new jersey thesis rutgers university facebook page reddit back-up

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,273 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:21

I feel really bad for him. It's just one of those situations that wouldn't happen if you exercised even a sliver of caution. I backup assignments to an external hard drive just in case my main hard drive fails. I imagine I'd backup a 5-year thesis to many places (hard drives, file storage services, thumb drives and DVDs).

#17 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

• 3,291 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:36

always love PhD students... they are "smarter then you" or so they like to say..... yet they aren't smart enough to keep backups of something that is literally your life's work.....

and the excuse "I don't know how to" with them doesn't fly.... considering they are (masters in) RESEARCH students... so research it and do it!

The unfortunate reality is very, very few people constantly back up their stuff, or even periodically. Even most of the technical people I know don't do it - heck, even the people I work with at a software house don't do it at home. (Obviously the company does at work :p).

I'm pretty technically minded and even I didn't do it fully until SkyDrive desktop syncing app came out, and only then because it was no additional hassle on my part, and because my files aren't that large. If I had hundreds of gigs of movies and pictures and documents, the additional time and expenditure and effort to get a good backup system working seems daunting, even if the reality isn't as much. And even that's not much of a backup becasue if the files get corrupted on my machine, they get synced backup to SkyDrive corrupted (though granted, there is a file history on SkyDrive thankfully).

#18 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,271 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:01

yet if all these guys died tomorrow, we'd all be screwed. do you know how to generate electricity ? treat water so its drinkable?process foods? make toilet paper? know anything about medicine? if the average joe dies,the world continues to function the way it does.

if all the PhD's died, I'm sure there are people just as smart as them out there that didn't devote their life to continuing school forever doing research... plus we have books, all kinds of stored information, and current knowledge that would keep everything going... you'd literally have to destroy every library in the world and all patent documents, and everything else... if you have any of those, someone can figure everything out again...

#19 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,187 posts
  • Phone: ZTE Crescent

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:07

What kind of moron would spend 5 years on something and not back it up to some online data storage?

#20 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,517 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:22

if all the PhD's died, I'm sure there are people just as smart as them out there that didn't devote their life to continuing school forever doing research... plus we have books, all kinds of stored information, and current knowledge that would keep everything going... you'd literally have to destroy every library in the world and all patent documents, and everything else... if you have any of those, someone can figure everything out again...

what kind of book would have the list of the 11 secret herbs and spices used in that succulent KFC flavor.

#21 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 24,703 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:43

Yep i've known some pretty smart people who were common sense dumb. This is one case.

#22 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 1,958 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:49

yet if all these guys died tomorrow, we'd all be screwed. do you know how to generate electricity ? treat water so its drinkable?process foods? make toilet paper? know anything about medicine? if the average joe dies,the world continues to function the way it does.

. If all of the PHDs died tomorrow, life would go on. Phds have 0 to do with intelligence and everything to do with being patient enough to go through 12 years of school for a piece of paper, Higher ed is pretty masturbatory now anyway.

However, if all of the "average joes" died tomorrow, civilization would collapse :) Mostly because the average joes comprise most of the population, but it's also because the average joes are the ones feeding us, getting oil out of the ground, constructing buildings and bridges, and have been doing that **** for centuries. Respect the average joe.

#23 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• 5,257 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:51

Smarter in their field maybe....but overall they are not smarter than you :D

Precisely, I've had to walk a senior medical professional step by step on how to perform what was to me, a very simple process on the computer.

#24 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,579 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 21:56

no backup, typical

#25 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,271 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:30

what kind of book would have the list of the 11 secret herbs and spices used in that succulent KFC flavor.

um, the piece of paper that KFC has locked up in it's HQ... the same kinda recipe that Coke has locked up..... etc... most valuable information is written down somewhere

#26 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• 1,142 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:36

The unfortunate reality is very, very few people constantly back up their stuff, or even periodically. Even most of the technical people I know don't do it - heck, even the people I work with at a software house don't do it at home. (Obviously the company does at work :p).

I'm pretty technically minded and even I didn't do it fully until SkyDrive desktop syncing app came out, and only then because it was no additional hassle on my part, and because my files aren't that large. If I had hundreds of gigs of movies and pictures and documents, the additional time and expenditure and effort to get a good backup system working seems daunting, even if the reality isn't as much. And even that's not much of a backup becasue if the files get corrupted on my machine, they get synced backup to SkyDrive corrupted (though granted, there is a file history on SkyDrive thankfully).

I have to agree. Backups are unfortunately fairly uncommon, even among techies. I have had enough trouble getting most of my immediate family to perform regular backups, not to mention all of the professors I have helped with hard drive failure and no backups.

I backup my personal data almost religiously. I perform twice-daily full backups of all my machines to my server, which maintains daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots of all data on its mirrored backup drives. It also syncs to a remote server nightly that stores backups in a similar fashion. I have three copies of all my data and should lose no more than 1 day's worth of work if 2 of the 3 sources fail simultaneously. Apparently that's uncommon.

#27 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

• 355 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:53

"I have had enough trouble getting most of my immediate family to perform regular backups" - Making a backup, kills the backup. People don't want to do things they don't see a gain from. The key to successful backup is invisibility. Skydrive with junction folders, working on a network drive on the home server, windows backup (to the home server?) - all that good stuff.

#28 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 797 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:06

Use a Cloud service to backup data, easy sync. If you leave data only on your Hard-Drive, then that data is considered non valuable.

An Hard-Drive can brake or die, and it takes more than 1000$ to read the 0 and 1 of the plates.

So if you consider your laptop/phone Data Important, than you should have an alternative backup Everytime, its plain simple.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:08

Yeah -- very hard to understand why they would not have backed up something so important, six ways from Sunday.

Yeah, I too learned the hard way to backup. Especially if you have 5 years of work sitting on your computer and can't afford to lose it.

#30 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,579 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:18

I have to agree. Backups are unfortunately fairly uncommon, even among techies. I have had enough trouble getting most of my immediate family to perform regular backups, not to mention all of the professors I have helped with hard drive failure and no backups.

I backup my personal data almost religiously. I perform twice-daily full backups of all my machines to my server, which maintains daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly snapshots of all data on its mirrored backup drives. It also syncs to a remote server nightly that stores backups in a similar fashion. I have three copies of all my data and should lose no more than 1 day's worth of work if 2 of the 3 sources fail simultaneously. Apparently that's uncommon.

what do you use to automate all that? and what remote server setup are you using? consumer service or your own server?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!