brazil targeting kids lawsuits obesity reputation mcdonalds

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,516 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:32

What a load of crap - parents DECIDE what their children eat therefore the responsibility sits with the parents or are they saying parents are idiots?

Then presumably you agree that the ads should be targeted at the parents rather than the children.

#17 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,292 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:33

I guarantee you eat things that makes McDonalds food look lie gourmet cooking, so get off your fake high horse

Because you know me, right? How do you plan to guarantee anything?

Did you notice the ;)?

Or are you just trying to start a fight?

#18 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,297 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:35

This is dumb. Parents buy the food and parents these days would rather give the kids what they want because it easier and less hassle to say no. My parents told me no all the time.

Exactly. My parents bought me up relatively healthy even though i was in London surrounded by take-away's, and you know why? Because they also said 'No'. Plain and simple. If you can't say no when it's necessary for your child's health then i'm sure there's a lot more failings going on in your parenting.

And there are just as many responsible parents now. The issue is that advertising is targeted at children in a way that it wasn't generations ago, which is why there has been a need for restrictions on advertising to children. If the result is that it improves the health and development of children then why exactly is that a bad thing? Nobody is claiming that these restrictions are designed to replace good parenting; they simply complement it.

#19 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 17:58

They should be focusing on more damaging things like "advertising" their religion to a child.

#20 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,162 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:01

Wait... so how is McDonald's advertising to children in a way that any other company isn't already? :huh:

#21 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,215 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:04

They should be focusing on more damaging things like "advertising" their religion to a child.

Not sure what's worse, the food nazi that popped up or the idiots that insist on making everything about their irrational hate of religions

#22 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:06

Maybe not blame, but the $1 menu doesnt help :p

And its been proven that it also doesn't hurt at all. The dollar menu did nothing to increase the number of units sold according to all official reports and is being considered a failure to increase the number of units sold by everyone including McDonalds itself. All it did was decrease income.

And there are just as many responsible parents now. The issue is that advertising is targeted at children in a way that it wasn't generations ago, which is why there has been a need for restrictions on advertising to children. If the result is that it improves the health and development of children then why exactly is that a bad thing? Nobody is claiming that these restrictions are designed to replace good parenting; they simply complement it.

What? Did you miss the part about simply saying no. The child doesn't buy the food. The parent does. Advertising to the child isn't the problem. Parents who raise kids with entitlement complexes is. It really is as simple as saying no. Or is there a hidden contract that all parents must sign that says if the advertising exists and the kid asks for it, they absolutely have to buy it for them? Childhood obesity is nobodies fault but the parents in any possible situation where they are in charge of feeding them.

#23 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:14

What a load of crap - parents DECIDE what their children eat therefore the responsibility sits with the parents or are they saying parents are idiots?

In many cases, kids should be protected from their parents.
This is the job of a good government. It is also the job of the government and the governed to improve each other to decrease amount of idiot parents.

#24 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,292 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:23

I think a lot of people here are confusing poor parenting with advertising to young children directly.

One does not directly relate to the other.

#25 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,392 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 27 April 2013 - 18:28

If you're trying to reduce health care expenditure and improve the quality of life if your citizens then reducing the likelihood that kids will be exposed to fast food and treat it as normal is one way to go.

It's not about good or bad parenting.

#26 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,727 posts
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 April 2013 - 19:08

I here you but i respectably disagree.

The advertising is no more aimed at the children than it was when i was a kid. That's to say, some advertising was already aimed at children and some was aimed at adults, the way it has always been.

The fact is, it's not the kids walking in to McD's a plopping the cash down on the counter, it's the parents.

What i will say however is that fast food is horrible and does need to be replaced with good healthy food whenever possible, unfortunately fast food is easier, quicker and cheaper to grab than a healthy alternative.

#27 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,960 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:54

......people are stupid

#28 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 00:57

This is dumb. Parents buy the food and parents these days would rather give the kids what they want because it easier and less hassle to say no. My parents told me no all the time.

You apparently have not seen the kid panhandling that goes on at some McDonald's -- probably cuz the parents won't give them money. :laugh:

#29 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,237 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:04

Attached Images

• images.jpg

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:21

You have to admit, it's sneaky to advertise to the kids instead of the parents. The kids will see the commercial and whine to the parents until they take them.