 days notice and still manages to lose the fight by getting subbed in the last 15 seconds? Come on, this is bad. Caraway was tentative the whole fight, never threw anything of significance and Bedford was just content to paw back at him instead of using his striking advantage. How bad can your fighter IQ be? Caraway was pretty depleted from the weight cut and still managed to control the fight by throwing the same punch over and over again. It was a bad fight overall and will probably put Bedford on the cut list.

Sara McMann vs. Sheila Gaff - Sheila Gaff "fought" a really dumb fight. She looked like Chael bull rushing Anderson Silva on their second fight. And got the same results. How do you manage to fight someone who you know for a goddamned Olympic fact has great wrestling and have no takedown defense nor any ground skills to get the fight back on the feet besides stalling the position and waiting for a standup? McMann did her thing and once again cemented her place as Rousey's real top contender.

Gian Villante vs. Ovince St. Preux - Both of these guys gassed like a popped balloon. I had to look up the venue on Wikipedia to see what altitude it was. OSP had a moment in the first round and failed to capitalize on it. Since that, every round was just the same paw jabs and plodding forward flat footed. A complete **** fest by two gassed LHW. And then the "finish". Goddamn it, he said he couldn't see AT THE MOMENT. The referee was as dumb as a sack of bricks. And instead of a NC like the Davis - Prado fight, you go to the score cards? Shouldn't it be a TKO? DQ? What the hell, what is the criteria? **** fight, **** fighters, **** referee and **** finish. And the worst was yet to come.

Rustam Khabilov vs. Yancy Medeiros - This started out as an average fight. A feeling out process, some jabs here and there and then Rustam started to get his suplex on. Unfortunately, Yancy fell wrong and destroyed his thumb. He still manage to scramble back to his feet with the twisted thumb so kudos for that, but it was over. No way he could keep on fighting and not risk his fighting future. A broken hand is one thing, it's compressed inside of the glove and the wraps, but a thumb ends the fight. The count is now 2-0 for traumatic injuries.

Main Card

Jim Miller vs. Pat Healy - FOTN. Called it :) Miller looked his usual self but Healy looked great. He wasn't super exciting or anything but he worked hard for the win and didn't just coast to the decision. People where already counting Healy out and I can't really blame them for it because Miller has shown time and time again that he's a top tier LW. But people forget that Healy was scheduled to fight Melendez before Strikeforce wrapped. He's also the real deal and will probably shake up the LW division.

Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes - A complete shitfest. Both guys were gassed to all hell. Davis did his best Rashad vs Lil Nog impression and got the W. He's consistently putting himself out of the title picture with these fights. Just skip it, it's not worth your time.

Roy Nelson vs. Cheick Kongo - Bang, and Kongo is gone. How stupid do you have to be to keep yourself in range of such a telegraphed shot? Roy just keeps securing his place as the division's litmus test.

Michael Bisping vs. Alan Belcher - WTF? WTF! Seriously, what a crappy fight. Bisping was his usual self, working hard, throwing punches. Belcher, on the other had, was fighting exactly the same way that cost him the Okami fight: dropping his hands, not having a sense of urgency. Did he learn nothing from it? He didn't even try to put Bisping's lights out once. No high kicks, no flurries, nothing. He just stood there and laughed and Bisping's punches while not producing any offense of his own. He looked like Akyiama vs Shields where Akyiama kept throwing Shields down and just looking at him instead of punching his block off. And the finish, goddamn it! That was awful. This card was eye poke central and that one was as nasty as they come. He ripped Belcher's eyelid and it was bleeding everywhere. Christ ****. And yet again, scorecards. Bisping had the fight in the bag so there was no harm done there. Like most of the card, this fight SUCKED.

Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen - Jones went out and trucked Sonnen. What a surprise. The highlight of this fight was when Jones looked at his foot and saw the injury. He started turning pale and Joe Rogan kept insisting on the interview. What did you think he was going to say "No man, this hurts too much, please leave"? He's the UFC champ, he can't show weakness on that spot. That's how he makes his money and NIKE dollars. Another really nasty injury to end a terrible fight card. Depending on the severity of the injury, this also screws up the whole LHW title timeline. Goddamnit double whammy.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/763357296.gif

Caution: how Jones' toe got broken. If Jones was unable to continue after the round was over or the doctors called the fight, it would've been an injury TKO victory for Sonnen, similar to what his "loss" to Matt Hamill should've been (Hamill had dislocated his shoulder).